PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 on an encrypted filesystem

loksiz
May 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Okay, so I was running Ubuntu 11.10 with a dm-crypt/LUKS encrypted file-system and just tried to update to 12.04 with the Update Manager.

It downloaded all the necessary packages and started installing them and suddenly got this error with libc6 : http://askubuntu.com/questions/129757/im-upgrading-to-ubuntu-12-04-and-the-installation-is-stuck-at-preparing-libc6

(http://askubuntu.com/questions/129757/im-upgrading-to-ubuntu-12-04-and-the-installation-is-stuck-at-preparing-libc6)
Because of this, I had a reboot in the middle of the upgrade because it clearly seemed to have completely crashed.

After that, I can no longer boot Ubuntu. It asks me for the password to open the encrypted partition, says it's successful and I get the boot screen with the dots looping over and over again. The recovery mode doesn't work at all.

I tried booting on a 12.04 live CD to check if my partition was still there. It is but I can't seem to open it. (I don't know if the partition is corrupted or if it's because the live CD is unable to open it).

Anyway, I'm stuck and I fear I might have to format and reinstall everything (which I do not want to do).

Doesn't anybody have any pointers? Any tips? Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks.

nothingspecial
May 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

loksiz
May 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Okay, so I eventually found a way to solve my problem with this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/125649/reboot-during-update-glibc-error/126542#126542

Here's what I did to restore the upgrade process:

Boot from a live CD, start a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and do the following commands:

sudo -i

apt-get install lvm2

Then, go to the file explorer (Nautilus) and mount the hard drive in question, which should give you a path to it as /media/[random set of letters and numbers]/

Then, go back to the terminal and do the following commands:

cp /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.15.so [path to your hard drive which you can determine from Nautilus]/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

cd [path to your hard drive which you can determine from Nautilus]/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

rm libc.so.6

ln -s libc-2.15.so libc.so.6

cd /mnt

mount -t sysfs sys [path to your hard drive which you can determine from Nautilus]/sys

mount -o bind /dev [path to your hard drive which you can determine from Nautilus]/dev

mount -t proc proc [path to your hard drive which you can determine from Nautilus]/proc

chroot [path to your hard drive which you can determine from Nautilus]

ls # make sure ls does not complain about libc!

apt-get -f install

apt-get dist-upgrade

At some point, one of the apt-get might "fail" and ask you to do a "dpkg --configure -a". Do it as it solves the problem.

Then, you should be able to reboot. Run "Additional Drivers", "Computer Janitor" and "Update Manager" and you should be good to go. At least, it worked for me.