View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading

May 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions for upgrading from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS please?

May 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
If your Updates option is set to Long Term releases only, the Update Manager doesn't offer upgrade to LTS from the previous LTS until the first .1 is released.

Some of the issues noticed in 12.04 can be fixed in 12.04.1, that's why the upgrade process from the previous LTS version waits until the .1 is released, which is due in July.

it might be better to wait for it. 10.04 still has updates for one year more so you can wait until July without any problem.

If you don't want to wait, you can start from terminal the Update Manager with an option for the upgrade to 12.04 with this:
sudo update-manager -d

May 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Desktops 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS (Recommended)
Note that the page under https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_to_U buntu_12.04_LTS says: "It is generally recommended that users of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS wait until the first point release, due in July, before upgrading." Follow the instructions there if you want to upgrade earlier since the following instructions will probably not work until then.

this is what the documentation says just a warning if you want to upgrade from 10.04 right now make backups ..

all you have to do right now to up grade is go to the software updater and in setting check mark to update proposed update and pre-releases then click the check button keep updating.if the upgrade button doesn't show up go to the terminal type

sudo apt-get update

just a side note if its not worth the time it takes to make a back up go get the ISO burn it to a dvd or bootable USB and do a clean install from scratch there is far less chance of having problems ..

May 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Good Info. Thanks guys. I downloaded the new release, but now I think I'll just wait for July to roll around.

No hurries.

: )

May 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. I think I'll wait until July, as presumably the main kinks will be ironed out.

Bucky Ball
May 15th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. I think I'll wait until July, as presumably the main kinks will be ironed out.

+1. If you're running a production machine or just need reliability/stability this is a good idea. You might wait for the release of 12.04.1.