PDA

View Full Version : name of home and user folder.

spiritech
May 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
should the home folder in the file system be renamed user or users.
then be given a choice to name your "home" as home or your user name. just thought it would help with eliminating having a path called /home/home/

that way it would become /user/home/ or /user/"your user name"/

spiritech

carl4926
May 14th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I think you may be a little confused
Try pressing Ctrl+L and look at the path again

Copper Bezel
May 14th, 2012, 06:33 AM
No, he's not talking about the way it's presently arranged. He's saying that "user" or "users" would be a more accurate description than "home." OSX actually uses something like "users" for the same folder, doesn't it?

aysiu
May 14th, 2012, 06:46 AM
The way Windows 7 does it is C:\Users is where the users are and then C:\Documents and Settings is a symlink (or shortcut) to C:\Users.

Ubuntu could make it so that /users is where the users are and then /home is a symlink to /users.

carl4926
May 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM
No, he's not talking about the way it's presently arranged. He's saying that "user" or "users" would be a more accurate description than "home." OSX actually uses something like "users" for the same folder, doesn't it?

OK
I was a little unsure
I though maybe he meant
http://thumbnails73.imagebam.com/19014/74faf4190133099.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/74faf4190133099)

carl4926
May 14th, 2012, 06:52 AM
The way Windows 7 does it is C:\Users is where the users are and then C:\Documents and Settings is a symlink (or shortcut) to C:\Users.

Ubuntu could make it so that /users is where the users are and then /home is a symlink to /users.
Yuck and more yuck
Windows file system is a complete mess IMO

zombifier25
May 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yuck and more yuck

Agree. On Windows I don't know what folders do backup because software configs is thrown randomly everywhere. On Linux, backup the home folder and bam! you're good.
And this is only one example.

mcduck
May 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM
should the home folder in the file system be renamed user or users.
then be given a choice to name your "home" as home or your user name. just thought it would help with eliminating having a path called /home/home/

that way it would become /user/home/ or /user/"your user name"/

spiritech

Wouldn't that break pretty badly if you actually have more than one user? ;) Only one of them would have the option to call his home directory "home" while all the others would still have to use their actual usernames instead...

Bandit
May 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Yuck and more yuck

I hate windows file system.

Linux FS is fine the way it is. It may not be perfect, but dear god at least I can find what I am looking for.

spiritech
May 16th, 2012, 08:11 AM
OK
I was a little unsure
I though maybe he meant
http://thumbnails73.imagebam.com/19014/74faf4190133099.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/74faf4190133099)

this is exactly what i was talking about.

spiritech
May 16th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Wouldn't that break pretty badly if you actually have more than one user? ;) Only one of them would have the option to call his home directory "home" while all the others would still have to use their actual usernames instead...

i am sure people could navigate to a folder named by there user name instead of home.

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2012, 03:10 PM
First of all, it would be confusing, because we already have a /usr folder.

Ubuntu could make it so that /users is where the users are and then /home is a symlink to /users.That's actually not a bad idea to help Windows converts. But I think it would be more compliant with standards to make /users link to /home. I think it's probably better for people to learn about how Linux is different, though.

this is exactly what i was talking about.
If that's what you're talking about, then you're just confused by how Nautilus shows things. The directory is not actually /home/home. The first "home" that Nautilus shows is the actual /home folder. The next "Home" that Nautilus shows is just what Nautilus chooses to display as your current user's /home folder, and the actual folder name is your username. It's kind of confusing that it does that, but no matter what your username is, it would show up as "Home" right there in Nautilus. So it's a Nautilus problem, not a Linux filesystem problem.

zombifier25
May 16th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Actually, IMO it will not help Windows convert. Linux's file system structure is very different from Windows and trying to change it wouldn't narrow the differences down, it only makes the current situation more difficult. (usr and user. Seriously?)
If they want to use Linux, they have to learn Linux first. Linux's goal is not to be a Windows' replacement, and we have to accept that.

llua+
May 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Yuck and more yuck
Sloppy? Yep. but ensures backwards compatible with programs that expect the folder. Very similar to the /usr merge thats going on in linux at this very moment in fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove), opensuse (http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Usr_merge) etc. symlinks and all.

SlackerD
May 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I hate windows file system.

Linux FS is fine the way it is. It may not be perfect, but dear god at least I can find what I am looking for.

Which fileystem?

carl4926
May 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Sloppy? Yep. but ensures backwards compatible with programs that expect the folder. Very similar to the /usr merge thats going on in linux at this very moment in fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove), opensuse (http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Usr_merge) etc. symlinks and all.
Yes I know about this.

I'm not a windows user, but my visits there have proved frustrating, as much on the user side as the system
Eg; finding the equivalent of .mozilla
Got there in the end :D

Copper Bezel
May 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Blah. If we're talking about user data, there's still the half of Linux apps that store things in .config/whatever and .local/share/whatever instead of .whatever. Or do both, so that you think you've cleared or backed up your user data but haven't really.

spiritech
May 16th, 2012, 11:57 PM
First of all, it would be confusing, because we already have a /usr folder.

yes that would be confusing i did not realize there was already a /usr. folder.

If that's what you're talking about, then you're just confused by how Nautilus shows things. The directory is not actually /home/home. The first "home" that Nautilus shows is the actual /home folder. The next "Home" that Nautilus shows is just what Nautilus chooses to display as your current user's /home folder, and the actual folder name is your username. It's kind of confusing that it does that, but no matter what your username is, it would show up as "Home" right there in Nautilus. So it's a Nautilus problem, not a Linux filesystem problem.

thats probably the point i was trying to make. it would be nice if nautilus would call your "home" folder your user name, or at least, thats my preference anyway. i dont find it confusing, just a little annoying. maybe there is a way of changing in the gconf or dconf without editing the source. i think i will have a poke around a bit and find out.

smellyman
May 17th, 2012, 12:11 AM
lesson one:

"/home This is where users keep their personal files. Every user has their own directory under /home"

"ok, understood"

it's really not daunting or confusing to anybody. If it is, then good luck teaching them anything else about OS's and applications.....it will be a very bumpy ride.

aysiu
May 17th, 2012, 12:45 AM
I'm partial to the way OS X does it. I don't like everything OS X does, but the file/folder structure is pretty good.

Basically, /Applications stores the applications, /Users has the users, /Volumes has all the drives (CD-ROMs, USB sticks, external hard drives), and /Library has most of the application libraries. The rest of the folders are hidden (but still accessible). If you know what you're doing, you can still access /etc, /bin, /usr... you just won't stumble on those directories accidentally.

szymon_g
May 17th, 2012, 02:10 AM
hm... one of the first things I do after installing linux, is changing /etc/default/adduser to change default $HOME directory: from /home/$USERNAME to /home/users/$USERNAME
I also create /home/services (for ftp, www etc) and /home/shared (for things shared between users on the same computer.
Reason? /home is usually on different partition, so keeping "big" things out of / is useful when I'm not willing to use LVM. also, it can be kept on different disk/disks array.