PDA

View Full Version : Do you take public transportation?

Tombradyhasamachinehead
May 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I do, MBTA

swisscow
May 13th, 2012, 07:33 PM
All the time, except when I cycle to work. 2 reasons - don't have a car and don't want one, and live in Switzerland where the public transport is fantastic.:)

Paqman
May 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Yup. Public transport is pretty good around here, and I get free travel on the trains. I'd be mad not to really.

Irihapeti
May 13th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Yes. Parking for the car was a hassle, and given that I didn't drive much, it made sense to sell it and use public transport. I walk a certain amount as well.

del_diablo
May 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'd rather not, as its horrible around here. Its only setup so the school students can use it, and beyond that its useless.
Its just a shame I have to.

nathan.the.sane
May 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
If we had any in my area I would totally use it; but there isn't, so I don't.

I do use a motorcycle, so I can usually go for a week on $10 of fuel. :D

PaulW2U
May 13th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Q. Do I take public transportation?

A. Of course, it's subsidised by my local council and offers what is virtually a door to door service between my home and place of work. :D

wilee-nilee
May 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Bus or bicycle to the bus, lol. I live in a pretty bike friendly city in the US.

Peripheral Visionary
May 13th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I live in a rural town and there is no public transportation except for school buses and "senior services" which only takes old folks to their doctor and medical appointments.

georgelappies
May 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
It is non existing where I am so no.

sffvba[e0rt
May 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM
It is non existing where I am so no.

Yes... Secunda had a public bus system way back in the very early part of the 80's...

I have been very dependent on public transport for the last 3 years. But enough is enough, on my way to the big city in two days to start car shopping :)

rich52x
May 14th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Yes, but not so much recently. A year ago (when I was 15) it cost me 80 pence for a one way ticket into the city centre (about three miles from where I live). Now that I'm sixteen, and prices have gone up for everyone too, I have to pay £1.90

Ridiculous

lisati
May 14th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I usually walk to work, about 15-20 minutes from home. When doing errands for Mrs Lisati, I often use the bus. The bus service in my area isn't too bad: I live within fairly easy walk of two bus routes, one has hourly service, the other every 15 minutes during the week.

Back in the day, Mrs Lisati and I had a car given to us by her family, but it ended up being too expensive to keep on the road legally. It got to the point where a decent set of repairs and maintenance would have cost us more than the car was worth.

Face-Ache
May 14th, 2012, 03:27 AM
No i don't, i drive to and from my course. I looked into getting the bus, but it was going to be NZD$7 each way, and it was cheaper for me to drive the car, find free parking, and walk from where i parked to the course i am doing.

Hamilton, in New Zealand has a pretty good bus service, but it's a bit expensive, and i have to go with what is ultimately my cheapest option.

wolfen69
May 14th, 2012, 04:46 AM
There is no public transportation in the town I live in. Don't have much of a choice but to drive.

cariboo
May 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I'd have to drive to the closest bus stop, so no I don't use Public transport. The city I live has a population of 14,000, so the public transit system isn't the greatest, short hours, short routes and mostly inconvenient if you don't live right in the city,

isaacj87
May 14th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I have on occasion. I found public transportation to be a great alternative to rising gas prices and stop-and-go traffic. Unfortunately, the rail and bus system where I live is greatly underdeveloped and the times aren't convenient enough.

Whenever I travel, either to other countries or different states, I love to try out the different systems that area has.

Bandit
May 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
There is no public transportation here were I live. You have no choice but to get a car. Sad part is you cant get a job without a car because they want to make sure you have a way to work, irony is you cant get a car without a job. :confused:

Also no public transport in 95% of the state of Mississippi and it shows, MS is the fattest state in the union with the most overweight people in the US.

EDIT:
When I lived in San Diego I used the public transport a lot, it was a great way to get around and was very stress free.

zombifier25
May 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I take the bus to school everyday.

ubiquitin.jf
May 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Indeed I do. I live in London and anybody who drives around here is either mad or a fool.

Paqman
May 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Indeed I do. I live in London and anybody who drives around here is either mad or a fool.

This. I really enjoyed not owning a car when I lived in London. Cars are just an ongoing hassle and expense.

lisati
May 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
This. I really enjoyed not owning a car when I lived in London. Cars are just an ongoing hassle and expense.

I enjoyed the occasional foray on public transport when visiting London back in 1971. At one point I could recite all the train stops from Southfield to Earls Court on what used to be the green line.

jshepherd
May 14th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I do use public transport from time to time, mainly for work during winter months (there's a bus every ten minutes to the city centre where I live and the stop is at the end of our road).
However, in better weather I like to cycle - even my bike is subsidised by my employer! But most of all, I prefer my motorcycle over all other forms of transport.
I use the car only if I have to so my partner uses the car for the school run.

