PDA

View Full Version : User Ranks

Technoviking
May 17th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'm updating some of the users ranks. You should see the changes as the database updates, let me know what you think. I'm only testing these, and may not be the final ones.

Cheers,
T-V

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 08:01 PM
*pokes thread*

I like the admin one. :)

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Cool! Looks better than the old ones.

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Is this gonna change only for the mods, LoCo and all those other teams? If it is only those, in my opinion, it looks out of uniform with the beans.

Technoviking
May 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM
All will be replaced but there are a few dozen of them to create. I want people opinion of the one I have changed to see if I'm going in the right direction.

T-V

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
All will be replaced but there are a few dozen of them to create. I want people opinion of the one I have changed to see if I'm going in the right direction.

T-V

Like, the users too?

(not like i'm complaining or anything)

matt_symes
May 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Shiny Shiny :D

Dry Lips
May 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM
There is nothing to distinguish between the user ranks graphically... Had you perhaps planned to use the Ubuntu logo the way same way as they do with the Kubuntu logo over at http://www.kubuntuforums.net ? At the moment the Ubuntu logo next to the user rank doesn't provide any information, it is a bit superfluous the way it is used now...

So perhaps you could explain what your intentions was about this?

Technoviking
May 17th, 2012, 10:40 PM
My only intention is to have the user ranks match the new theme. I will be using other pictograms for other user ranks.

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Aah... I see.

bodhi.zazen
May 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM
My only intention is to have the user ranks match the new theme. I will be using other pictograms for other user ranks.

-.-

Dry Lips
May 17th, 2012, 10:50 PM

Yeah, obviously ;) What I was thinking about is that you apparently use the same ubuntu logo for Forum Admin, Forum Staff and Ubuntu Member. Perhaps is it an idea to distinguish between these ranks graphically as well?

odiseo77
May 17th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Looks nice to me. Only thing is, the images on post #9 are a bit tiny (at least in this machine at work), so I can't identify them very well (except for the first one). I think it would also be nice to have user icons that somehow relate to the user rank by post numbers. Something like the current system; not necessarily with coffee as a theme, but with some theme that can give an account of how many posts a user has or how advanced he/she is.

Cheers.

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Looks nice to me. Only thing is, the images on post #9 are a bit tiny (at least in this machine at work), so I can't identify them very well (except for the first one). I think it would also be nice to have user icons that somehow relate to the user rank by post numbers. Something like the current system; not necessarily with coffee as a theme, but with some theme that can give an account of how many posts a user has or how advanced he/she is.

Cheers.
I think they are just thumbnails.

Dry Lips
May 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM
What I was thinking about is that you apparently use the same ubuntu logo for Forum Admin, Forum Staff and Ubuntu Member. Perhaps is it an idea to distinguish between these ranks graphically as well?

Just to expand on what I wrote above... Perhaps a different colour for these three different rank was all that was needed?

IWantFroyo
May 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Just to expand on what I wrote above... Perhaps a different colour for these three different rank was all that was needed?

+1 to your idea. A bit more variety in color would be nice, too. Any Lucid style purple coming up?

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 11:52 PM
+1 to your idea. A bit more variety in color would be nice, too. Any Lucid style purple coming up?
Not in the branding guide.

Technoviking
May 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM

Nope, I can make a blue one for Kubuntu membership rank, but other than that.

T-V

Bandit
May 18th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Nope, I can make a blue one for Kubuntu membership rank, but other than that.

T-V

I feel for you Mike, I really do. Seems like they want you to paint a Picasso with both hands tied behind you back..

I know its tuff, but keep up the good work. :)

Technoviking
May 18th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I feel for you Mike, I really do. Seems like they want you to paint a Picasso with both hands tied behind you back..

I know its tuff, but keep up the good work. :)

If it wasn't for the guidelines anything I would create would look at something a three year old would make.

T-V;)

zombifier25
May 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
No offense, but methink the new one is ugly. I like the old one (but it uses the old font and the old Ubuntu logo)
If you won't change it anytime soon, at least make the logo move to the left. It's more logical.

With that said, I really appreciate what you are doing to this forum :)

Technoviking
May 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
No offense, but methink the new one is ugly. I like the old one (but it uses the old font and the old Ubuntu logo)
If you won't change it anytime soon, at least make the logo move to the left. It's more logical.

