PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any successful release upgrades (11.10-12.04)

naviathan
May 15th, 2012, 02:00 AM
As the title says, has anyone successfully upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 without any issues? I have a simple file server running 11.10 Server AMD64. It's headless and it handles my RAID 5 home share, sabnzbdplus, sickbeard and couchpotato. I'm not worried about losing my data as the RAID 5 is separate from the OS (OS is on a 32GB SSD) and I maintain everything either through SSH or Webmin. I'd rather avoid any issues that would make me have to reconfigure this system as it's been running flawlessly for months now.

If it's been a pretty safe upgrade I'd like to do it just to be on an LTS and really not have to worry about upgrading for a few years.

raja.genupula
May 15th, 2012, 03:35 AM
If you dont have power issues in your area , then half of the troubles are over .because my upgrade was failed due to power loss at the time of installing the upgrades .

put Ubuntu 12.04 Live CD and check that all functions of your hardware are working proper with Ubuntu 12.04 ..

But in upgrading taking necessary data as backup is always a good idea . If you have take back up , then if any un desired thing happen while upgrading with a fresh installing we can restore the backup's . to prevent data loss .

All the best ..:)

nariub
May 15th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I have 6 machines.
I have successfully installed 12.04 on one, waxed the old config.
I have successfully upgraded a 11.10 to 12.04
I have successfully upgraded a 10.04 to 12.04

I have 3 more boxes to upgrade.
Two of those are 11.10s and one 10.04
I want to wait on my server (email, dns, apache, etc) until the point release this summer. It generally takes the bugginess out of the process that way.

But I will probably do one or both of the others before then, as time permits. There were minor issues, with everything but the clean install. I say that because I haven't played with the clean install that much. That box is barely used, which was why it was a clean install.

My VMPlayer horked, and had to patch it.
Wireshark developed an interface issue. which i resolved.
piddling stuff for the most part.

If you want to do it now, there shouldnt be a big issue, I do not run the same apps as you, and do not guarantee anything. But I do advise you to wait til the point release for servers and things acting like servers.

naviathan
May 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Wow, great breakdown and advice. Thanks, I feel a bit more confident about upgrading it. I'll probably just backup my configs for my programs and see what happens.

raja.genupula
May 16th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah and for now please mark the thread as solved , so that we can look at others . Thank you my friend .:) :)