PDA

View Full Version : What apps do you use wine with?

Somenoob
June 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM
my list

Utorrent.exe

notepad.exe

you?

Alpha_toxic
June 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Only µTorrent. I can't see any other app that deserves such honor.

maagimies
June 16th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Morrowind's mod cleaning utility Testool:
I have to use it because although cedega does support directx better then wine, it's base wine code is very outdated, and doesn't work with Testool.

Windows version of Firefox:
this because Macromedia/Adobe hasn't STILL managed to make a linux version of Flash player 8, and many flashes require the newest flash 8. So when I surf with Konqueror, and see a flash I would like to view I just start firefox and paste the address there :D
+ the sound doesn't stutter like with the linux version ;)

I can't remember any else right now.

edit:

w00t, we all know all tr00 haxors use rtorrent with screen, the greatest console torrent client ever ;)

Don't take that one seriously, uTorrent's a great program and it would rock if it would have a linux port :D

PatrickMay16
June 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Whoa, man! Let me tell you. I use wine a lot. Here are a list of things that I regularly run using wine:

1. Super Jukebox (SPC sound file player)
2. Unreal (an old 3D game with no native linux port that I can find)
3. Midisoft studio4 (an old MIDI sequencer that I used to use when I used windows. I still use it with wine because it was kind of nice to play around with)
4. Microsoft sound recorder (Heh! Heh! Heh!)
And other small obscure little programs written for windows which I might come across and want to run.

FISHERMAN
June 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
-IExplorer to check my e-mails from my work(the **** thing doesn't work with Ff or GNU/Linux).
-Shareaza, cause it's the easiest way to connect to the Gnutella2-network(I find a lot of things on it, that I can't find anywhere else)

Kimm
June 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I use it to run the Windows version of Firefox, for the same reason as maagimies.

I also use it to run Ares.

futz
June 17th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Foxit PDF Reader

GarethMB
June 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Guitar Pro 5

Poker Stars

beercz
June 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM
None and proud of it! (Don't use wine :-))

OffHand
June 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I don't use Wine. Why use Notepad when you have Leafpad?

sudo apt-get install leafpad

Phlosten
June 17th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I don't use Wine for anything atm. The closest I came lately was Picasa and it's bundled version but that got blown away pretty quickly. I did try and get the PICAXE programming software working in it without much success. I now have an old K6-2 that has win98 purely for that job.

bof
June 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Does anyone run Dreamweaver MX in Wine?

bof
June 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I don't use Wine for anything atm. The closest I came lately was Picasa and it's bundled version but that got blown away pretty quickly

Google now have a Linux version of Picasa http://picasa.google.com/linux/

disturbed1
June 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
avs2yuv to pipe avisynth scripts to ffmpeg2theora, still CLI though.

wine avs2yuv.exe video.avs -o - | ./theora -f yuv4mpegpipe --aspect 16:9 -v 7 --optimize -S 0 --inputfps 23.976 - -o out.ogg
I was running Newsbin Pro through wine, but the latest cvs commits of Pan have vastly improved, and can now handle groups with more than 5,000,000 headers without hard locking the machine.

My girlfriend runs Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and some other Tycoon game through wine on her machines.

Dakaru
June 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I don't use Wine.

I try to stick to pure Linux apps.

cbudden
June 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I use Picasa from Google, Internet explorer for a couple of features on my internet banking and some things that need flash 8 or shockwave.

NESFreak
June 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Google now have a Linux version of Picasa http://picasa.google.com/linux/

THAT isn't a linux version it's wine + an adapted ******* version

ade234uk
June 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Does anyone run Dreamweaver MX in Wine?

Why dont you pop along to www.codeweavers.com and download a trial version of crossover office. You will then be able to install & run Dreamweaver MX. I personally think it runs as well as it did in Windows.

Engnome
June 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Elasto Mania. My absolute favorite <10 mb game of all time.

eriqk
June 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM
So far, only IE6 (spits on floor) to check it's render-errors that force me to use ugly hacks.
Planning to use AudioMulch in the future (and a couple of VSTs, too, I suppose).

Groet, Erik

Onyros
June 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Elasto Mania. My absolute favorite <10 mb game of all time.It's funny, I used to play Elasto Mania some time ago, but I'm not sure... isn't X-Moto pretty much the same?

sudo apt-get install xmoto

Engnome
June 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
It's funny, I used to play Elasto Mania some time ago, but I'm not sure... isn't X-Moto pretty much the same?

sudo apt-get install xmoto

It look's the same but It's a totally different experience.

The depth in Elasto Mania is not readily apparent; it takes many months for a new player to begin to appreciate the skills required to drive a world record.

rai4shu2
June 17th, 2006, 04:26 PM
VirtualDub, AviSynth, QuickPar.

DoktorSeven
June 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Just two regularly: Picasa (bundled) and UMOD extractor for Unreal Tournament (there used to be a script for Linux that did this, but it disappeared...)

bof
June 17th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Why dont you pop along to www.codeweavers.com and download a trial version of crossover office. You will then be able to install & run Dreamweaver MX. I personally think it runs as well as it did in Windows.

Thanks, I have downloaded crossover as you suggested and installed Dreamweaver MX
It works a treat :)

poofyhairguy
June 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Office 2000. Sometimes. And DVDshrink.

CHUCKYCHUCK
June 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
dvd shrink and warcraft IIII

patrick295767
June 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Microsoft Office
Microcal Origin
Illustrator
Photoshop
Dictionaries
Games PC, directx, cedega/wine ... dosbox 0.65

The only problem is poor wine speed for office applications if you really wanna WORK
That's why for Offices, Windobe is usually choosen ...

grtz

IYY
June 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Some freeware guitar tuner application, and photoshop.

snooze
June 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Dvd Shrink, Worms 4 Mayhem, Duke nukem 3d.
That's about it.

bruce89
June 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know if they plan to make WINE work on AMD64, not really an issue for me, all I use Windows for is X-Plane (I realise there is a Linux version available, but again, it's i386 only), and Simcity 4.