PDA

View Full Version : Good Power Consumption for Laptop

TheNessus
May 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hey all.

I've heard many and plenty about the power regression in Linux, and also heard that it is back to a good power consumption with 12.04.

According to PowerTop and after a few tweaks, removing Gwibber and UbuntuOne, installing Jupiter, and more - my lappy takes about somewhere between 750 mW to 1.70 W, depending on use. Is it something would you'd consider a good power consumption or bad?

Also, another question: I heard that Linux doesn't treat batteries well and shortens their life span. True? False? fixed?

Thanks.

Paqman
May 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM
my lappy takes about somewhere between 750 mW to 1.70 W, depending on use. Is it something would you'd consider a good power consumption or bad?

If it was true, it would be exceptionally good. However, there's absolutely no way your laptop uses that little. Even an ARM machine like a Sheevaplug would struggle to get under 1W. Atom netbooks are about 10-15W, anything with a faster chip will be looking at 20-30W or upwards.

Powertop is obviously not reading your actual use properly.

TheNessus
May 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM
If it was true, it would be exceptionally good. However, there's absolutely no way your laptop uses that little. Even an ARM machine like a Sheevaplug would struggle to get under 1W. Atom netbooks are about 10-15W, anything with a faster chip will be looking at 20-30W or upwards.

Powertop is obviously not reading your actual use properly.

damn, and I was hopeful.