PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 12.04, no wireless nor wired

voy108
May 16th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I upgraded via upgrade manager from 11.10 to 12.04. It seemed to go OK but on reboot...no wireless nor wired network and cannot revive it. I eventually booted thru GRUB and tried "previous Linux version" and voila, got the wireless working. Now, how can I tell Grub to boot into that version. It is on "previous version" menu as "generic" not generic-pae. I would like to "redo" install from live CD but it wants me to do something about the root directory. I'm dual booting into Win 7. I indicated the large ext4 which is where my Unity is but it wanted me to do something about "root". There is 3 ntfs for Win7 and 3 ext4's plus a swap...I tried Puppy Linux also. Obviously I'm lost.

I can run Unity from Grub but have to go thru "Previous Linux versions" and use Generic(no -pae). I tried recovery mode but didn't seem to help. Also, there was a post about using the terminal and b43 and went thru that but since wired was not working, it couldn't repair it.

Will reinstall correct this using Live CD? If so, how do I reinstall/repair. A little hand-holding here will help. I'm not a wizard on partitions so...

I have 12.04 LTS and was able to update it(Generic) via wireless. I have wired network attached but will not work even in this version. This is on a dual-boot Win7 Acer Aspire One.

zvacet
May 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Now, how can I tell Grub to boot into that version.

With Startup Manager (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StartUpManager)

voy108
May 18th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks avacet:
Tried to do Startup Manager but could not find it. After further search I came across recommendation to use grub customizer, that 12.04 has eliminated SM. You have to go thru some gyrations to get it but finally loaded it, It allowed me to re-arrange the grub menu. Now I'm wondering, what is the difference between "generic" and "generic-pae" on the grub startup interface?

I'm able to boot into Unity and 12.04 and upgrade it but what am I working with? Not knowing the hierarchy of Linux, am I going to have problems later?

Thanks for your help...it got me searching for a new solution to my questions.

voy108
May 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM
OOPS. S/B zvacet. Sloppy fingers.):P