View Full Version : a freedom 0 writer.

xcasex
May 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
soon i discovered that this writing thing was true
Aaron Dembski-Bowden was the devil
Lorgar was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
all of a sudden, i found myself in love with the GrimDark
so there was only one thing that i could do
was ding a ding dang my mag into my boltgun.

nah, haha.
So, soon after my ex died, a full year after quitting my career, a full year since divorcing my wife.
I decided to start writing again, 14 years since i penned my last poem, ten years since my last spoken word rant, 7 years since my last song.

I'm aiming for the next BL "writer's wanted" announcement and am currently finishing up a contemporary book on the topic of how it was as a guy, growing up near substance abuse and other tripes in life.

Now like so many before me, the oft cited and memorable Mark Pilgrim, the Disney fetischist Corey Doctorow, I made the decision to use free software to do my bidding as a slave to the grammar.

Since most publishers demand the toxic sludge we call .doc files and to a lesser extent, pdf files which i abhorr like the biblical plague that it is, I took to using ReText on Ubuntu.
ReText supports markdown, markdown is a BFF from the days of punishing myself with Movable Type. Aside from being much like that Wendigo you wake up next to after a hard weekend of partying, its quite easy to make a conversion script that reformats the markdown text to pdf and doc.

Any other aspiring writers, ateurs or happy amateurs willing to share their experiences with writing or their favorite tools?

sffvba[e0rt
May 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I haven't ever sat down and just wrote (as much as I wish I have). Years ago I used to play several PBEM free-style writing games that was able to keep the apatite in check...

Now it is simply to much other things keeping me from doing it :-/

Good luck with your undertakings.

coldraven
May 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM
This must be the golden age for writers. Now you can publish to the world from your bedroom. You can find an old laptop at the dump, install some X/L/Ubuntu goodness on it, sit in a café all day for the price of one coffee and wi-fi your thoughts to all.
By comparison, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Out_in_Paris_and_London

Keep well.

xcasex
May 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
not found:
To be utterly devoid of any excuse for a burduse behaviour in an explanation, oh and verbose!
Writing is a lot like being a dish washer at a pub, its a matter of manning the **** up, and get down and gritty.
Write, write, write, get it out. Then edit, edit, edit. :)

coldraven:
Agreed, but i have a different motivator, and i also do not aim at doing anything but finding a publisher, not a publisher/sales/marketing/whatevah. I aim to publish via my blog and its not something i imagine i'll be able to live off of. Being someone with a very active imagination and going off into tangents of "oh man that would be cool if(...)" I decided to be the signal, instead of being the noise.

Thanks both of you :)

rai4shu2
May 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
How about just good old leafpad? It's pretty close to what you were limited to a mere twenty years ago. Leave all that markup to publishers/editors/whatever.

sffvba[e0rt
May 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I forget to mention that I would suggest installing Focus Writer from the software store...

moodle
August 30th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I like pyroom - distraction free text editing software.

Random_Dude
August 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Why not a maximized terminal with Vim running and using LaTeX?
You can write each chapter into a separate .tex file and then include all in one main file. It's distraction free and you can get a nice looking output.

Cheers