PDA

View Full Version : Broadband and the World Cup

Biltong (Dee)
June 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Is it just me, or do other people notice that the internet almost grinds to a halt at 18H00 GMT and 21H00 GMT?

I usually have a fast connection, but nowadays posting anything has become a nightmare and fetching online mail has become a midnight thing...

I blame it on World Cup streaming, but as far as I can tell there are no sites where you can get a continual feed!

Sonique
June 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
If you live in the uk, you can watch all the matches online on the BBC website, but that's only if the bbc are broadcasting them (sometimes ITV do the matches)

Im not an internet expect, but would the constant streaming of videos slow down the internet?

Biltong (Dee)
June 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but that's the BBC, and only for UK based ISP's. This should not slow the rest of the Net down surely?

EDIT. I have Opera tweaked to perfection, and I am just bitchin' cos it takes 10 seconds to post now instead of the usual 3.
Spoilt really.. :-)

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I actually thought that the internet slowed down just after Dapper was released.

Biltong (Dee)
June 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM
LOL!
I wish it had :-)
Weel...on thinking about it, the forums did, but not much else...

Sonique
June 16th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I can't wait for the day when they have press releases warning ppl that they should stop surfing the net, as everyone is updating their linux distrubutions and they should take piority!

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 12:45 AM
My NTL is crap just before the World CUp. I was blaming NTL customer support all week. I hope t is a temporary issue. ANd I also noticed it is slow only on certain pages (Ubuntuforums is the slowest one.)