PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome 3 Theme Issues After Migration From Ubuntu 12.04

akxiii
May 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I migrated to gnome 3 shell from ubuntu 12.04 64bit, but some parts of the interface are broken.

Primary Issues:

Chrome, and a few other programs uses a windows 95 -esque theme
Intermittently, dragging windows to the side / corners of the screen breaks the window decoration and the gnome 3 bar at the top of the page disappears. I then have to reboot.

I hunted through the forums and it found that I should uninstall accessibility themes, then install gnome standard themes, then gnome extensions and make sure adwaita was selected. So I went through and tried that (and logged out/in) and haven't had any luck.

What is weird is that the theme appears correctly for some apps like nautilus or the desktop.

Threads I've already found and followed:

http://techhamlet.com/2011/05/how-to-install-gnome-3-on-ubuntu-11-04/
http://www.filiwiese.com/installing-gnome-on-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

I've already searched through the forums a few times, and tried following a few threads, but couldn't find them now that I'm posting.

Let me know if screenshots would help.

kohoutek1
May 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Let me know if screenshots would help.

Screenshots would help. The things you are describing don't seem, as you have them here, to be bugs.

Frogs Hair
May 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Make sure all themes are Gnome 3.4 compatible or they won't work properly. There are Gnome Shell 3.4 extensions available also .

akxiii
May 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Attached is a screenshot of the right click menu in chrome.

A few other programs suffer from the same issue.

I can't take a screen shot of the glitch where the window decoration disappears because it hangs the interface and I can't open any new programs through Power Key / alt-f2 etc.

Make sure all themes are Gnome 3.4 compatible or they won't work properly. There are Gnome Shell 3.4 extensions available also .

Adwaita is the default theme. I've installed gnome shell extensions to make sure it is set.

Frogs Hair
May 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM
First try restarting the with Alt + F2 and enter
r I know the shell has difficulty with certain ATI graphics cards so run the following.
lspci Find out what card you have and do some searching.

akxiii
May 13th, 2012, 12:28 AM
First try restarting the with Alt + F2 and enter
r I know the shell has difficulty with certain ATI graphics cards so run the following.
lspci Find out what card you have and do some searching.

Restarting the gui didn't do anything, it's been an on going issue over several log out/ins. Tried it anyway.

I'm using an nvidia graphics card. Latest driver. Though I tried switching to a secondary provided driver to see if it would solve the issue and it was a bust.

kohoutek1
May 13th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Could you send a screenshot of your whole desktop, with an open application that exhibits the behavior you're describing?

Could you also tell us what sort of theme or look you are trying to get?

Theming really is mostly a matter of trial and error, finding the right combination of GTK theme, window theme, and icon theme, that is both integrated as a UI and pleasing to the individual user.