PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] boots straight to Win, boot-repair complains about EFI

CaptainPants
May 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I got a laptop that came with Windows 7 installed and already had 4 primary partitions taken up, so I deleted one (so far Windows was still working fine without it) so I could dual boot it.

Then I created an extended partition and used the manual option in the Kubuntu installer (the guided option only offered to format the whole disk) using /sda for the grub install. It seemed to go okay, but when I rebooted it went straight to Windows.

I ran boot-repair from the live CD, got this error "The boot of your PC is in EFI mode, but no EFI partition was detected. You may want to retry after creating a EFI partition (FAT32, >200Mo, start of the disk}, EFI flag). Do you want to continue?" I started off just saying continue as per this suggestion (https://answers.launchpad.net/boot-repair/+question/186958).

Now it won't boot anything from the hard drive and I get this message when I turn it on:

Initializing and establishing link...
Media test failure, check cable
Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

This is the pastebin boot-repair uploaded: http://paste.ubuntu.com/991780/

I guess from the error message and launchpad link the next thing to try is making an EFI partition, however I'm unsure how to do this at the "start of the disk" without wrecking Windows (as it is currently at the beginning).

Any help would be great. Thanks!

darkod
May 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
And did you check in bios whether the boot is really in EFI mode? See if there is a setting to disable EFI.

The first partition, sda1, might actually have been an EFI system partition, I can't say.

CaptainPants
May 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
And did you check in bios whether the boot is really in EFI mode? See if there is a setting to disable EFI.
Thanks for the reply. Didn't see anything about it in the BIOS.

The first partition, sda1, might actually have been an EFI system partition, I can't say.
Does that mean I should be trying to install grub there instead of sda?

darkod
May 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM
No, right now you shouldn't install grub2 there because the partition is now reported as ntfs, not as EFI system.

From live mode, can you open sda1 with the file browser and see which files are there? Does it have some files/folders with 'efi' in the name?

CaptainPants
May 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Didn't see anything, output is the second code snippet below.

Partially out of curiousity and also in case I need Windows in the meantime (for now I don't), would I be able to change the boot flag from sda7 to one of these other partitions and probably boot into windows?

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x585dad4b

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2048 411647 204800 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 411648 443664383 221626368 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 946051072 976361471 15155200 12 Compaq diagnostics
/dev/sda4 443666430 946051071 251192321 5 Extended
Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda5 443666432 443858943 96256 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 443860992 447764479 1951744 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 * 447766528 479014911 15624192 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 479016960 946051071 233517056 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ mkdir mnt
kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ mount /dev/sda1 mnt/ -t ntfs
mount: only root can do that
kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 mnt/ -t ntfs
kubuntu@kubuntu:/mnt$ cd ~/mnt/
kubuntu@kubuntu:~/mnt$ ls -R | grep efi
kubuntu@kubuntu:~/mnt$ ls -R
.:
Boot bootmgr boot-sav MFGSTAT sdrive System Volume Information

./Boot:
BCD boot.sdi de-DE fi-FI it-IT nb-NO pt-PT zh-CN
BCD.LOG BOOTSTAT.DAT el-GR Fonts ja-JP nl-NL ru-RU zh-HK
BCD.LOG1 cs-CZ en-US fr-FR ko-KR pl-PL sv-SE zh-TW
BCD.LOG2 da-DK es-ES hu-HU memtest.exe pt-BR tr-TR

./Boot/cs-CZ:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/da-DK:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/de-DE:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/el-GR:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/en-US:
bootmgr.exe.mui memtest.exe.mui

./Boot/es-ES:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/fi-FI:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/Fonts:
chs_boot.ttf cht_boot.ttf jpn_boot.ttf kor_boot.ttf wgl4_boot.ttf

./Boot/fr-FR:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/hu-HU:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/it-IT:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/ja-JP:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/ko-KR:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/nb-NO:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/nl-NL:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/pl-PL:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/pt-BR:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/pt-PT:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/ru-RU:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/sv-SE:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/tr-TR:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/zh-CN:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/zh-HK:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./Boot/zh-TW:
bootmgr.exe.mui

./boot-sav:
log mbr_backups

./boot-sav/log:
2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18 boot-repair

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18:
2012-05-17__04h17.boot-repair.log.paste sda sda3 sda8
2012-05-17__04h17.boot-repair.log.tee sda1 sda5 sources.list
RESULTS.txt sda2 sda7 sources.list_after

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda:
current_mbr.img partition_table.dmp

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda1:

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda2:

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda3:

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda5:
grubenv

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda7:
etc_fstab_new etc_fstab_old grub_before_purge

./boot-sav/log/2012-05-17__04h17boot-repair18/sda8:

./boot-sav/mbr_backups:

./MFGSTAT:
ACTIVE.SCP CPART.SCP drive_clean_0.scp removec.scp SPART.SCP
aod.dat cri.mop drive_rescan_0.scp removed.scp tester.log
boottype.dat DPART.SCP filter.mop removeS.scp

./System Volume Information:
tracking.log
kubuntu@kubuntu:~/mnt$

Thanks.

darkod
May 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, looks like no efi at sight.

