PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablets? Any owners here?

Kdar
May 16th, 2012, 05:58 AM
I am curious if there are any android tablet users on here. I am looking to buy me a tablet those days and I trying to decide which is better.

The ones I been looking at are Samsung tab 10.1 and Xoom, or anything that has screen size of 9 or bigger. I don't know if there are any that are scheduled to be coming out later this year or not. But it probably will not matter that much.

I been also thinking of getting iPad before too, but my experience with iPod 4G (which I bought 2 years ago) put this idea down. It is a pain to always have to use VirtualBox to make any sort of changes or to get data from the device when needed. The only thing that is positive to me about my iPod experience, is that I can use AirPlay with XBMC on my HTPC, which is nice. But maybe there is a way to do the same on Android platform as well.

So I also interested to know how android tables work with Linux? From some of my friends who own Android phones, I been told that they can easily load their device as a drive or usb stick and perform any changes right from Ubuntu.

KiwiNZ
May 16th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I just went through this exercise. If you are Linux only I would strongly recommend away from the iPad, whilst being the king of tablets it's a pain interfacing with Linux.

I believe the pick of the Android crop is Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or the ASUS Transformer.

AllRadioisDead
May 16th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I'm running an HP Touchpad with CM9.

kenodlum
May 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I compared the iPad and Galaxy tab for quite a while and despite having an iPhone and iPod already I went for the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It is lite thin and I can transfer files without being tied to software like iTunes.

FatFrog
May 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
If you want to sync or do firmware updates you may want to keep a copy of Windows on hand. Samsung Kies (sync software) doesn't play with WINE. You could try Heimdall if you want to upgrade firmware, but that's it. I believe it works with The Galaxy Tabs overall though, so at least there's something.

markbl
May 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Me too. Was a bargain for $150 (Aus 32GB) in the HP firesale. WebOS was an absolute joke but CM9 Android 4.0.4 is great.

Roasted
May 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
and I can transfer files without being tied to software like iTunes.

This exact reason alone is why I could never be an iPod/iPad user. Personal opinion.

pete04
May 16th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Own a Nook Color running CM7.2. It's underpowered but much more fun than my old iPad. Use it for a lot of web reading, ebook and I have a Genesis emulator and a gazillion ROMS for wasting time. Nothing beats having access to files and keeping your "desktop" launcher from looking like nothing more than a pile of icons.

If I had money for an upgrade, I'd look out for that Asus-made 7" tablet that Google is supposed to start selling soon for $199 or $250. If you want bigger, the Asus transformers are really nice.

Tombradyhasamachinehead
May 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM
kindle fire is amazing

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I have an ASUS Transformer, and I love it. I've messed with iPads, and I don't think they're any better than my Transformer, other than being a little thinner. As far as I know, the original Transformer, and later incarnations, like the Prime, are the only Android tablets to have an IPS display. IPS displays are visibly better to a large degree. I compared my Transformer to one of the Samsung Galaxies, which are supposed to be the top of the line, and my screen was visibly sharper and had better colors.

So I would highly recommend a Transformer Prime, or even an original Transformer, if you want to save some money. I haven't run into anything my Transformer can't handle.

leclerc65
May 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I own an iPod and a Playbook. Despite the smaller screen the iPod is much more useful for me.
I would buy the now cheaper iPad2 just to read news at home (I am a news-a-holic). For travel I'd lug around my Ubuntu netbook though.

Sonsum
May 16th, 2012, 10:33 PM

Aww yeah, Touchpad users unite!

(I don't think I could go iPad, since ICS is just so good.)

jpeddicord
May 16th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I've been looking at a Galaxy Tab 2 lately, since it's $250. But what really bugs me is their proprietary charger (really? get with the times Samsung) and their history of bad software support.

Plus, there's a rumor of a Nexus tablet on the horizon, and I'd like to see what that'd be next month.

KiwiNZ
May 16th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I've been looking at a Galaxy Tab 2 lately, since it's $250. But what really bugs me is their proprietary charger (really? get with the times Samsung) .

That is not just a Samsung annoyance. A certain fruity company annoys me with that.

blithen
May 16th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Just went through this a month ago.
If you want something cheap and tablet-esque for it's price you can't beat a Kindle Fire, although it lacks a few things that made me shy away from it. (5gb storage with no SD card slot, no full android market and felt sluggish when I messed with it in best buy)
I personally use an Acer A500 it was $350 and I'm under personal opinion that it's the best bang for your buck, doesn't lag when doing simple tasks such as switching screen. A majority of tablets I've messed with do just that and it would've bothered the crap out of me. The screen size is PERFECT for movies on the go, and I have a case that can fold out into a stand so it's nice running netflix on it while gaming or something. :)
Good luck on your choice!

cariboo
May 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I recently purchased an Eeepad Transformer Prime, and I couldn't be happier. What made the deal for me was the extra battery time when the screen is docked into the keyboard. It just automaigcally updated to ice cream sandwich, and I'm quite impressed.