With that said, I really appreciate what you are doing to this forum :)
The new one more reflect the new position of the circle of friends.

T-V

grahammechanical
May 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM
You really need to put some more effort into the fourth user image in those attachments. :) :) :)

Regards and thank you for your work on our behalf.

Technoviking
May 21st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Here is a new set. The pictograms are smaller. Admin and staff get two pictograms. The front gear represent they are one of the gears keep the forums running and the circle of friends represents they are a leader in the community. The Ubuntu Member get the circle of friends representing their sustained work in Ubuntu, same for Kubuntu. Users get a fish pictogram which represents community.

This is the starting set, and all the one I will create.

The font size is 13px to match the theme, and the pictograms are 12 px.

Thoughts?
T-V

Dry Lips
May 21st, 2012, 08:19 PM
This is definitively a step in the right direction!

The pictograms and the font now match each other in size. The pictograms were a wee bit too big before. In addition you have separated the forum staff from the Ubuntu members by adding the second icon. If I was going to nitpick on something, I would say that I still wish there were something that separated the forum staff from the forum admins. Perhaps the icons for the admins could have had a slightly darker colour, for instance the same way as the names of the admins are displayed in a darker orange than the names of the mods.

P.S. Good job!

forrestcupp
May 21st, 2012, 10:03 PM
I still think they're too small. I can't even tell what the heck the user pictogram is supposed to be. I kind of wish we could just stick to the old ones because the mystery of what they meant was part of the fun of posting here.

So every little pictogram on here has to fit within their semitone color scheme? We're not allowed any detail even in the pictograms?

Linuxratty
May 22nd, 2012, 01:07 AM
Will there still be the clever little random sayings for everyone like "Too much Ubuntu",etc?

codingman
May 22nd, 2012, 02:02 AM
Here is a new set. The pictograms are smaller. Admin and staff get two pictograms. The front gear represent they are one of the gears keep the forums running and the circle of friends represents they are a leader in the community. The Ubuntu Member get the circle of friends representing their sustained work in Ubuntu, same for Kubuntu. Users get a fish pictogram which represents community.

This is the starting set, and all the one I will create.

The font size is 13px to match the theme, and the pictograms are 12 px.

Thoughts?
T-V

Too small, and, what the heck are the flower pictograms for?
I'm guessing the forums memeber is going to be used for people like us, like, instead of the bean pictograms?

Bandit
May 22nd, 2012, 03:32 AM
I'm guessing the forums memeber is going to be used for people like us, like, instead of the bean pictograms?

LOL Yea the gears do look like flowers. Only reason I didnt think that at first is old legacy icons. The fish may look better and more clear as just a fish, not in a circle. That way it can look bigger while not being any bigger then current icon.

Technoviking
May 22nd, 2012, 04:29 AM

It is a gear.

T-V

Linuxratty
May 22nd, 2012, 04:50 AM
It is a gear.

T-V

You could have fooled me.And actually,you did fool me.I also saw it as a flower.

forrestcupp
May 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
I know you want to match the theme, but I really don't think that flat shade of orange is good for a pictogram. There's no detail to it. If you look at the old pictograms, you'll notice that there is good contrast between the base colors and the shading, which gives them a lot of detail, and it's easy to tell what they are supposed to be. Orange is great for button colors, and banner colors. But it's not so great for pictograms, which are supposed to be detailed and represent things. Even ubuntu.com has a picture of a laptop on their front page that has colors other than orange and aubergine. I think there are some cases, like this, where it would be acceptable.

I can understand the need to do away with the coffee pictograms, but at least exchange it for something on par with what we had, even if that means coming up with the idea and depending on people in the community who are artistically inclined. You don't have to try to do everything yourself.

Paqman
May 22nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
Users get a fish pictogram which represents community.

Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I really don't get fish=community at all. I was wondering what the fish symbol meant.

I agree with forestcupp that they lack detail. Making icons that small clear is actually really hard. You need some contrast to bump up the clarity.

codingman
May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
It is a gear.

T-V

Oh wow! I got fooled badly!

Linuxratty
May 23rd, 2012, 02:43 AM
I can understand the need to do away with the coffee pictograms, but at least exchange it for something on par with what we had, even if that means coming up with the idea and depending on people in the community who are artistically inclined. You don't have to try to do everything yourself.

