PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu: Launch expo with <super> key Only. Instead of <super+s>

animehunter123
May 14th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your help.

===============
Question: How can you launch Expo in Ubuntu12.04 by using the <super> by itself?
===============

I would like to launch the Expo view with only the <super> key. I know we can use ccsm to change the <super> key for unity, so I changed it to Shift+Ctrl+<super>

How can we change the Expo View Launcher from <super>+s to <super>. It doesnt seem to work for me in compiz. Can anyone provide guidance?

Thank you so much!:popcorn:

Here is my system information:

bobmiller@ubuntubob:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=&quot;Ubuntu 12.04 LTS&quot;

bobmiller@ubuntubob:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntubob 3.3.4-030304-generic #201205011755 SMP Tue May 1 01:56:36 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

animehunter123
May 16th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone have any ideas? I want to launch expo to show all my windows but only via using the key

IWantFroyo
May 16th, 2012, 02:11 AM
This is because the dash is already controlled by the Super key. I don't think there's an option to change that in CCSM, though.

I suggest using the Ctrl-Alt-Arrowkey approach to switching workspaces for now.

animehunter123
May 16th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the tip. Yes Ctrl Alt is fine, but I was wondering if the key can work. Setting it via ccsm to any other key like F9 works fine, but I really need it to use the super key. Ideas? Guidance? Thanks so much!

animehunter123
May 17th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I wonder if Ubuntu/Unity/Shell has a Hook that still holds onto the key, even if you disable using it via compiz or Unity Settings. Still playing around with this... Does anyone know how to make the Expo plugin to show your workspaces work with the key?

animehunter123
May 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
I tried disabling unity and switching to xfce or kde; but the behaviour is the same. Does anyone know how to launch EXPO to view your workspaces from the command-line or via the SUPER Key (not any other key)?

animehunter123
May 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know how to do this? Please help...

gnusci
May 29th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Intall GConf-Editor

$ sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

Run it, Super+A search by "gconf"

Form the menu "Edit" click "Find", and search for "expo_key", check "Serach also in key name"

You will find the lines:

/apps/compiz-1/plugins/expo/screen0/options/expo_key
/apps/compizconfig-1/profiles/Default/plugins/expo/screen0/options/expo_key

Then you need to customize expo_key value.

animehunter123
May 29th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Thank you very much. This information worked but did not succeed. Did I do something wrong:

Here is what i did:

0) Used Unity Settings Control Panel to set Unity Menu to Ctrl+Shift+Super. This works fine. Now, lets try and map Super to just launch expo.
1) sudo apt-get install -y gconf-editor
2) gconf-editor &

3) Searched and found expo_key entries (4 lines below):
/schemas/apps/compiz-1/plugins/expo/screen0/options/expo_key
/schemas/apps/compiz-1/plugins/expo/screen0/options/expo_key

4) Changed all 4 entries of "expo_key" from "super s" to "super".
5) Rebooted machine. Pressed super (the windows key) and nothing happened. If I press super + s, then it launches expo. What did I do wrong :(
-Ubuntu 12.04

Intall GConf-Editor

$ sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

Run it, Super+A search by &quot;gconf&quot;

Form the menu &quot;Edit&quot; click &quot;Find&quot;, and search for &quot;expo_key&quot;, check &quot;Serach also in key name&quot;

You will find the lines:

Then you need to customize expo_key value.

gnusci
May 29th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Try changing the root settings

gksudo gconf-editor

animehunter123
May 29th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Hello, I tried again with gksudo gconf-editor as local user and as root and still cannot map Expo to the super key. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for your help

gnusci
May 29th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I think the problem you have it is that the <Super> is being used by another shortcut. If you search for "<Super>" in gconf-editor you will fine this two lines:

/apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/show_launcher
/apps/compizconfig-1/profiles/Default/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/show_launcher

You may need to change that too, if you want to use it for another purpose.

animehunter123
May 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately it did not work. After changing the 'expo_key' to SUPER, I then searched for 'show_launcher' which was set to SUPER.
I changed: /apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/show_launcher to SUPER ALT L but i still cannot launch expo with the super key.
Can you try and do it? I made a vm from scratch of default ubuntu 12.04 and repeated and the vm did the same exact behaviour.

How can I launch expo with just the SUPER key? Thank you so much.

animehunter123
June 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know how to do this? I need to launch Expo via the super key (windows key). Please help.):P