PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which version to install?

Quevvy
May 16th, 2012, 06:41 AM
So, I'm somewhat new to the whole Ubuntu world. But I decided to give it a go with a somewhat old computer. I was looking at the installation requirements for the full Ubuntu installation, and this computer doesn't meet all of the specifications. I'm just wondering, should I use an older edition of Ubuntu, or use something like Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Here are my specifications:

Dell Dimension 2400
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GHz
System memory: 254MB RAM
Resolution: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75 Hz)

I would want to wipe all the Windows stuff from this and have it be a dedicated Ubuntu computer (not dual-boot or something…), so that memory is all that it has (not just available).

Any help would be appreciated, since I have no idea what I'm doing on the Ubuntu front…

EDIT: Actually, I did use Ubuntu for a programming class, but only for a semester, so I am (hardly) familiar with Ubuntu.

carl4926
May 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
you'd be better with something like 'Crunchbang'

Quevvy
May 16th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Why would Crunchbang be better than a form of Ubuntu?

mastablasta
May 16th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Lubuntu is the only one that will work reasonably. you might need to use alternate disk since your ram is low. if you could increase it to at least 512MB RAM then you could use Xubuntu well and in my opinion it would be a good idea to increase ram as much as posisble (if it is possible at all).

Other light weight options for that little ram:
Chrunchbang (based on Debian), uses Openbox but an older version had a nice and light XFCE desktop that used about 80 MB ram
Bodhi linux (based on Ubuntu)
Debian LXDE
Puppy linux
Slitaz

you can check distrowatch.com for more information about various distributiuons.

carl4926
May 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
You could try lubuntu
But you may need to use the alternate cd for install