I agree with this.I like the whimsical nature of the beans and I think that really makes this site unique. To come up with something equivalent might take a bit of brain storming,but a lot of brainy people hang their hats here.

Bandit
May 23rd, 2012, 03:13 AM
In regards to the potential change from Coffee to something else more community like. It would be great to get more feedback from the community what everyone would like.

My thoughts, and just a thought. Perhaps something like Helping Hands, something that says Community and Support. Ehh.. IDK.. A theme that fits the Community spirit and shows Support would be nice.. Wheres one of those Farmers Insurance guys for all the answers when you need them?!?!

MisterGaribaldi
May 23rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
I am utterly un-preoccupied with what my user rank is. Am I the only one?

Paqman
May 23rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
I agree with this.I like the whimsical nature of the beans and I think that really makes this site unique. To come up with something equivalent might take a bit of brain storming,but a lot of brainy people hang their hats here.

I agree, I like the beans. I wouldn't want to see them replaced with something bland. Just because the forum is getting bigger all the time doesn't mean it has to become a fun-free zone.

chamber
May 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM

Nope. I couldn't care less either. They really aren't that important unless you are an ubunutu member, moderator or admin.

codingman
May 23rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
how about little terminal pictograms?

CharlesA
May 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
i agree, i like the beans. I wouldn't want to see them replaced with something bland. Just because the forum is getting bigger all the time doesn't mean it has to become a fun-free zone.
+1

Bandit
May 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Perhaps the beans should be left as is for now. But start up a contest for a new theme and offer the winner a small token like a Ubuntu t-shirt or something. Contest can really fuel some creative thinking.

Technoviking
May 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Here is another idea.

Thoughts,
T-V

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I like those TV :)

matt_symes
May 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I really don't get fish=community at all. I was wondering what the fish symbol meant.

I agree and i have to ask T-V, how does a fish represent community ?

Don't get me wrong, i am not bothered by it but i am confused.

Technoviking
May 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
I agree and i have to ask T-V, how does a fish represent community ?

Don't get me wrong, i am not bothered by it but i am confused.

It is the common pictogram used for Ubuntu events and conference for community. Ask the design team :).

T-V

mips
May 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Test post!?

Edit: I see no difference.

forrestcupp
May 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Here is another idea.

Thoughts,
T-V

I still can't hardly tell what that is supposed to be for the Forums Member. So that's supposed to be a fish? I still think you need to have some community artists work on this so we can have something that's not inferior to what we already have.

And it will be kind of disappointing to do away with the system of the pictograms mysteriously changing with your activity. That's one of the fun things about posting here. I'm still working on my 2nd tall glass. :)

Bandit
May 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Here is another idea.

Thoughts,
T-V

:: Thumbs Up ::

Those are very nice, easy to read as well.

About the Fish, The Fish if I am not mistaken represents a community of users moving together in parallel. I could be wrong and it just to show who is the bait for the bigger fish.. :(

matt_symes
May 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
I'm still working on my 2nd tall glass. :)

So am i forrestcupp. *hick* :D

mips
May 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
So am i forrestcupp. *hick* :D

And I've completely lost the plot.

wojox
May 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
And I've completely lost the plot.

Don't worry mips, you have three full tall glasses. :p

Elfy
May 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
/me is not taken with them he's afraid

IWantFroyo
May 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
/Just noticed forestpiskie changed his forum name.

Thanks, T-V!

Isaacgallegos
May 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
My title should be, "mark as spam".

Dry Lips
May 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
T-V: I like the idea of using rectangles. But what about drawing a little inspiration from the way the quote buttons are made? I think the rectangles need a little more edge, so using the quote buttons as a template would perhaps be a good idea...

Another thing is that the font you use don't look good when is it so small. A pixellated font similar to the one used for the quote buttons would do the trick to make it stand more out.

I don't think using black rectangles is a good idea... Or rather, if I used it I would have saved it for the most rare user ranks, such as for instance forum admin. For more common user ranks I would have used HEX #AEA79F & HEX #333333 instead.

I also agree with what people have said about having more ranks... The many user ranks we have at the moment is a fun idea. A support forum can become
somewhat dry and serious, but the coffee themed user ranks have been a positive and unpretentious counterweight to the inherent dryness of computer related stuff. Of course the old ranks have got to go, but what about creating a replacement in the same spirit?

