PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you have broadband internet (wired or wireless)?

aysiu
June 16th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm just curious, since Ubuntu heavily relies on online repositories, why some people have either slow connections or no connections to the internet on their Ubuntu computers.

If multiple reasons apply to you, pick the most important reason. Multiple choice polls lead to weird percentages.

clparker
June 16th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah, my roomate tells horror stories of running warty on dial up via a home network AOL proxy. Kid needs a medal for that effort.

aysiu
June 16th, 2006, 06:20 PM
It just occurred to me the people with no internet on Ubuntu would have to use Windows to answer this poll... or they won't see the poll at all.

ubuntu_demon
June 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
It just occurred to me the people with no internet on Ubuntu would have to use Windows to answer this poll... or they won't see the poll at all.
LOL :D

Kernel Sanders
June 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM

After 11,000 posts, you were due a crappy thread tbh :razz: :razz: :razz:

aysiu
June 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not quite at 11,000, but you're right. This thread bombed big time!

Maybe during the sermon, the preacher should ask of all the non-attendees why they weren't at church.

So... no dial-up or no-internet folks hang out at the Ubuntu Cafe, huh? Not surprising.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Oops.

Kvark
June 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
This sounds like the classical speach...
Speaker: "Can everyone hear me now? Please raise your hand if you can't hear me."

aysiu
June 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
The poll results are cracking me up--100% broadband, and it just keeps going...

Excuse me while I smack my forehead.

Naglfari
June 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Actually, I've only had broadband for about 5 months, and it's all thanks to the US Parks Service.

I live right outside Mammoth Cave National Park (da' boonies), and the Park Services wanted broadband, and paid for the gear to get it. A lucky few of us, within 6 miles or so, were allowed to jump on :-$

gray-squirrel
June 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
The poll results are cracking me up--100% broadband, and it just keeps going...

Not anymore. . . hehehehe :D

I would be using broadband sooner, but currently there is a dispute with the local cable company that needs to be settled first (they are charging my relatives for something they are not even using right now). Given how slow things are going, and with FiOS starting to expand in my area (I just found out about this), it appears I'll be using FiOS before the cable company gets its act together.

aysiu
June 16th, 2006, 09:01 PM
gray-squirrel breaks the trend!

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
It seems that you can vote more than once.

aysiu
June 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
It seems that you can vote more than once.
Really? I can't
Voters: 28. You have already voted on this poll

Biltong (Dee)
June 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Nor I.
Sorry - Broadband person here :-)

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I've voted before, but it offers me an option again.

MethodOne
June 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I wanted to get Road Runner (Time Warner Cable) as my ISP, but my family couldn't afford it. My dad thinks that it would cost too much. I found out that my dial-up ISP and the second phone line cost the same as the broadband connection. My family says that we're getting it, but my parents have to pay some other bills first. For now, I'm using my college's connection to download my isos. Using my laptop to download the images is much slower than doing so on the school's systems, due to a 30KBps cap.

aysiu
June 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for sharing, MethodOne. That's what I was actually the kind of situation I was wondering about when I created this poll.

djheadley
June 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
There are 2 reasons I don't have broadband:
1) I live out in the country and can't even get cable TV
2) I couldn't afford it even if I could get it.

I did look into satillite TV and internet but I can't afford either one, let alone both. I hope the developers don't forget about us dial-ups.
:-(

aysiu
June 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I hope the developers don't forget about us dial-ups. Unfortunately, they kind of have--there's only one CD for Ubuntu. You can order a DVD (which has more software) off of Amazon for about US$10.

There is also a community-created add-on CD called UbuntuPlus that CompShrink has been kind enough to create. More details about that here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183933)

BWF89
June 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I have a fast internet connection, but I just wanted to vote anyway

Kindred
June 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I can't get broadband in my area, and even if I could I might not be able to afford it anyway.

It's not really a big deal for me though, I usually do 5gb - 10gb a month on my dialup connection, regularly download isos and have no problems keeping my linux distro constantly up to date. It's just a matter of downloading overnight often and being a little patient.... well okay, very patient.

twisted_steel
June 18th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I have broadband, but my parents aren't so lucky. Their neighborhood can get cable internet ... if they pay the cable company $50,000 to have it connected to their street :!:. Whenever I visit my parents and need to use my laptop, I either use the linuxant drivers to dial out or go through another computer using XP's Internet Connection Sharing.

It also takes forever to download updates - be it in Ubuntu or Windows. Patches and updated programs are definitely not getting smaller :-(.