My sister has a playbook, and my brother has an iPad, so it was quite easy for me to try some of the other choices out. We also have a Motorola Zoom and an Acer Iconia as well as others on display where I work so I gave them all a work out too, and for me, the Transformer Prime was the best of the bunch.

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I recently purchased an Eeepad Transformer Prime, and I couldn't be happier. What made the deal for me was the extra battery time when the screen is docked into the keyboard. It just automaigcally updated to ice cream sandwich, and I'm quite impressed.

My sister has a playbook, and my brother has an iPad, so it was quite easy for me to try some of the other choices out. We also have a Motorola Zoom and an Acer Iconia as well as others on display where I work so I gave them all a work out too, and for me, the Transformer Prime was the best of the bunch.

I have an iPad 3, but, I have agree with you about the Transformer Prime.

jpeddicord
May 17th, 2012, 01:56 AM
That is not just a Samsung annoyance. A certain fruity company annoys me with that.

Well said. I wasn't even considering the iPad -- there's nothing that appeals to me in one.

Another Android tablet I've been looking at is the Kindle Fire (it uses mini USB :D). But they lock that thing down pretty hard; it's impossible to get to the Play Store without a lot of hacks.

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2012, 02:28 AM
I've been looking at a Galaxy Tab 2 lately, since it's $250. But what really bugs me is their proprietary charger (really? get with the times Samsung) and their history of bad software support.

Plus, there's a rumor of a Nexus tablet on the horizon, and I'd like to see what that'd be next month.

My Transformer has a proprietary charger, too.

jpeddicord
May 17th, 2012, 04:23 AM
My Transformer has a proprietary charger, too.

Was unaware of that.. that's a shame that some manufacturers are choosing that route. I know it seems like a petty issue, but I really hate when vendors try to lock you in to their own peripherals.

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Was unaware of that.. that's a shame that some manufacturers are choosing that route. I know it seems like a petty issue, but I really hate when vendors try to lock you in to their own peripherals.

Agreed I wish power connectors were universal like USB then, when travelling one would not have to remember a myriad of chargers etc.

lisati
May 17th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Agreed I wish power connectors were universal like USB then, when travelling one would not have to remember a myriad of chargers etc.

+1

The two mobile phones I normally carry quite happily swap chargers, but our other two mobiles are sufficiently different to be a pain in the proverbial posterior.

Mikeb85
May 17th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Personally, the only Android tablets I'd consider is the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet or Asus Transformer Prime (would lean towards Lenovo though).

Realistically though, apps aren't really developed specifically for Android tablets, so I'd sooner simply get a large Android phone (I prefer HTC, but the Samsung Note looks nice too), as it will have the same functionality.

aaaantoine
May 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Dell Streak 7 here. It's got a Tegra CPU in it, and without the carrying case, it's just small enough to fit in my pants pocket.

Battery life is pretty crappy, but it's better than it was now that I discovered Airplane mode. I used to have to charge it 2x a day. Now 1x will hold it over for 24 hours of light use. Aside from that, the vertical viewing angles on the screen are poor.

Dell rolled out Honeycomb shortly before discontinuing the device, including software updates. You can get Ice Cream Sandwich if you're willing to do a little work.

The Dell Streak 5 and 7 have a proprietary charger. It may be the case that micro-USB does not carry juice to the device fast enough.

Face-Ache
May 17th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Realistically though, apps aren't really developed specifically for Android tablets, so I'd sooner simply get a large Android phone

I totally agree with this.

Maybe i'm getting a bit of technology-fatigue, but the idea of having yet another device to lug around with me leaves me feeling cold. I'm a fan of convergence - if i want a PC, i'll use one of the ones i have at home. In the meantime, i'll use my Android phone; for games, for music to headphones Bluetooth or wired, for GPS functions, for music to the Bluetooth head-unit in my car, for texting, as a remote for XBMC, and for, y'know, phone calls :)

There's a part of me that wants to ditch mobile technology all-together. Go back to a time when alls i had to worry about was my keys and wallet. No charger required for those!

I could never have an iDevice either - i like to have control over what i put on the product i've bought, that I own. Love being able to just drag and drop files, not a fan of iTunes at all.

cariboo
May 17th, 2012, 07:00 AM
There's a part of me that wants to ditch mobile technology all-together. Go back to a time when alls i had to worry about was my keys and wallet. No charger required for those!