Perhaps some of the people here could come up with some ideas about new user ranks?

|{urse
May 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM

Dry Lips
May 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Idea for user ranks:

What does Ubuntu have which Microsoft and Apple haven't? Answer: A space travelling guru! I think Mr. Shuttleworth even brought a laptop with Ubuntu on his trip. So why not make space themed user ranks? :KS :KS :KS

0-50: Space Monkey colour: warm grey text/graphix on white rectangle
50-500: Space Tourist colour: cool grey text/graphix on white rectangle
500-1000: Rocket Scientist colour: white text/graphix on warm grey rectangle
1000-3000: Cosmonaut colour: white text/graphix on cool grey rectangle
3000-10000: Interstellar Traveller colour: orange text/graphix on white rectangle
10000-20000: Galactic Sentinel colour: white text/graphix on orange rectangle
Above 20000: Hal 9000 colour: white text/graphix on black rectangle

In addition:
Kubuntu member: colour: white text/graphix on blue rectangle
Ubuntu member: colour: white text/graphix on green? rectangle
Forum staff: colour: white text/graphix on orange rectangle
Forum admin: colour: white text/graphix on black rectangle

BlinkinCat
May 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
/Just noticed forestpiskie changed his forum name.

I'm guessing a bit, but I think it was about four days ago - ;)

Technoviking
May 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Rounded.

rk0r
May 23rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Idea for user ranks:

What does Ubuntu have which Microsoft and Apple haven't? Answer: A space travelling guru! I think Mr. Shuttleworth even brought a laptop with Ubuntu on his trip. So why not make space themed user ranks? :KS :KS :KS

3000-10000: Interstellar Traveller colour: orange text/graphix on white rectangle

In addition:

I like your concept, however i think the forums have adopted a caffeine / coffee worship theme and its here for ever.. probably until the universe becomes a nothing.

Bandit
May 23rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Rounded.

:: Two Thumbs Up :: :KS

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
What does Ubuntu have which Microsoft and Apple haven't?

Courage!

What puts the "ape" in ape-ricot?
Whatta they got that I ain't got?

Courage!

ikt
May 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Fantastic!

matt_symes
May 24th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I prefer the rounded user rank images T-V, they match the rest of the site livery such as the banner and the "new reply" button.

I believe consistency is important for a professional looking site.

Linuxratty
May 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM

I find the ranks to be one of the most interesting little bit of whimsy on this forum..One never knows what it's going to change to,or when.
And yes,replacing the beans would be a shame...Perhaps if the beans were orange?
I really don't care for the fish idea..Why not little orange Tuxes with white bellies?
The space theme is also a really clever idea!
Still,if I had my druthers,I'd go with the coffee theme.

Paqman
May 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM
It is the common pictogram used for Ubuntu events and conference for community. Ask the design team :).

Still, hardly intuitive is it? If you're not privy to that bit of internal Ubuntu lore you'll be left none the wiser.

sffvba[e0rt
May 24th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Still, hardly intuitive is it? If you're not privy to that bit of internal Ubuntu lore you'll be left none the wiser.

Because everything is always obvious to everyone from the start?

Paqman
May 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Because everything is always obvious to everyone from the start?

Icons and symbols work a lot better if they are, yes.

codingman
May 27th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Idea for user ranks:

In addition:

see this site: http://design.ubuntu.com/assets/colour-palette

mips
May 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
The user thingies should be a different colour to the admin/staff ones. Right now at a quick glance there is nothing distinguishing them at first sight.

Dry Lips
May 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
see this site: http://design.ubuntu.com/assets/colour-palette

All of those colours are found in the palette, with the exception of the "Kubuntu Member" and "Ubuntu member." (At the moment we're using green text for the Ubuntu members anyway, which is why I suggested it.) Also, these were just suggestions intended as a way of showing how light hearted user ranks could have been implemented. In other words, I was brainstorming ;)

codingman
May 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
All of those colours are found in the palette, with the exception of the "Kubuntu Member" and "Ubuntu member." (At the moment we're using green text for the Ubuntu members anyway, which is why I suggested it.) Also, these were just suggestions intended as a way of showing how light hearted user ranks could have been implemented. In other words, I was brainstorming ;)

Oh I get it ;)