PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Failed install - ubuntu stuck on wallpaper screen forever

kindov
May 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Hi everybody.

I am a total newbie both to this forum and to ubuntu / linux world, so please, be patient with my ignorance :-)

Here goes the trouble:

1 - I tried to install Ubuntu Desktop LTS 12.04 on my older Toshiba Sattelite (M40-285, 1,86 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI mobility card). I chose to make a clear install, deleting the XP Proffessional which used to sit there. Seemingly, everything went fine during the installation.

2 - Upon rebooting, the Ubuntu OS launch gets stuck passed the loading screen. Once that the dark purple screen is gone, the default desktop wallpaper gets loaded, but that is as far as I get. The wallpaper sits there and nothing happens. The only "solution" is to "kill" the OS by holding the power button.

Things I tried:

1 - Reinstalling Ubuntu - did not help.

2 - Booting Ubuntu from the install CD. Even this was impossible. Interestingly, I get the "welcome screen" where you can choose between "install" and "try out ubuntu". I can go to install just fine, but if I choose the try out option, the same thing happens: the window disappears and I get stuck with just the wallpaper loaded. This makes launching any apps from the CD version impossible. Here I got stuck - originally I thought I would try to fix this with the boot repair tool, but I cannot launch anything because there is no way to load the OS. (Remark: I was stupid enough not to try the "live" CD version of the OS. I installed right away.)

OK. This is as far as I got. I will welcome any suggestions or hints on how to solve this.

Many thanks.

Mat

mörgæs
May 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
This is an older computer. I would try a reinstall using Lubuntu 12.04. Remember to have wired internet access while installing and during the first restart.

To begin with, don't install closed-source graphics drivers, even if the system offers this.

If needed you could try boot options:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

kindov
May 16th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Thank you very much. Yeah, it is an old comp and I just wanted to make it usable for basic things (email, internet, docs edditing...) as my "secondary" computer.

I did not know about the advanced boot menu nor about Lubuntu. i will try it out and get back with an update.

Thank you very much.

kindov
May 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
mörgæs, thank you very much again.

I installed lubuntu and it works perfectly on this older comp. I really appreciate your help.

mörgæs
May 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
You're welcome. Please mark the thread 'solved' using 'thread tools'.