PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu and build-essential

MrBean355
May 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to install build-essential on my computer (dual-boot with Windows 7 and Kubuntu) from the DVD ISO (I don't have an internet connection) so I can use the G++ compiler. However, it doesn't work. It says "Unable to satisfy dependencies".

The strange thing is that when I "Try Kubuntu" (running the Live version from USB), it can and does install build-essential and then the G++ compiler works fine!

What is going on here?! :???:

Thanks for any help.

Mr_Bean

SeijiSensei
May 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Have you ever installed anything on this computer over the Internet, in particular more recent kernels? It's possible that the installation on your hard drive has more recent versions of some libraries than the DVD, so the installer cannot find the compatible versions it expects on the hard drive.

If you run "sudo apt-get install build-essential" from the command line, you should see the dependencies that it is complaining about.

MrBean355
May 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I downloaded the Kubuntu 12-04 64bit DVD ISO. I haven't installed anything from the internet because I can't connect to the internet.

How can I fix the kernel thing?

SeijiSensei
May 17th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I downloaded the Kubuntu 12-04 64bit DVD ISO. I haven't installed anything from the internet because I can't connect to the internet.

How can I fix the kernel thing?

If all you have is the DVD software and nothing else, then it's not a "kernel thing." What happens when you do this?

If you run "sudo apt-get install build-essential" from the command line, you should see the dependencies that it is complaining about.

What are they?

MrBean355
May 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
If all you have is the DVD software and nothing else, then it's not a "kernel thing." What happens when you do this?

You mean I must type "sudo apt-get install build-essential"? If I remember correctly, it says something like unable to find package build-essential, but I will try again when I get the chance.

Erik1984
May 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
So if I understand correctly: You can install a certain package from a Live session w/o internet but not from your installed Kubuntu?

Maybe the live session has the DVD itself listed as a package source and the installed Kubuntu hasn't. You could try to add the DVD to the sources in Muon Package Manager. See settings > configure software sources and then the tab "Other Software". For me the CD (I installed from CD) is unchecked there by default.

MrBean355
May 17th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, when I run a live session, I can simply install build-essential without having an issues or having to install other packages.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it out and let you know!

sabersong
June 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
This is a mistake I've made in the past. Make sure you've updated the reposiotories before trying to install build-essential. At the command line, type:

sudo apt-get update