PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a second router

Shadius
May 16th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hey all,

I've received a second router from a friend of mine and I was wondering what can I do with it? It is a Linksys WRT120N, if that helps with anything.

cmont899
May 16th, 2012, 06:15 PM
You can use it as a dedicated wifi access point to offload some work off of your main router. The WRT120N support ddwrt, so it could be setup as a "mesh" with another ddwrt AP.

Shadius
May 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
You can use it as a dedicated wifi access point to offload some work off of your main router. The WRT120N support ddwrt, so it could be setup as a "mesh" with another ddwrt AP.

Thanks for replying. How would I go about setting this up? Please explain it to me in beginner terms, I've never done anything like this. I've heard of DD-WRT, and other firmware that I can't remember now. Is DD-WRT the best one to go with? I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to these things. Any advice you can give me would be very helpful! :)

CharlesA
May 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I am using one as a dedicated access point. Works fine. ;)

All the documentation you need is on http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

That said, I have not seen much development lately.

Shadius
May 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I am using one as a dedicated access point. Works fine. ;)

All the documentation you need is on http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

That said, I have not seen much development lately.

Thank you! :) Just some clarification for my beginner self. What is meant exactly by "dedicated access point"?

CharlesA
May 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
You use that router for wireless instead of your main router.

Shadius
May 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
You use that router for wireless instead of your main router.

So I can use this second router to supply say my PS3 with a wireless or wired connection?

CharlesA
May 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
So I can use this second router to supply say my PS3 with a wireless or wired connection?

I'm not sure. It would depend on how the rest of the network is set up.

What you want to do is known as "wireless bridging."

Shadius
May 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure. It would depend on how the rest of the network is set up.

What you want to do is known as "wireless bridging."

Oh okay. Well, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciation to the both of you. :)

Bandit
May 17th, 2012, 02:29 AM

You can set it up as a Switch and let your main Router assign IPs.
There can be multiple uses for multiple routers and switches, extra firewall layer for example. Also if you have two wireless routers, for use of those other wireless devices that operate on the same band frequency you can assign them to say the slower router and then assign you main pc to the faster router and it want knock down you connection speed. Most newr cards have dual band and many newer routers do to, so this is not an issue as it was a few year ago. But you can however spread them out and double your coverage area. But this is only if they are both wireless.

Cheers,
Joe

squilookle
May 17th, 2012, 02:34 PM
If your network is working fine and you're looking for a use for the router because you have it, rather than because you need to deploy it in some way, you could keep it as a backup in case you need it in future, or sell it and see if you can get a little money for it.

Otherwise, you could use it to learn more about networking, knowing that, if you break it, you haven't broken your main router and therefore your internet connection. :)

Shadius
May 17th, 2012, 04:05 PM
If your network is working fine and you're looking for a use for the router because you have it, rather than because you need to deploy it in some way, you could keep it as a backup in case you need it in future, or sell it and see if you can get a little money for it.

Otherwise, you could use it to learn more about networking, knowing that, if you break it, you haven't broken your main router and therefore your internet connection. :)

Yeah, my current router is working good. I just want to fiddle around with the second router a little bit to learn more about networking.

Lucradia
May 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Use it as a reverse router. IE: Change it so it can CONNECT TO other routers. People do this for game systems that usually don't have Wi-Fi capabilities (IE: PS3 20GB.)