PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Top panel Issue

satish_j
May 15th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a spare partition alongside Lucid.
Iam new to unity environment but iam really liking it.
There is one feature,though,that i would like to retain from old gnome classic environment and that is the control buttons(Minimize,Maximize,Close) on the top right corner,but the Unity's top panel is not allowing to achieve this.
I have tweaked the layout through gconf-editor and configured to button layout to

:minimize,maximize,close

This is working fine(i.e buttons on right side)only if the applications window are not maximized.
Maximizing the app windows causes them to expand upto the Unity top bar and then,the control buttons are again shown on left side.This is one feature of unity that i dislike.
So,my question is:-Is there anyway to get the control buttons to always show on left side
OR
Is there a way to shift unity's top panel to bottom?

Frogs Hair
May 15th, 2012, 02:19 PM
So,my question is:-Is there anyway to get the control buttons to always show on left side

The buttons are on the left by default. The feature that places the buttons on the left of the top panel at full screen has bothered some others as well after moving the buttons to the right .

The launcher can be moved to the bottom from the left with an unofficial plug-in. Moving the top panel to the bottom is not possible without a major rewrite.

satish_j
May 16th, 2012, 05:58 AM
This is really disappointing:(
Meanwhile,I found another feature missing in 12.04.This time,it is the file manager(Nautilus)which is missing 'Refresh' button in the tool-bar.
I dont know how many more features may be missing in the new LTS.
i am installing classic gnome alongside unity so that whenever needed can switch to it..
GoodBye..

kuvanito
July 7th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a spare partition alongside Lucid.
Iam new to unity environment but iam really liking it.
There is one feature,though,that i would like to retain from old gnome classic environment and that is the control buttons(Minimize,Maximize,Close) on the top right corner,but the Unity's top panel is not allowing to achieve this.
I have tweaked the layout through gconf-editor and configured to button layout to

:minimize,maximize,close

This is working fine(i.e buttons on right side)only if the applications window are not maximized.
Maximizing the app windows causes them to expand upto the Unity top bar and then,the control buttons are again shown on left side.This is one feature of unity that i dislike.
OR
Is there a way to shift unity's top panel to bottom?

i feel your pain too
i am there also trying different things but there is no go.
try other distros and see for yourself

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM
i feel your pain too
i am there also trying different things but there is no go.
try other distros and see for yourself

I see you've been posting a lot of questions at QQ +1 (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=416) so why dredge up a weeks old issue here regarding Precise with the comment, "try other distros and see for yourself" :confused:

I don't get your point.

kuvanito
July 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I see you've been posting a lot of questions at QQ +1 (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=416) so why dredge up a weeks old issue here regarding Precise with the comment, "try other distros and see for yourself" :confused:

I don't get your point.

i am trying to achive the same goal as satish_j he started this thread
do you have any help to give for this goal? obviously no,then leave us alone
yes there other distros than give partial answer to our goal but that is not the answer,we are here because we are Ubuntu fans and loyal but want to achieves our own goals,Ubuntu is not listening to it's people and are forcing things down our throat like Microsfot and Apple did to their people,that is why we came to Ubuntu Linux.i am sure that there a lots of people here that would like some sort of small change to the Distro but are afraid to say anything in this forum because of people like you.If you can't help then SHUT UP!

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM
i am trying to achive the same goal as satish_j he started this thread
do you have any help to give for this goal? obviously no,then leave us alone
yes there other distros than give partial answer to our goal but that is not the answer,we are here because we are Ubuntu fans and loyal but want to achieves our own goals,Ubuntu is not listening to it's people and are forcing things down our throat like Microsfot and Apple did to their people,that is why we came to Ubuntu Linux.i am sure that there a lots of people here that would like some sort of small change to the Distro but are afraid to say anything in this forum because of people like you.If you can't help then SHUT UP!

Sheesh, I was only asking a question to see if I could help, no need to start throwing stones. If you are specific about what you're trying to achieve maybe others can help. For instance I've been working on this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

And that would not be possible if;

Ubuntu is not listening to it's people and are forcing things down our throat like Microsfot and Apple did to their people,that is why we came to Ubuntu Linux.i am sure that there a lots of people here that would like some sort of small change to the Distro but are afraid to say anything in this forum because of people like you.

And the forums are the wrong place to request actual changes to the distro, but there are mailing lists for the various design and development teams :)

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2012, 05:37 PM
OTOH 90% of the time I can find a suitable tweak for Unity at one of these links (the first breaks off into distro version):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/29553/how-can-i-configure-unity

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity