PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GNU-Autotools: Building an executable?

fallenshadow
May 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hi guys/gals,

I recently went to update my GNU autotools for my project. I did so and thought it was working perfectly until it created a class library (shared library) instead of a working executable. :?

Can anyone explain why this is happening? or offer a solution?

fallenshadow
May 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Here is an image to show you what result I get and what the result should be:

On the left the expected result, on the right - what happens after using make.

http://ubuntuone.com/1PQmKTALMbHAsTH51VGXnK

I think maybe this GNU autotools implementation is too complex for me, when I only need something pretty simple.

athina
May 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM
you can always use eclipse (or another ide). nice editor, debug tools and many options (gui) for building apps

pbrane
May 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Hi guys/gals,

I recently went to update my GNU autotools for my project. I did so and thought it was working perfectly until it created a class library (shared library) instead of a working executable. :?

Can anyone explain why this is happening? or offer a solution?

The file created is actually an executable ELF file. You can run it from the command line to verify. I don't know why the file manager sees it as a shared library. I'm trying to find a solution, I'll post back if I do.

EDIT: simply remove the compiler flag -fPIE -pie

fallenshadow
May 21st, 2012, 04:53 PM
I tried that but every time I run ./configure the output in the terminal is this:

Preprocessor Flags ...: -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fPIE -pie -Wall
Compiler Flags .......: -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fPIE -pie -Wall -pthread ETC.

That means its putting it in there for some reason. How can I stop it inserting it every time?

pbrane
May 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
run ./autogen.sh to rebuild the configure script. If you don't have autogen.sh use autoreconf.

Make sure you are editing configure.ac or configure.in as the case may be.

fallenshadow
May 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks, got it sorted this morning! :)