Yes, you can change the boot flag easily with Gparted (if you prefer GUI), or parted in terminal.

In Gparted you need right-click on the partition, Manage Flags, then deselect it on sda7, and select it on sda1.

In parted the command is (use the partition number instead of X, only the number, 1,2,3, etc):
parted> set X boot on (or off)

Of course, to enter parted you do:
sudo parted /dev/sda

And you can print the table to confirm partition numbers and flags with:
parted> print

Note that just changing the boot flag can't boot windows. You need windows bootloader (or at least lilo mbr) on /dev/sda too.

CaptainPants
May 20th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Does Ubuntu have a different installer than Kubuntu? (The Kubuntu one didn't really seem familiar.)

I'm tempted to just install Ubuntu and then KDE on top of it because other distros have installed grub just fine on this same laptop with the same partitioning scheme. (But so far this is the only distro the wifi has worked with... Linux problems haha, this is almost always how I end up choosing a distro.)

darkod
May 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I haven't installed kubuntu so I can't really say about differences in the installer.

I wouldn't blame only linux here. Something weird happened but I can't know when or how. The sda1 partition does seems as if it was EFI and you were using EFI boot. But now the partition type doesn't say EFI.

I say this because of the label on the partition. In standard BIOS boot, the 100MB win7 partition is usually only 100MB, and the label is "System Reserved".

In your case, sda1 is more than 200MB (but not exactly 200MB), and the label is "SYSTEM_DRV".

Sometimes manufacturers make UEFI so that it can boot UEFI if it finds it, and continue to boot BIOS mode if it doesn't find UEFI files. But I have no idea how this process would work on windows and linux. Since unfortunately manufacturers pay much more attention when developing for windows, maybe they developed that process having windows in mind and not caring muhc how linux would react.

It clearly shows you a message you are in UEFI boot, which means it detects it somewhere. And not on the hdd.

CaptainPants
May 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Oh I wasn't blaming Linux. ;) On the contrary, that was intended as a bit of a stab at the Windows-centric state of things making it difficult to find a distro that works out-of-the-box for a given PC.

Thanks for your help.

darkod
May 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Even linux tools show that you have standard msdos table disk. Even if sda1 was EFI System type, that's long gone.

However, linux does show you the message that you are in EFI boot mode with no EFI system partition.

I wonder if it would help you to double check again there is no option to disable EFI boot in the bios, and also to google your exact model and something like "how to disable uefi(efi) boot".

YannBuntu
May 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
Hello

This is the pastebin boot-repair uploaded: http://paste.ubuntu.com/991780/

The "EFI detected" message of Boot-Repair comes because some elements of your session are EFI (in your dmesg). However, as Windows seems to boot without EFI, you may be able to boot Ubuntu without EFI too, so ignore this warning for the moment. (but please check if you can disable EFI in your BIOS as suggested by darkod).

Your /boot partition is far (>100Go) from the beginning of the disk, that is sometimes a problem. If i were you, i would try the "out-of-disk" option (run Boot-Repair, update it, click "Advanced options", go to the "GRUB options" tab, tick the "out-of-disk" option, apply, indicate the new URL that will appear).
If that does not work, i would reduce the sda2 partition (via Windows tools) then create a /boot partition closer from the beginning of the disk. Don't forget to backup your documents on external disks (or DVDs) before any operation.

CaptainPants
May 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have double checked in the BIOS and tried googling this laptop model, but can't find anything about disabling EFI/UEFI.

The out-of-disk option didn't fix it. I'm unable to get Windows to boot so I think before attempting to resize its partition I'll first see if I can get one of the distros that did get grub working to detect Ubuntu (and hopefully Windows too).

Oh, and I have since tried installing Ubuntu (rather than Kubuntu). Although the installer is very similar, the Ubuntu one gives the option of installing alongside existing OSes (including Windows) where the Kubuntu one only offered to format the whole drive. So unless it was related to something I tried between those installs, it seems like there are some differences between the installers.