PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wubi installation problem

raja34766
May 16th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I decided to use Ubuntu 11.10 a few days ago.I downloaded the ISO. Then I installed Wubi and it installed perfectly. When I restarted my computer and pressed enter on that ubuntu option at the boot screen menu I got this error "prefix" is not set?
I tried many times uninstalled Wubi then reinstalled it but got the same result everytime.
I am using Windows XP SP 3.
Please help me to install WUBI successfully.

Thank You

roelforg
May 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I decided to use Ubuntu 11.10 a few days ago.I downloaded the ISO. Then I installed Wubi and it installed perfectly. When I restarted my computer and pressed enter on that ubuntu option at the boot screen menu I got this error "prefix" is not set?
I tried many times uninstalled Wubi then reinstalled it but got the same result everytime.
I am using Windows XP SP 3.
Please help me to install WUBI successfully.

Thank You

I've got that too.

I looked in to it and it's the result of dynamically detecting the partition on which wubi is installed: The prefix will be detected by a second command in the chain, it doesn't matter.
It's just a little hack, but it doesn't stop ubuntu from booting, does it?

The technical explaination:
Wubi causes several bootloaders to chainload:
WinBOOTLOADER -> grub4dos
Usually, grub searches for a partition and boots from that.
With wubi, the partition isn't set because there isn't any.
Instead there is a file (root.disk)
It's specified to load as: /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
There's no (hd<number>,<number>) to say grub where it is,
so grub warns about that and it searches every partition but the warning is to say that it might yield unexpected results.
The logic is:
Say this is there:

(hd0,0)/boot/myroot.disk
(hd0,1)/boot/myroot.disk

Grub would pick the first one, even though you might've meant to pick the second.
This isn't possible with wubi as the installer won't let you create such a setup, so just ignore it.

(PS. It took me a while to post b/c my internet went down after clicking "new reply" but before clicking "submit reply")

raja34766
May 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
So what should I do now to get rid of this problem?