PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] LuBuntu Question

CWM84
May 19th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Just looking for someone who runs LUBUNTU all the time.. I have a question...

I have a very old DELL Optiplex gx280 and was running XUBUNTU it has 512 mb ram and 40 gig hardrive..

I noticed on xu.... It would try to lock up so I did an in place upgrade (( SUDO APT-GET INSTALL LUBUNTU-DESKTOP ) and so far so well...

Just wondering.. Is Lubuntu safe for use full time? I hard it was still buggy and this and this was wrong.. ETC?

I really like how it lets you install what you want and not fill you up with crap you'll never use.. I can install Libre Office and this and that and not be fulled up with programs ill never use :) FREEDOM!

ID LIKE TO use this on my in production machine ( the one we use all the time ) the laptop 4 gigs of ram running xubuntu...

Please Advise!

Thanks,
Christopher

Peripheral Visionary
May 19th, 2012, 01:47 AM
LXDE on Ubuntu got off to a really slow start, but everything I've read suggests that they have completely overcome almost all of the old bugs. If Xubuntu ever becomes too much for my old hand-me-down Dell (also a 512-RAM machine), Lubuntu is where I'll look first for a great Xubu alternative.

Surprisingly I'm having no issues at all with Xubu Precise on this very modest old beast. Even with a few extras installed, it's been even more quick and agile as Xubu Lucid was on this machine. If it weren't, I'd definitely be giving Lubu a shot. It has a superb reputation for speed, reliability, stability, beauty, and simplicity.

DMGrier
May 19th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I ran Lubuntu about a year or so ago on my Dell netbook with intel atom 1.6 Ghz cpu and 2 GB DDR2 memory and it operated like a dream. It reminded me of the light Ubuntu 8.04. Never had any problems with it.

Rodney9
May 19th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Lubuntu is perfect for older machines and is a stable, fast and lightweight OS.

For How-To's and Information on Lubuntu

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

For Screen-Casts on Lubuntu

http://blip.tv/rss/bookmarks/206798

Rodney

LeGasp
May 19th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I have used Lubuntu on my old Dell Inspiron B130 for a few months now. No issues except LXKeymap in 12.04, which I was never able to even start. That doesn't bother me though because I don't really need it.

DMGrier
May 19th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I have used Lubuntu on my old Dell Inspiron B130 for a few months now. No issues except LXKeymap in 12.04, which I was never able to even start. That doesn't bother me though because I don't really need it.
I had a Dell B130, one of the best laptops I had ever owned, had it for almost five years.

Worp8d
May 19th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I use Lubuntu exclusively on both my laptop and desktop. It's not quite as smooth as Ubuntu, but I would definitely describe it as "safe", and the benefits far outway any minor hassles. In fact, with the 12.04 release I've not noticed any significant problems. In 11.04 I had some video card resolution issues on the desktop, but that was about it. Everything else is just minor issues that only the pedantic will bother with. (e.g. enabling numlock on start, some terminal programs only like to be started from a terminal)

Lubuntu is currently, IMHO, the best of the Ubuntu clan.

CWM84
May 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone!

I will have to upgrade my XFCE to LUBUNTU... :)

I do sort of like it better since it lets me install what I want to have installed :)