View Full Version : [SOLVED] Noob question: Tarball from Sourceforge

May 15th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Hello all.

I am taking a Java course and am pretty new to programming (and Linux, for that matter).

I was looking around for some sample games in Java to tinker with them, and came across this page: http://creepsmash.svn.sourceforge.net/

I clicked the "Download GNU Tarball" link. I downloaded the tarball, and now I have no idea what to do with it. I'm hoping to be able to open this game up in Eclipse and take a look at the code.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

May 15th, 2012, 03:07 AM

You need to unpack it.

Open a terminal, navigate to the directory you downloaded it to, and type

tar -xvf creepsmash.tar.gz

That will create a directory wher it will be unzipped to called creepsmash

You can also use tool in the GUI as well.

Kind regards

May 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Excellent, thank you.

Now that I've done that, is there a way to import the entire application into Eclipse to view and edit the code? I flipped through the folders and I see lots of different Java classes. Are they meant to be viewed individually or is there some kind of overarching application in there somewhere that calls to the individual classes?

Thanks in advance.

May 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM

You can import them into eclipse or copy the source directory to the src directory in your workspace then refresh. I have not had a good look at the source.

I don't like eclipse as an IDE and it has been a good while since i have (had to) use(d) it. :P

As i suspect my knowledge of eclipse is out of date, I suggest reading this

Kind regards

May 16th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Thank you, that is helpful.