PDA

View Full Version : Elementary mistakes

Ceiber Boy
May 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM
My new SSD arrived this morning to install Ubuntu 12.04 desktop, i made bootable flash drive from the ISO and installed, the installation went flawlessly, upon booting the system for the first time I realised that i selected the server ISO by mistake!
:lolflag:

What has been your elementary mistakes?

georgelappies
May 12th, 2012, 12:46 PM
My new SSD arrived this morning to install Ubuntu 12.04 desktop, i made bootable flash drive from the ISO and installed, the installation went flawlessly, upon booting the system for the first time I realised that i selected the server ISO by mistake!
:lolflag:

What has been your elementary mistakes?

lol, the exact same thing happened to me as well before. It was actually during the testing phase of 12.04. Kind of sucks to see tasksel popup instead of the unity greeter :)

whatthefunk
May 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM
When I was building the pc Im on now, I forgot to plug the CPU into the power supply. I had everything else right, so it started up but all I got was a black screen. I went through my checklist over and over again missing the CPU every time. I thought I had fried the motherboard with static. It took me half an hour or so to realize that the CPU had no power....

P1C0
May 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM
A year ago I wanted to add an extra disk in a OpenBSD machine.
I formatted the OS disk.

Ceiber Boy
May 12th, 2012, 08:09 PM
sorry for the duplicate thread, was posting on an iphone via a 3G connection, to be honest the odds were against me!

Face-Ache
May 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I used Super Boot Manager to create a custom Plymouth screen - but it just wouldn't work! I noticed on one of the tabs it had the option of "Use proprietary drivers" or something to that effect, but also a warning that said "Warning; this could cause a black screen at boot".

I clicked to do it, and then got another warning about it. I proceeded anyway. What happened? I got a black screen at boot!

Being an Ubuntu novice, i couldn't figure out how to fix it. Booted to a USB Ubuntu Install, reformatted the hard drive, and then reinstalled everything from scratch.

Lesson; don't mess with stuff you know nothing about! I haven't downloaded Super Boot Manager this time, and i'm steering clear of messing with Grub. Taking the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" approach now :D

Peripheral Visionary
May 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
My first mistake was trying to guess where this thing goes (see image). Once I finally got it in place, it just all fell apart from there.

Face-Ache
May 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hahaha, that's great. Reminds me of this one;