PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Really poor performance after opening some programs (ATi HD4890 Gallium 0.4)

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hi, i have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Intel Core i7 4GBram (DDR3 1333), Gigabyte H55M-USB3, ATi HD4890 and I got really poor performance on ALL effects of unity after opening a small JPG of 1mb with gnome image viewer!

The fact is that after opening some aplications (in this case the image viewer) the overall desktop performance is really poor (I mean 5 to 7 FPS!!!!!!!!!)

Is there something I can do to fix that?, I really dont want to switch to jollycloud or Fedora, but, man, this issues come since inmemorial thimes!

Remember, I have a u$s250 (at launch time) graphics card, so my hardware is not the problem.

Please, really need some good advise to solve this.

Thanks!

PS: ti fix it, I have to kill compiz

QIII
May 15th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Do you have the fglrx driver installed?

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Not, al all!

QIII
May 15th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Are you dead set on the Gallium driver?

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Well, the fglrx driver went really worse!

So I followed ubuntu official guide to get rid of it and reinstalled gallium, but if there is a better driver, just let me know and guide me to install it, I really want to try. This is the only bad thing think I have to say Ubuntu 12.04

codingman
May 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM
doubt its the driver. Do the usual upgrade and update and then restart and see what happens.

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Well, that's what i do every single day, update sources, upgrade packages, but no luck, allways is a program that messes crashes compiz and I have to reboot.

At least, I realized that killing compiz solves the slowness problem withoutrestart, but again, it could be possible that some program messes it all again!

QIII
May 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM
The fglrx driver works very well, as a matter of fact -- provided you install the one in the Ubuntu repository and do not attempt to compile it from source from the ATI website.

The difference between the Ubuntu version of the 12.4 driver (development version 8.960) and the 12.4 version released to the public after Ubuntu 12.04 was released (development version 8.961) is little more that a number, but enough to make it problematic for some people.

The 8.960 version works fine and full hardware acceleration is available for it in VA-API, which takes about 4 packages to install in Ubuntu.

The Gallium driver is a layer that attempts to generalize the process to make developing easier. General tools are rarely better than specialty tools at a given task.

How did you install the fglrx driver?

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Oh, I see, I installed fglrx manually using AMDs one.

Please tell me, how may I install the BEST driver from ubuntu official repos?

Thanks!

QIII
May 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Remember, the one in the repo IS the ATI driver. The development version 8.960. The difference is that a MOTU has prepackaged it as needed so that it installs correctly.

Uninstall and blacklist the Gallium driver. Purge the fglrx driver if you haven't done so already.

Don't install the driver via the additional drivers method, since that has caused some users difficulty.

Use the terminal:

sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccleSome people say to use the fglrx-updates and fglrx-amdcccle-updates versions. This has led to the inability to use the Catalyst Control Center on the six machines I have done that on.

Then BEFORE you shut down, create an initial xorg.conf, since one does not exist any longer in Ubuntu:

sudo aticonfig --initialReboot.

After that, to get hardware acceleration via VA-API and the xvba backend:

sudo apt-get install vainfo xvba-va-driver libva-egl1 libva-glx1To test that hardware acceleration is working:

vainfoYou should get something like this:

libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
Then use the Catalyst Control Center to make your desired adjustments to your video.

Some users have reported that Catalyst won't open from the menu. If it won't, just open it from the terminal:

sudo amdcccle

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Well, thats what I call great support.

Please tel me how to
Uninstall and blacklist the Gallium driver. Purge the fglrx driver if you haven't done so already.

QIII
May 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get remove --purge glxinfo && sudo apt-get install glxinfoCheck here for how to blacklist the Gallium driver.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/36268/how-do-i-blacklist-the-gallium-ati-driver

Edit: Just happened to realize that if you installed via AMD's website, you'll probably need to uninstall the driver following their instructions.

razor7
May 15th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Hi, on

sudo apt-get remove --purge glxinfo && sudo apt-get install glxinfo

I get

E: Couldn't Find Package package glxinfo

QIII
May 15th, 2012, 11:51 PM
You probably don't have it installed, so it quit on the first command.

Install glxinfo. It is not required, but it reports some information that might be useful.

razor7
May 16th, 2012, 12:05 AM
OK, got it.

Now i get

E: Couldn't find package xvba-va-driver

QIII
May 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Do you have the multiverse repository enabled?

razor7
May 16th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Great!, that did the trick.

Any furter question will be back on this thread

QIII
May 16th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Good.

Is your performance good now? Or are you still experimenting with that?

razor7
May 16th, 2012, 12:15 AM
No, the performance is OK now.

I had had oppened the jpg of 1mb and now the sistems doesn't freezes.

Thanks!

razor7
May 16th, 2012, 02:13 AM
So far, not so good!

Now I'm facing great performance issues in Firefox (12.0) in plain html pages (like this one), nothing about flash or animations or videos.

When scrolling the page up and down the scrolling gets pretty slow!

QIII
May 16th, 2012, 03:15 AM
If your video performance is otherwise good, it might be a good idea to start a new thread specifically for the Firefox issue.

razor7
October 13th, 2012, 03:53 PM
As this is a real shame for Ubuntu,I have filled a bug report. If you want to support this motion, please suscribe to this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/1066313

PS: Steam on Ubuntu, but warning, you won't be able to surf the web descently!