BeRoot ReBoot
May 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
No. The trains are never on time, the buses are crowded full of smelly people and would require me to walk to/from bus stops, not to mention neither are properly heated in the winter or air conditioned in the summer. The low price simply pales in comparison to the added inconvenience.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 16th, 2012, 12:04 AM
No; however, I would like to.

The public transportation here is terrible. I can drive my car from home to work in 10 minutes. Using public transportation it would take an hour. Three different public transport vehicles to get from home to work with 20 minute wait time between vehicles. I would have to travel from a small town to the big city then to another small town that are only 5 miles from each other. :confused:

Two hours or 20 minutes commute time each day, and paying more for the privileged of using public transportation than the cost of fuel for my car? No thank you, I'll drive.

I really like the public transportation in Germany and the UK. I pay for 3 days to 1 week worth of public transport at a very reasonable price. The tickets are good for tube, train, or bus. I even traveled from Germany to France without any problems, and I don't know either of the languages. I don't find that I need to rent a car while I am in either Germany or the UK, and never use a taxi.

When in cities or towns in Greece, Italy, Australia (excluding the outback), Argentina, Chili, Canada, Jamaica, and Mexico, I use taxis most often. When traveling in the US, I rent a car most of the time.

lz1dsb
May 16th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I take a bus, a metro line and at the end a tram to reach the place where I work every day . Whew! it takes me about 60 mins to finish that journey :( With a car it's almost the same, but prefer the public transport, because I can read a book or a magazine. I own a car but I only use it if ever during the weekends.
What do you guys think about "folding bikes"? Does anyone own the best type of folding bike I've ever seen: Brompton?
I bought Dahon Ciao D5 recently. I can fold it when I use the metro line and than skip the bus and the tram. The last time I've used it it saved me about 20 minutes :guitar:
Unfortunately the weather is quite bad recently and it rains almost every day.
I agree with the above comments. Germany has great public transportation system. Austria too has good public transport, especially in Vienna!

mips
May 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM
We don't have a decent public transportation system here and what we do have is filthy and disgusting. The only exception being the busses in bigger systems. A trip by car to the city would take me 40min by car, taking the train is 2hrs and getting to the dodgy train station is 7km away, no thanks.

Locally a businessman sponsors a couple of mini busses or vans (seats about 20 I think) that you can book to use for parties & going to sports events and you only have to give a donation for the drivers times. This is so people don't drink & drive. Nice to have but not really public transportation.

BrokenKingpin
May 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Nope, I love my car and the freedom it gives me. The city I live an work in isn't all that bad for traffic so getting around in a car is fine.

Fajfi Pri
May 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
No, for a couple reasons.

One, I live only a 30 minute walk down the street from my school.

Two, I live with my mum who owns a car.

Three, The public transportation here isn't comprehensive enough for my needs.

Four, Only homeless people use the public transportation.

When I move elsewhere, later in life, I might look into taking public transportation, but as for now it is just not practical for me.

mamamia88
May 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I live in Northwest Indiana where there is no real viable public transportation. When I go to Chicago I will take the train which is a 45 minute ride downtown for about $10 round trip. I wish it was a viable option because in all honesty owning a car is like flushing money down the toilet.

BeRoot ReBoot
May 16th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Four, Only homeless people use the public transportation.

I can definitely relate to this. The public transportation system is perceived as such low status here, most people who can afford to would probably avoid it even if it weren't inferior to every other mode of transport. I wouldn't be caught dead riding a stinky, crowded bus and sharing what should be personal space with people who probably make minimum wage and would likely give serious consideration to committing violent crimes for the contents of my lunch box.

ArtLaForge
May 17th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I'm so far out in the country I need a car to get to the bus stop.:lolflag:

Bandit
May 17th, 2012, 02:21 AM

I agree 100% and I own a car. Like my 12th or 13th one by now.
Planning on moving overseas by the end of this year. Looking forward to public transportation.

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 02:47 AM
With a compromised immune system there is no way on this green earth am I getting on public transport.

venator260
May 17th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I'd like to use it for work, but I think that I'd have to leave my apartment at something like 6:15am to get to work by 8. I usually don't even get out of bed until 6:30am or 6:45am.And the buses stop running early, so if I wanted to do overtime, I'd be out of luck with the buses.

I did have a job that i was able to mostly ride the bus. I liked it, not having to worry about finding parking or buying gas.

I do ride the bus on the occasion that I need to go downtown.

Gacelita
May 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I do. Even though public transportation is a horrible around here traveling this way has some kind of charm.

BeRoot ReBoot
May 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM
With a compromised immune system there is no way on this green earth am I getting on public transport.

Tell that to the walking biological weapons I always seem to notice in the vicinity of bus and train stops.

Really, this isn't rocket science: If you're sick, stay away from crowded places.

eriktheblu
May 17th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'll use it when visiting California since it's cheaper than renting a car, and I'm rarely in a hurry since it's a vacation.

There is no viable public transport where I live now.

jmull
May 18th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I take the bus or train whenever possible. If it's not I try to figure out the logistics if walking or biking.