That's easy, next time your mobile device needs charging don't do it, I know quite a few people that live in areas, where there is no cell service, they don't seem to miss anything because they don't have one.

On a personal level, the only people that have my mobile number, are close family, and even from them I don't accept text messages, IF they want to get a hold of me they can either talk to me, or leave a message on voice mail.

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Realistically though, apps aren't really developed specifically for Android tablets, so I'd sooner simply get a large Android phone (I prefer HTC, but the Samsung Note looks nice too), as it will have the same functionality.
It doesn't matter, though. Since Honeycomb, and even better with ICS, Android is so smart about stretching apps to fit your screen that you can't even tell they aren't specifically developed for tablets. Most of the apps I use were created for phones, but I can't even tell it. Even graphical games, like Angry Birds, looks like it was made for my tablet screen rather than a phone.

In my experience, this works much better on Android than trying to run iPhone apps on an iPad.

But I understand why people would just want to have a large phone and not bother with a second device. I personally get a lot of use out of my tablet, though.

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It doesn't matter, though. Since Honeycomb, and even better with ICS, Android is so smart about stretching apps to fit your screen that you can't even tell they aren't specifically developed for tablets. Most of the apps I use were created for phones, but I can't even tell it. Even graphical games, like Angry Birds, looks like it was made for my tablet screen rather than a phone.

In my experience, this works much better on Android than trying to run iPhone apps on an iPad.

But I understand why people would just want to have a large phone and not bother with a second device. I personally get a lot of use out of my tablet, though.

I agree with your point regarding stretching iPhone Apps being stretched on an iPad, horrible.

Face-Ache
May 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Don't get me wrong, i love the idea of a tablet; more screen real-estate isn't a bad thing. They just don't tend to fit in your pocket that well. For me i suppose they're better suited to when you're just kicking back on the couch.

I'd love to get a working one of these, just for fun, and for the sake of being retro cool;
http://www.retrobrick.com/moto8000.html

Imagine turning up to bizzo meeting with one of those bad-boys!! :D

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'd love to get a working one of these, just for fun, and for the sake of being retro cool;
http://www.retrobrick.com/moto8000.html

Imagine turning up to bizzo meeting with one of those bad-boys!! :D

That's great. They need to make phones with modern technology in that form factor.

DingusFett
May 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
That's easy, next time your mobile device needs charging don't do it, I know quite a few people that live in areas, where there is no cell service, they don't seem to miss anything because they don't have one.

On a personal level, the only people that have my mobile number, are close family, and even from them I don't accept text messages, IF they want to get a hold of me they can either talk to me, or leave a message on voice mail.

Maybe it's just because I use a phone quite a bit for work, but I much prefer people to just send me a message if it's not urgent, especially during the day when I'm likely to be at work.

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Maybe it's just because I use a phone quite a bit for work, but I much prefer people to just send me a message if it's not urgent, especially during the day when I'm likely to be at work.

I don't mind text messages in that context. But one of my pet peeves is when people want to have a long conversation through texting. If you just want to let me know something or ask a quick question, text me. But if you want to have a conversation, call me.

BLewis
May 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I am curious if there are any android tablet users on here. I am looking to buy me a tablet those days and I trying to decide which is better.

The ones I been looking at are Samsung tab 10.1 and Xoom, or anything that has screen size of 9 or bigger. I don't know if there are any that are scheduled to be coming out later this year or not. But it probably will not matter that much.

I been also thinking of getting iPad before too, but my experience with iPod 4G (which I bought 2 years ago) put this idea down. It is a pain to always have to use VirtualBox to make any sort of changes or to get data from the device when needed. The only thing that is positive to me about my iPod experience, is that I can use AirPlay with XBMC on my HTPC, which is nice. But maybe there is a way to do the same on Android platform as well.

So I also interested to know how android tables work with Linux? From some of my friends who own Android phones, I been told that they can easily load their device as a drive or usb stick and perform any changes right from Ubuntu.

Yup I got a Asus Transformer (TF101), quite awesome, only I kinda wish I had waited and got the Prime or the PadFone. Definitely buy a tab tho if you are thinking of buying, they are really gd. :)

IWantFroyo
May 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I have a HP Touchpad that I hacked to run Android. I don't think that counts, though. :)

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have a HP Touchpad that I hacked to run Android. I don't think that counts, though. :)

Does Android work better on Touchpads now?

Peter09
May 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I have an £80 pound touchpad running Android - excellent. My son has the Asus Tranformer which looks really good as well - like the screen size. Unfortunatley its back in Eastern Europe for repair.

