PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04's upgrade is flawed (failed on two different systems)

jimnms
May 16th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I finally get the time to upgrade yesterday, but it didn't go so well. I downloaded the iso and made a bootable USB drive since I was updated two systems. During the upgrade on my desktop, it prompted me to create a user like it was doing a new install. I didn't want to use my current username and risk it overwriting my home directory, so I created a new user. I had two user accounts on the previous install, my main profile and a second one for testing. After the install it booted up to the graphical login screen, but the only user available was the one I created during the upgrade process. When I tried to login with it, nothing happened, it just returned me to the login screen.

I was able to login to the console with the new user, use sudo to get a root shell and manually edit the passwd, group and shadow files replacing the new username with my old one. I had to log out, then log back in on the console, manually mount my encrypted home dir, but after that it seems fine.

My netbook was much worse. During the upgrade it failed saying something about not enough space to extract or copy something. Previous upgrades always checked to make sure there was enough space before it started the upgrade. It said to clean up some space and re-run the installer. I opened a terminal and df shows about 1GB free. I cleared an additional 500MB, when I started the installer again, it thinks 12.04 is already installed and only gives me the option to erase 12.04 and reinstall or "something else."

I could boot the system, it says it's 12.04, but it seems to be part 11.10 and 12.04 with a lot missing. It would only boot to the text console. I already backup important files, but I wanted to copy my entire home dir to a USB stick so I could save settings and things. The only one I had with enough room was formatted with fat32 and it had some stuff on it that I needed. For some reason the botched install and recovery console would only mount usb drives formatted with NTFS. I had to use a Windows machine to copy the stuff I already had on it and re-format it to NTFS.

In a last ditch effort, I edited /etc/lsb-release so that the installer thinks 11.10 is installed. I got an error during the upgrade: "ubi-usersetup failed with exit code 1." I selected to continue anyway and so far it seems to have worked, but just like my desktop it created new passwd and group files forcing me to have to re-create my user accounts.

On my netbook I have been using the disk to upgrade since 10.04, but my desktop was a clean 11.10 install. I'm probably going to do clean installs on both because after the problems I had, I don't trust that it installed correctly.