PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Damn buggy compiz

mmerlone
May 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi folks,

I am using Ubuntu on my desktop for many years now, and 12.04 seems to be the most buggy compiz ever! I use dual monitor setup in TwinView with an nvidia card, and no matter the driver I use (nouveau or nvidia proprietary) I have at least one extremely annoying bug on compiz. This is said to be the best ubuntu ever, but is not. I am using official latest compiz, unity, gnome, etc for 12.04. Machine is a i5 with a nvidia gt9500 but this is irrelevant. It happens with Unity and Gnome, irrelevant.

The bug happens when moved windows across workspaces using ctrl+alt+shift+arrow get erratic behavior, moving back alone to another workspace and position (sometimes the same position, but not always). For example: I have a terminal window, which I set to be on the monitor 2 of the first workspace. I ctrl+alt+kp9 the window (grid plugin) so it stays at the top right corner of the monitor. Then I ctrl+alt+arrow to go back to the the workspace 2 and there is the terminal window on the top-left (!) corner of the first monitor! I get back to first workspace and the window is not there anymore (sure, it got to the other workspace by it self). When I put that window back where I want it to be, I notice my Eclipse application got to workspace 2 when it was on workspace 3 (5 workspaces total).

Even worst, many times, I try to catch the window with alt+click to put it back where it was and compiz does not know the window is there! It grabs the window below! I have to use the scale plugin, for instance, to put the focus on the window so I can grab it.

I know I should fill a bug and I will. But had to come here register my dissatisfaction since I found nothing similar this on the net, very few ubuntu 12.04 reviews, comments and whatsoever so I assume ubuntu is cooling on the community or the community is loosing faith and getting used to those pesky desktop unity+compiz bugs.

This happens since 11.10, feel like those desktop bugs are increasing since 11.04 and those long-term annoying bugs make feeel like going back to debian or freebsd. I upgraded from 11.10 in a hope to have those bugs corrected, but got worse.

Going to file the bug now. I am available to provide more info, test something, whatever.

Best regards.

mmerlone
May 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/1000367

mbojan
June 6th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks for reporting this. I'm getting the same type of crazy behavior without multiple monitors, just on my laptop... I hope compiz developers will be able to fix that soon.

For me upgrading to 12.04 from Natty broke many things, grid plugin being one of the most essential broken items...

UltimateCat
June 6th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I too have had my share of buggy stuff with compiz.

When I switched from a track ball mouse to a regular wireless mouse I lost some of the functionalities that I use in GIMP to perform certain desired effects.

Before I switched mice I stopped using proprietary drivers and never had another problem with Compiz.

Looking forward to solutions for a lot less buggy-ness.

XxionxX
October 11th, 2012, 06:27 AM
You can fix this by disabling the 'place windows' plugin (just un-tick the box). It is located under 'Window Management'. See pic:

http://i.imgur.com/wgquI.png
http://imgur.com/wgquI