PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one whose flash crashes all the time?

Bazon
May 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Is it only me, or has your flash also became significant more unstable?
I'm happy I always dualboot with a recent and a previous ubuntu version, so I got a old libflashplayer.so (Version 11,1,102,63) which really runs better.
What has happen?

IWantFroyo
May 17th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't have this issue. It has gotten a bit more laggy for me, however.

cariboo
May 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm running Quantal here, and don't have any flash problems.

Erik1984
May 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM
There seems to be an increase in reported Flash problems (both here and on my local forums) but I'm not sure what the cause is. I had the smurfs problem (blue people in videos :P) but that could be fixed by disabling hw acceleration (I doubt that even worked btw). However other users can't even get to that option to disable it. Maybe it's the combination of (particular version of) flash with (particular version of drivers for) video card that causes trouble.

MisterGaribaldi
May 18th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Am I the only one whos flashs crashes all the time?

Yep, Bazon, you're the only one for whom flashs crashes.

Hey, that rhymes! :P

For the rest of us, flashs is perfectly stable, because Adobes writes excellent software.

rai4shu2
May 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Flash never crashes on me (mainly because I use Gnash instead).

wolfen69
May 18th, 2012, 05:25 AM
It's been perfect for me for years. No complaints.

Flash never crashes on me (mainly because I use Gnash instead).
Yeah, gnash is the way to go. :confused:

Bandit
May 18th, 2012, 05:34 AM
No flash issues here either..

jmore9
May 18th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Works fine here in ubuntu but when running suse 12.1 kde it crashes every other time it is opened.

wolfen69
May 18th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Works fine here in ubuntu but when running suse 12.1 kde it crashes every other time it is opened.

Well it is opensuse. ;)

No flash issues here either..
Funny how our experiences seem similar.

na5h
May 18th, 2012, 06:31 AM
No, you are not the only one...many users have problems with flash these days. Google Chrome is probably the best option if you want your flash to be as crash-free as possible (if I'm not mistaking, Chrome will be the only browser to receive flash-updates on Linux in the future). As for youtube videos, the HTML5-option for viewing videos is quite nice!

carl4926
May 18th, 2012, 06:38 AM
From what I have read the bug in flash is affecting folks with nvidia cards.
It does me
But my Intel laptops are fine

Disabling HW Accel does seem to do the trick

Gnash is a wet paper bag, but I'd love to see the end of adobe flash.

wolfen69
May 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Gnash is a wet paper bag,

Funny, someone was bragging about using gnash to avoid problems by adobe. BUT, they didn't say that gnash completely sucks as an alternative. If you don't have plans to go to youtube or most websites, then by all means, use gnash. Have fun.

ubuntu27
May 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I don't have any problems with Adobe Flash 11.2.202.235ubuntu0.12.04.1 in Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit with Intel Integrated Graphics

On the other hand, Flash keeps crashing frequently on my sibling's laptop. That laptop has an nvidia card and it is running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty). Flash is version 11.2.202.235 which was installed using Flash-Aid.

wolfen69
May 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Flash keeps crashing frequently on my sibling's laptop. That laptop has an nvidia card and it is running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty). Flash is version 11.2.202.235 which was installed using Flash-Aid.

You're not a noob, figure it out. If not, ask for help. Most people here will be more than helpful.

Bazon
May 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Great, I'm not the only on!

So what about solutions?

Against smurfs on youtube, I got this:

sudo mkdir /etc/adobe
sudo gedit /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

and add there these lines:

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true

I can't use Gnash, cause some essential (flash based...) sites won't run on Gnash.

As even my old version isn't reliable stable, I ask:
Are there other solutions?

rc45164
May 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Had and did all the fixes noted in the forums... nothing help until I switched to the firefox 64bit browser. ( Running ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and Nivdia ).
Hope that helps...

Bazon
May 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM
don't i get the 64bit version automatically vie the repos?
if not: where can i get it?
thanks!

rai4shu2
May 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Funny, someone was bragging about using gnash to avoid problems by adobe. BUT, they didn't say that gnash completely sucks as an alternative. If you don't have plans to go to youtube or most websites, then by all means, use gnash. Have fun.

Gnash does suck, but not as much as Adobe. And I have absolutely no problem with Youtube or most websites. (It's just stuff like speedtest.net where I run into problems.)

Bazon
May 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Great, I'm not the only on!

So what about solutions?

Against smurfs on youtube, I got this:

sudo mkdir /etc/adobe
sudo gedit /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

and add there these lines:

I can't use Gnash, cause some essential (flash based...) sites won't run on Gnash.

As even my old version isn't reliable stable, I ask:
Are there other solutions?

I have to add:

leads to unskipable Youtube, but only
removes Smurfs (blue skin color), too.

VinDSL
May 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Is it only me, or has your flash also became significant more unstable?
Flash has become wonky for me, recently, on both Ubuntu 12.10 and Peppermint OS Two (which are substantially different, albeit Ubu-based, distros)!

When it crashes, the error dialog indicates that Flash is running out of memory, even though monitoring apps indicate otherwise, e.g. I have plenty of free mem available.

Put another way, Flash *thinks* it is running out of memory...

Bazon
May 19th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hm.
I seem to have good news.
Since I stripped my /etc/adobe/mms.cfg from

to

I had no flash-crashs anymore! So the smurf remove-trick with both lines seems to be false, just OverrideGPUValidation=true is enough! :-)

So spread the word if you hear the wrong two lines solution for the blue skin problem...

Bazon
May 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
And here is the reason for my problems:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/117127/flash-video-appears-blue/

I tried to edit the answer, let's hope it passes the review.

backman
May 27th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Bazon I still need both lines for no smurf effect. When I have only

OverrideGPUValidation=true the video has the blue effect. Do you have libvdpau1 installed? Have you done some other steps before this ? Thanks for any help

backman
June 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Solved by deleting mms.cfg and using
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tikhonov/misc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libvdpau1 from http://askubuntu.com/a/131040

Just if the solution with mms.cfg doesn't work for you.

Hari5g900
June 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah then I am with you Bazon because mine also crashes. BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!

HansKisaragi
June 7th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Flash have crashed for me but only when using chrome on windows box. never on a Linux box.