PDA

View Full Version : Free software replacements for Adobe Suite? Design software must-haves?

Gacelita
May 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I study and work in graphic design and decided to install to Ubuntu a few weeks ago. So far it has become my main OS and everything is fine with GIMP, Mypaint and Inkscape. I aways thought Adobe Suite was overrated anyway...my problem is I can't ditch it completely (or my windows install) and switch to free software as I can't find replacements for programs like After Effects or Flash.

Have you found free software to meet all your designing needs?
What would be your program selection to replace Adobe Suite?
Which other programs ara must-haves por graphic design?

dferriman
May 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Sorry to say, there is nothing yet as good as After Effects. Cinelerra will be your best bet. Depending on what you are doing, you may also want to take a look at Blender for some things. Check out http://www.blenderguru.com/ there are some vids there on how to use camera tracking, add effects and even editing, thought I have't tried editing and I could have the wrong idea all together on that. Flash is the same. Depending on what you are trying to do, you'll likely need to look into jQuery. If you are trying to do animations, I think CinePaint may work, but I'm not sure. For film editing you can also check out OpenShot or Avidemux.

Also, here is a link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

Hope that helps.

BcRich
May 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
dferriman's suggestions are very reasonable. It's true there is no open source Flash equivalent. But motiontwin http://www.mtasc.org/ does compile to swf bytecode with as2 source file inclusions. i've never tried it, cause i don't really use Flash for web development any more. when i switched to OSS i also opted for html5, javascript and php as a flash replacer. I've also found processing http://www.processing.org to be very useful. Gacelita, I know your question was about graphic design but i just thought i mention that incase you used Flash for actionscript :)
Edit: I don't think Cinepaint is still supported on recent versions of ubuntu. but there are lots of other 2D animation packages that do work well such as synfig, ktoon, tupi (a fork of ktoon) and non-native support for plastic animation paper seems quite stable.

Gacelita
May 18th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really looking forward to do any work in AE or Flash soon and have been messing around with HTML5 animations instead just like BcRich said. Still I think I'll have the need to work in both programs eventually and it would have been nice to have decent open source replacements.

That's what I meant with my questions on a personal level but I also wanted to read some experiences of those who mainly use open source software to produce graphics.

I'll have to give your suggestions a try. I'm specially interested in trying Processing. Looks really interesting.

Kreaninw
May 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I heard Lightworks, an video editor app, is coming to Linux. It might be Adobe Premiere replacement.

For Flash, it will not update its player to version 12 on Linux but still provide an update for version 11. With mobile situation, Adobe will not provide Flash Player for Android after ICS version. In the future, I doubt customers would want something they can't open on their phone/tab properly, not even count Linux. In my opinion, develop website with HTML5+CSS+jQuery is an headache solution compare to Flash. Lacking of GUI tools for designer that's something equivalenced to Adobe Flash Professional, browsers standard which never come true lead to compatibility issue, limited effects, limited supported devices, etc.

As far as I know, Blender for 3dsMax and Maya, DraftSight for AutoCAD, GIMP + MyPaint for Photoshop, Inkscape for Illustrator. I am still learning open source software and still don't make any money out of it yet. So, my opinion might be wrong. :popcorn:

dferriman
May 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM
After reading this tread, I've thought a lot more about Blender making simple web animations. If you are familiar with After Effects, you know that you can import 2D objects to create the illusion of 3D. by hitting "0" on the number pad in Blender, you get the camera view. If you set everything up to the camera view, just like you do in AE, you can make a video just like you would in After Effects. You can change the view with the keyboard as needed for set up and go back to camera view to see what you are doing. I looked around for a way to change the video to Flash and found this:

http://studge.com/creating-flash-video-in-linux/

The reality is that with Blender, you could make better Flash videos than you could with Flash. I doubt you could build a website with it, but if you are just looking to make ads or other web animations, there is no reason Blender wouldn't work. You should be able to change the lighting to "Environment Lighting" in world view and not even mess with lamps (for Blender Render) or "Emission" if you use Cycles render. There may be a better way to convert videos. I'm not very knowledgeable on video conversion programs.

PhillySteel
May 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I just started using(trying) to use Inkscape, I am not a techie. I'm trying to create a world globe with the maps of the 7 continents on it. I was able to make the oval shape for the globe but that is far as my skills can take me. Is there a way to insert, paste, or attach the the maps of the 7 continents? I may be asking the wrong question or this may be done with something simple. I just want to make a world globe and have the maps of the 7 continents on it. Again, I'm not computer savvy and any help, suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rodney9
May 23rd, 2012, 12:21 AM
I just started using(trying) to use Inkscape, I am not a techie. I'm trying to create a world globe with the maps of the 7 continents on it. I was able to make the oval shape for the globe but that is far as my skills can take me. Is there a way to insert, paste, or attach the the maps of the 7 continents? I may be asking the wrong question or this may be done with something simple. I just want to make a world globe and have the maps of the 7 continents on it. Again, I'm not computer savvy and any help, suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would start a new post on this, if you want to get more help.

Reason NL
May 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm still searching for an Adobe (Macromedia) Fireworks alternative. Still running windows XP in a virtual machine because of that.
Fireworks manages to be a great vector based tool for designing computer graphics for use on devices. Drawing in vector but displaying it like raster images to achieve pixel precise images is it's unique feature.
Neither Inkscape nor The Gimp are a good alternative, anyone?

I'm still hoping Inkscape will fill this void someday...

prokoudine
May 24th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Drawing in vector but displaying it like raster images to achieve pixel precise images is it's unique feature.

