PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] a gparted question....

shantiq
May 15th, 2012, 10:57 PM

ok not sure what to do here and need advice as i know it is serious business:KS

screenshot of my gparted on the 500Mb internal drive

precise is on /dev/sda2 and now i want to remove all the 11.10 still on the drive

in /dev/sda1 with the unallocated

i shrank the oneiric section so i could add it to precise but see it is not an option

how do i remove all of sda1 and free the space to add to precise on sda2?

i have changed sda2 to be boot [changed the flag option]

Can i now safely delete sda1 and free the space and still be able to boot sda2 and what happens to the unallocated will it then be able to be added to sda2

I need advice from someone who really knows all of this

thanx in advance shan

jadtech
May 15th, 2012, 11:03 PM

ok not sure what to do here and need advice as i know it is serious business:KS

screenshot of my gparted on the 500Mb internal drive

precise is on /dev/sda2 and now i want to remove all the 11.10 still on the drive

in /dev/sda1 with the unallocated

i shrank the oneiric section so i could add it to precise but see it is not an option

how do i remove all of sda1 and free the space to add to precise on sda2?

i have changed sda2 to be boot [changed the flag option]

Can i now safely delete sda1 and free the space and still be able to boot sda2 and what happens to the unallocated will it then be able to be added to sda2

I need advice from someone who really knows all of this

thanx in advance shan

why didnt you just format the whole disk to start with ???

darkod
May 15th, 2012, 11:06 PM
First, before deleting 11.10 you need to make sure grub is from the 12.04. To make sure, just boot 12.04 and in terminal do:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

After that you can safely delete /dev/sda1 without creating issues with grub.

Once /dev/sda1 is deleted and all of that is one bug unallocated space, you can either create new ext4 partition from it and use it in 12.04, or you can expand your 12.04 root to include the unallocated space.

If expanding, you will have to do it from live mode, swapoff the swap partition so there are no keys symbols, expand /dev/sda2 first to include the unallocated space, and only then expand /dev/sda6.

If you ask me, a much better option is simply creating new ext4 partition from the unallocated space and use it like that.

With every partition resize there is some small change of danger to your data. You don't need that. Linux works just fine with many partitions, it doesn't need to be whole in one.

shantiq
May 16th, 2012, 09:08 AM
ok thank you darko for complex info

now i have done sudo grub-install /dev/sda and stopped there as i want to make sure

i then did this

grub-install -v
grub-install (GRUB) 1.99-21ubuntu3
shantiq@shantiq-00000000000000000000000:~$ sudo update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-24-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-24-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda1
done

does it look right? may i proceed to remove sda1? why are sda2 and 12.04 not in the list ????

will then go that way
better option is simply creating new ext4 partition from the unallocated space and use it like that.

excuse the nervousness and doublecheck but i have made a mess before :KS:KS:KS

y muchas gracias por todo su ayuda shan

darkod
May 16th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, looks fine. When you run update-grub, by default it first finds the linux kernels from the installation it is connected to. In this case, the 3.2.0 which is 12.04.

Then after the memtest it finds all secondary OSs, in this you can see it reported your 11.10.

So, the primary is 12.04, just like we want it.

You can safely delete /dev/sda1 now.

shantiq
May 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
ok thanx done it this is what i have now

so now when i go to places / 196 GB file system [the new section] it does not open

do i need to mount it or something? not clear how i access that extra space now:KS

darkod
May 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM
By clicking on it in places, it should mount and open. In any case, to make a permanent mount, open your /etc/fstab and make a mount at /data for example:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Make a new line:
/dev/sda1 /data ext4 defaults 0 2

Save and close /etc/fstab. Test if it will mount correctly with:
sudo mount -a

After that you should see it mounted at /data. You can see all mounted devices with:
df -h

If you don't like /data, you can create your own path and folder, and use that as mount point. But you have to create it first, like:
sudo mkdir /path/foldername

Then use that mount point in /etc/fstab instead of /data.

shantiq
May 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
ok thanx again a very simple way was to reload the computer :KS:KS

so now i have my 500Gb in two parts with Precise 196Gb on one side and the rest on other side and i can easily navigate from one to the next

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6 276G 120G 142G 46% /
udev 1.3G 4.0K 1.3G 1% /dev
tmpfs 502M 964K 501M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 1.3G 1.1M 1.3G 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda1 183G 2.9G 171G 2% /media/777a9ed8-803f-42d0-af07-c03b98c26ba2

As you say much safer than risking the live disc manipulation and the fact that it is not in one block matters little

Thank you for your crystal-clear instructions; this is a fast and efficient way to do this; i simply did not trust the new Version [Precise] and wanted to test it for a few weeks before removing 11.10

This way allowed me to do that

PS ha i spoke too soon there is still a problem icannot move documents in and out of that section tells me i am not the owner

that cures it

sudo chown shantiq /media/777a9ed8-803f-42d0-af07-c03b98c26ba2

mastablasta
May 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM
also make sure that your user can access it.

i added new disk and it was kind of strange at first until i figured out i need to assign access (+read&write) rights to user.

shantiq
May 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
thank you mastablasta i think from terminal

sudo chown yourname /media/the new section

fixes that i hope seems ok:KS