The touchpad still has a few niggles with Android - no camera - but all in all O.K.

cloyd
May 18th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I have an Asus tf101 transformer. I love it, but it isn't much good or the purpose I bought it for. I originally bought it to take the place of a failing netbook. However, I found
1. Typing just isn't fun on a touchscreen. This is solvable with the purchase of a keyboard.
2. Multi-tasking is clumsy.
3. For some reason, web pages load very slowly compared to my other machines.

Yet I love it. It is a great reading machine. I have one machine with several ereaders installed . . . Nook, Kindle, Mobo, google Play Books and others. Some of these readers make pdf's as readable as epubs. The large screen helps here. It's nice to have the reader save my place in a pdf. I like all the news and weather apps. It is good machine to watch videos on.

Battery life beats every other machine I own . . . Up to 8 hours actual use. One note on power though. Don't let anything happen to your charger. It is 15 volts, 1 amp and there doesn't seem to be any generic chargers that will work. I lost mine, and had to really hunt someone who had one. Most of the retailers I found that carried them said they were out of stock. I did finally find one who had them in stock. The retailer I bought the machine from had no idea on how to help me find one.

It is a great ereader. It is good for movies and videos. Fair, but really not that good for internet browsing. It is awful for what I'd call productivity.

One other note. Since the transformer has no usb port when used without the optional $150 keyboard. The fastest, easiest way to move files around between the transformer and my Ubuntu machines has been to install a server program on the tablet, and filezilla on the ubuntu machines. Bluetooth will work, but it is slow, agonisingly so with audio and video.

Kdar
May 20th, 2012, 12:59 AM

I tried to get it when it was on that sale last year, but failed :)

IWantFroyo
May 20th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Does Android work better on Touchpads now?

Yeah. Cyanogenmod 9 is nice. I admit that I still use WebOS as my main OS on it, though. :)

markbl
May 20th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah. Cyanogenmod 9 is nice. I admit that I still use WebOS as my main OS on it, though. :)
One of the great mysteries of life is why anybody would choose to run WebOS on their TP?! It is excruciatingly slow (particularly the browser), lacking in basic functionality, has frustrating bugs all over the place, gets no/low updates, and has abysmal choice of apps. Seriously, if I could only use WebOS I would throw my TP in the bin. Android CM9 is superb though.

wolfen69
May 20th, 2012, 05:28 AM
My phone is my android tablet. Sure it's a small tablet at 4.5 inches, but huge for a phone. So it's kind of in between. What about a Galaxy Note? (5.3") That way you can have a tablet-like experience, and make phone calls with one device.

Peter09
May 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Always have a problem these days with phones and tablets, do you have a really neat phone that slips into any pocket and is so light that you don't know you are carrying it, or do you have a huge phone, but it can run as a small tablet and do lots of other non-phone things.....

Sigh ... decisions decisions

Kdar
May 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I guess it is better to get tablet that has SD card or USB ports? to have easier way to transfer files between device and linux?

jpeddicord
May 20th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I guess it is better to get tablet that has SD card or USB ports? to have easier way to transfer files between device and linux?

All tablets have some sort of USB connectivity, and a good amount have µSD slots. Many tablets just use a proprietary connector on the tablet end of the cord.

t0p
May 20th, 2012, 05:34 PM

I use Bluetooth quite a lot of my file transfer. No extra hardware required.

Kdar
May 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM
What about multi user accounts or guest accounts? Is there something like this on ICS? or Honeycomb?

Android device is usually connected and integrates with gmail, and other google services (which is very nice.. but)...

But what if someone else will want to use my table (let say a sibling).. How can I keep my stuff hidden? (especially e-mails)

Wild_Duck66
May 20th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Towards the end of last year I bought an 8" capacitive screen tablet (MID816R2) and found it really useful. So now i have a Zenithink C91 10.2" widescreen cortex A9. It will not run BBC Iplayer on ICS but it will if flashed with Gingerbread. They`ve lowered the 1ghz CPU to 800mhz so it can be sluggish at times, I`m waiting for the next firmware update.

chris.olive
July 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I bought an Asus TF101 [16gb] a week ago and put a spare 32gb SDHC card in, and wonder how I did without it, when switched on and connected to wifi it at once updated Android 3.x to 4.x plus downloaded all my app's that are on my Galaxy S2, have been thinking about a tablet Asus/iPad for some time but againn was not happy being tied to Apple.
The 101 was very cheap and is a test to see if it works well then I would get a TF 700 when released, this is so good might not bother.
It conects to Win7 at once but I am still trying to mate it with Ubuntu 12.04.