I'm still hoping Inkscape will fill this void someday...

You mean you are not using snapping, grid view and the bundled pixsnap extension? Why? :)

Reason NL
May 24th, 2012, 11:07 AM
You mean you are not using snapping, grid view and the bundled pixsnap extension? Why? :)

Well, basically because I didn't spend enough time figuring it out I guess, I've been using Fireworks for over a decade now and haven't found a good alternative.. ;)

But does it exactly do as I described?
It also means zooming into the image will show you enlarged pixels as if it where a rasterized image, allowing you to see what it would look like at 100% size, it also means you can make object precisely 200x200 pixels.

It's basically like editing an rasterized image but still retain the unique features of vector based imaging.
The ability to enlarge objects without loosing sharpness and to copy objects or instances enabling you to edit 1 object even if it's used multiple times thus changing them all at ones.
Fireworks also has a page model allowing you to make multiple concepts by using objects you made on a different page making it a great solutions for prototyping and creating user interfaces.

I've tried using Illustrator a couple of years ago, but the lack of the above features and the clearly paper driven approach in the application made me go back to Fireworks
Inkscape gives me the same feeling as Illustrator did.
Would loved to be proven wrong though, would be awesome to use Inkscape for all my design work.

BcRich
May 24th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Hi, I Think the poster is referring to Fireworks ability to use traditionally raster based tools such as airbrushes, photoshop-type brushes (with gradual fall-offs), eraser (as it's typically used in a raster image editors) and image processing tools you'd probably expect to find in raster image editors, in a vector-based editor. I used Fireworks years ago when it first came out in 1999 up until about version 3. It has a very unique way of blurring the lines between raster and vector image editing and I haven't seen another application proprietary or open that has a similar approach :)

Dry Lips
May 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM
You mean you are not using snapping, grid view and the bundled PixelSnap extension? Why? :)

Fixed that for you! :)

Bachey
May 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
After Effects 6.5 can be run in wine, and it works like charm!

prokoudine
May 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM
It also means zooming into the image will show you enlarged pixels as if it where a rasterized image, allowing you to see what it would look like at 100% size, it also means you can make object precisely 200x200 pixels.

It's basically like editing an rasterized image but still retain the unique features of vector based imaging.

I don't think I really understand this part. When you look at an image at 1:1 zoom level in Inkscape, you already see it rasterized. This is what Cairo does: it takes vector data and rasterizes it with pixman. It doesn't show images rasterized when you zoom in beyond 100% — true enough, but we are talking about 100%, no?

I've aligned vector objects to pixel grid to make them crisp hundreds of times. You really just need to use snapping to grid and sensible grid settings. What PixelSnap extension does is automating that, and it works nicely for simple objects such as rectangles and polygons. It's likely to mess paths that have symmetric control points, but there's a limit to cleverness in everything :)

There's also absolutely no problem making an object of a certain size. You just select it and edit its settings. This is what the tools options toolbar is for with Selector tool enabled :)

I'm beginning to feel like it's time for an article on pixel-aligned graphics with Inkscape :)

The ability to enlarge objects without loosing sharpness and to copy objects or instances enabling you to edit 1 object even if it's used multiple times thus changing them all at ones.

Hmmm... So? This is what vector objects do: you can scale them up and down. And for syncing objects within single documents you can use clones.

Fireworks also has a page model allowing you to make multiple concepts by using objects you made on a different page making it a great solutions for prototyping and creating user interfaces.

Yes, Inkscape doesn't have pages and will probably continue not having them until W3C SVG working group is done with more important bits of the v2.0 spec.

I've tried using Illustrator a couple of years ago, but the lack of the above features and the clearly paper driven approach in the application made me go back to Fireworks.

Sorry? Illustrator has art boards since CS4 released in 2008.

Reason NL
May 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I don't think I really understand this part. When you look at an image at 1:1 zoom level in Inkscape, you already see it rasterized. This is what Cairo does: it takes vector data and rasterizes it with pixman. It doesn't show images rasterized when you zoom in beyond 100% — true enough, but we are talking about 100%, no?

I've aligned vector objects to pixel grid to make them crisp hundreds of times. You really just need to use snapping to grid and sensible grid settings. What PixelSnap extension does is automating that, and it works nicely for simple objects such as rectangles and polygons. It's likely to mess paths that have symmetric control points, but there's a limit to cleverness in everything :smile:

There's also absolutely no problem making an object of a certain size. You just select it and edit its settings. This is what the tools options toolbar is for with Selector tool enabled :smile:

I'm beginning to feel like it's time for an article on pixel-aligned graphics with Inkscape :smile:It's kinda hard to explain, hence you don't understand what i mean.

I am talking about zooming in beyond the 100% mark and off course everything gets rasterized on a pixel based screen, but zooming in at 400% should show me pixels 4 times the size pixels as expected from a raster editor. Giving me way more control over pixel perfect drawing.
The point of editing, cloning and sizing objects is exactly what I like about the vector based editing and sure Inkscape and Illustrator support this, there both Vector Image Editors.
My point isn't missing these features, my point is that Fireworks is a Gimp / Photoshop like editor (Which is pixel based in the first place and allows me all the awesomeness a raster image editor would expose like filters etc.) and features Vector based object editing while retaining the rasterized point of view giving you the ultimate UI design tool.

It's, in my opinion, the perfect blend between a vector based and raster based editor, but a replacement focusing on all the good parts and ditching all Adobe's bloated unwanted features and, what this thread is all about, native Linux support would be great!

You should try it sometime and maybe you will understand what I mean.

I would like to read that article though! ;)