PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Log Out" option disappeared from gnome-shell after latest update

michaelmestre
May 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
On Pangolin, after performing an update (on 12/May/2012), the "log out" option disappeared from the menu (on which my name appears) at the top-right of the screen.

How can I restore this (quite useful) option ?

Related subject: How can I activate the CTRL+ALT+Backspace shortcut to kill the X session ?

stevedude
May 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Oh man, I sure hope someone can respond with an answer because I can confirm the issue and it is driving me nuts because I use logoff all the time!

I've been searching this Ubuntu Forum and Gnome.Org with no luck in finding a solution.

I can provide a temporary work-around though. Go to https://extensions.gnome.org/ and install the "QuickLaunch" extension.

Create a new launcher (I titled mine "Log Off") and use this in the "Command" portion of your custom launcher (without the quotes): "gnome-session-quit"

Now you will have a new icon on your Gnome-Shell top panel and you can use it to logoff your system. Any launcher you create (.desktop files) will be located under your home folder in /.local/share/gnome-shell/quicklaunch.

I'll be monitoring this post because I would prefer a solution versus a work-around. :-)

layo
May 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I am expiriencing the same thing: no log off button in the 'shutdown and notifications' menu. Also, control+alt+backspace does nothing at all.

michaelmestre
May 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the tip stevedude (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=968808). Very useful :)

stevedude
May 15th, 2012, 12:49 AM
OK, I did finally find something that worked for me. BE WARNED it was a scary process because #1) I wasn't totally confident in what I was doing and #2) This purges then (hopefully) rebuilds your PPAs that you have installed.

I followed the process as outlined here by typing the commands in Terminal: http://askubuntu.com/questions/127843/gnome-shell-3-4-i-cant-change-theme

My process deviated from the outline in that you are told to respond with an "N" (No) at the end of the process asking you to purge the ricotz/testing ppa, however, I was asked to respond to 2 questions for my system installation. I responded with a "Y" (Yes) when asked to remove old packages because pressing "N" kept repeating the same question. I pressed "N" when asked to purge the ricotz/testing ppa as instructed.

After restarting the shell (ALT F2 then "r"), I had my "Log Out" back! Plus I had another extension working called "Places" to access your folders from the top dash.

Screenshot enclosed:

sammiev
May 15th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I'm surprised it did not effect everyone as I have no issues with the log out and I'm fully updated at all times.

alecz20
September 14th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Options, buttons, and features come and go with each Ubuntu release, with some updates, and sometimes with restarts.

That is why it's best to rely on more 'robust' ways of doing things.

To log out From ANY Ubuntu so far press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and choose Log Out.

You might be out of luck if your keyboard stopped working.