PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with the least amount of proprietary software

MiXor
May 12th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I am a bit of a hypocrite here because I am using a mac [-X (I had a bit of money, big time constraints, disliked Vista deeply and needed to have a system that just worked. Pretty lame, I know.)

What hardware is easiest for Ubuntu developers to write code? (least amount of proprietary software + maybe other issues I am not aware of, as I am absolutely not an OS developer!)

Looking forward to your answers!

Aline

georgelappies
May 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I am a bit of a hypocrite here because I am using a mac [-X (I had a bit of money, big time constraints, disliked Vista deeply and needed to have a system that just worked. Pretty lame, I know.)

What hardware is easiest for Ubuntu developers to write code? (least amount of proprietary software + maybe other issues I am not aware of, as I am absolutely not an OS developer!)

Looking forward to your answers!

Aline

I am not sure what exactly you are asking here? Hardware is mostly supported directly by the Linux kernel and is not dependant on Ubuntu only.

Paqman
May 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
What hardware is easiest for Ubuntu developers to write code?

I'm voting for keyboard.

MiXor
May 12th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Sorry, sloppy language there due to very fuzzy understanding of how an os works!

So let's rephrase that. I know my graphics card needs proprietary software to be fully functional, I've also read that power managers include proprietary software that allows 6hrs of battery life with mac osX against 3hrs with Ubuntu.(read that in the Apple users subforum)

Some laptops may include more of less hardware that manufacturers have written linux drivers for (Copyrighted? CC?), or on the contrary, components that are tricky to write drivers for (maybe because manufacturers make it so?)

So my question is, which manufacturers make it easy/ok/hard?

Bandit
May 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'm voting for keyboard.

Huh,, I voted for the mouse.. :(

Smilax
May 13th, 2012, 02:04 AM
it's got to be

Loongson-2 MIPS Lemote Yeeloong Netbook (http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong_Netbook)

as voted for (by his wallet) mr stallman

ubuntu27
May 13th, 2012, 02:45 AM
A computer with Intel video card. It does not require proprietary drivers. ;-)

sffvba[e0rt
May 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Installed Trisquel 5.5 on a Samsung N150 Netbook... works brilliantly (but I wouldn't want to use a netbook for development)...

wilee-nilee
May 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Not really answerable, the same laptops and computers can have different hardware at times, and really ubuntu and Linux will run on most, with the drivers in the repos. Here is a wiki that might help.

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

speedwell68
May 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
it's got to be

Loongson-2 MIPS Lemote Yeeloong Netbook (http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong_Netbook)

as voted for (by his wallet) mr stallman

If RMS has got one the it is probably best avoided.:D

Paqman
May 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM
A computer with Intel video card. It does not require proprietary drivers. ;-)

Always a good rule of thumb, I've never had the slightest bit of trouble from Intel kit, be it graphics cards, wifi, etc.

Smilax
May 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
If RMS has got one the it is probably best avoided.:D

well, i did't say it was any good, just least amount of proprietary software,

but, it's not bad, only reason i don't get one is woefull battery life, it's very power efficent, but has a rubbish battery,