PDA

View Full Version : Does this make anyone else uncomfortable?

dogeatery
June 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5084870.stm

OffHand
June 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
My computer isn't connected to my television so no.
And I would never allow google to do this.

grsing
June 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM
My computer also isn't connected to the TV I don't own. But if I did actually watch TV regularly, and this could somehow make the ads relevant instead of for things I'd never buy, it might be handy. I still probably wouldn't buy anything advertised (at least not because it was advertised), but I'd rather here about stuff related to my interests than minivan commercials or ads for credit cards.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I know, how would this work, as most TV's are not connected to the computer (yet).

Virogenesis
June 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I don't actually mind the idea as it might get rid of those fast food ads and insurance ads....

prizrak
June 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Digital cable boxes monitor what you are watching anyway for the ratings and such. I would rather deal with targeted advertisements than random ones to tell you the truth. At the very least I could be interested in what they have to show. For instance if I'm watching Formula 1 and get an ad for Bilstein shocks I might be interested if it's another Visa commercial I might run someone over with my car.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I don't actually mind the idea as it might get rid of those fast food ads and insurance ads....
Imagine though, they would all be Microsoft FUD ads instead. ("We are making or software more secure..." with the lovely happy people, and soft music. etc.)

Digital cable boxes monitor what you are watching anyway for the ratings and such. I would rather deal with targeted advertisements than random ones to tell you the truth. At the very least I could be interested in what they have to show. For instance if I'm watching Formula 1 and get an ad for Bilstein shocks I might be interested if it's another Visa commercial I might run someone over with my car.
I assume that is TiVo, Freeview in Britain is one-way.
Actually I just realised that Ubuntu monitors what people install - package "popularity-contest" explains.

patwack
June 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
it says in there that the computer doesn't have to be connected to the tv, the program listens to the ambient sound in the room, so it doesn't have to be connected

Kernel Sanders
June 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Does it make me uncomfortable? Actually........ no. I'm still naive enough to trust Google i'm afraid.

In short....... Google is my master now! :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

prizrak
June 17th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Imagine though, they would all be Microsoft FUD ads instead. ("We are making or software more secure..." with the lovely happy people, and soft music. etc.)

I assume that is TiVo, Freeview in Britain is one-way.
Actually I just realised that Ubuntu monitors what people install - package "popularity-contest" explains.
I'm not talking about TiVo or any other DVR device. I mean the regular set top box that you get from your cable company. If the cable is digital (as it is in most places now) it is trivial to monitor what people are watching and chances are they are doing it just for ratings. It might not be extremely specific but they more than likely monitor that.

graigsmith
June 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Yeah, i don't trust google enough to give them a live wiretap into my living room lol. Besides, i don't even watch tv. it's boring, and i refuse to pay for cable, unless i can buy ONLY 1-2 channels that normally come as a package from "basic" cable.

i would buy a channel that i could watch startrek on, and also the commedy network, and probably the cartoon network. those are probably the only channels i would ever watch. why should i buy 30-40 channels when i would only watch 1 mabey 2 of them.

skull_leader
June 17th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Google made me uncomfortable as it stands. Try googling "google is scary."

The more stuff it does, the more scared I get.

ade234uk
June 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I use my computer to do my work, and my television to watch well television. I dont want to ever have them combined. Even if they do I wont be sucked in. I dont want adverts targeted at me either, its an invasion of my privacy, and I do not want to read my emails on my TV either.

PC/TV in the living room is a stupid idea and the sooner we forget about it the better.

I also dont want a F**king fridge either that re-orders my shopping for me, I have legs for this and a brain. Yes exercise lol. GRRRR it winds me up.

Phlosten
June 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM
err very uncomfortable.

Kvark
June 17th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Amazing that many people in here wouldn't mind it at all if Google heard everything that happens in their homes. :confused:

Ok, maybe it's no big deal if Google knows what TV programs you watch. The scary part is IMO that you have no proof that thats the only thing they use the audio feed for. They could do anything with the info about you and you wouldn't know.

prizrak
June 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Amazing that many people in here wouldn't mind it at all if Google heard everything that happens in their homes. :confused:

Ok, maybe it's no big deal if Google knows what TV programs you watch. The scary part is IMO that you have no proof that thats the only thing they use the audio feed for. They could do anything with the info about you and you wouldn't know.
The goverment can eavesdrop on you at any time using your phone (welcome to the digital world) with the reciever "hung up" they also have no need to put physical devices in anymore everything is done centrally at the company office. Basically if someone wants to snoop on you they can do it whenever they want to and unanounced, at least Google tells you they are doing it :)