PDA

View Full Version : Why is Brasero so awful

pt123
May 12th, 2012, 01:32 AM
It burns coasters in 12.04, it can't burn at a specific speed. It is awful in calculating the amount of available space left, drove my parents nuts.

Just look at software center it has a rating of 2 stars. While KDE's K3B has 4.5 starts and XFce's XFburn has 4 stars. Gnome have a habit creating half functional products.
It's pity installing K3B requires installing all the KDE libraries, and XFburn requires XFce libraries.

The other alternatives are Gnome Baker which hasn't been worked on since 2008.

Has anyone tried to fork K3B to Gnome? I know there 100s of music players, are there any alternatives burning apps for Gnome.

neu5eeCh
May 12th, 2012, 01:39 AM
It burns coasters in 12.04, it can't burn at a specific speed. It is awful in calculating the amount of available space left, drove my parents nuts.

Just look at software center it has a rating of 2 stars. While KDE's K3B has 4.5 starts and XFce's XFburn has 4 stars. Gnome have a habit creating half functional products.
It's pity installing K3B requires installing all the KDE libraries, and XFburn requires XFce libraries.

The other alternatives are Gnome Baker which hasn't been worked on since 2008.

Has anyone tried to fork K3B to Gnome? I know there 100s of music players, are there any alternatives burning apps for Gnome.

Yes, I bought NERO 4 for Linux. Love it. It's very inexpensive, works beautifully, and I'm happy to support a company willing to bring a good product to Linux. But that's just me.

pt123
May 12th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Yes, I bought NERO 4 for Linux. Love it. It's very inexpensive, works beautifully, and I'm happy to support a company willing to bring a good product to Linux. But that's just me.

Thanks to the availability of cheap external hard disks, I don't burn that often ( once every 4 months) to spend that much ($80) on it. But I do respect Nero.

pt123
May 12th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Here is that bug considering how many people are affected by it makes me more furious.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero/+bug/780117

This is another reason why Ubuntu will continue to fail in the desktop market. While they spend most of their resources on prettiness, basic functionality is forgotten.

Bandit
May 12th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Dont know whats wrong. It used to be a good disc burner. It worked good burning on Fedora. Guess best bet is to install K3b. K3b is the best burning software ever anyway.

wolfen69
May 12th, 2012, 03:37 AM
It's a pity installing K3B requires installing all the KDE libraries, and XFburn requires XFce libraries.

Why is that a pity? Installing them has absolutely no effect on performance. The only reason anyone should be concerned is if they were extremely low on disc space. Just use K3B and be done with it. :)

Here is that bug considering how many people are affected by it makes me more furious.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero/+bug/780117

Why would that make you furious? There are more important things in life to be furious over. Cancer, taxes, government, etc. Relax and let people figure it out.

best bet is to install K3b. K3b is the best burning software ever anyway.
Exactly.

pt123
May 12th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Why is that a pity? Installing them has absolutely no effect on performance.

It installs way too much just for one app I use occasionally.

cdparanoia cdrdao docbook-xsl icoutils k3b k3b-data kate-data katepart
kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
kdoctools kubuntu-debug-installer libattica0.3 libclucene0ldbl
libdlrestrictions1 libencode-locale-perl libfile-listing-perl libflac++6
libfont-afm-perl libhtml-form-perl libhtml-format-perl libhtml-parser-perl
libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libhttp-cookies-perl
libhttp-daemon-perl libhttp-date-perl libhttp-message-perl
libhttp-negotiate-perl libilmbase6 libio-socket-inet6-perl
libio-socket-ssl-perl libk3b6 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcddb4 libkcmutils4
libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5
libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4
libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff3-4
libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4
libktexteditor4 liblwp-mediatypes-perl liblwp-protocol-https-perl
libmailtools-perl libnepomuk4 libnepomukdatamanagement4 libnepomukquery4a
libnepomuksync4 libnepomukutils4 libnet-http-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libopenexr6 libphonon4 libplasma3
libpolkit-qt-1-1 libqapt-runtime libqapt1 libqca2 libqt4-qt3support
libsocket6-perl libsolid4 libsoprano4 libssh-4 libstreamanalyzer0
libstreams0 libthreadweaver4 libtimedate-perl liburi-perl libvirtodbc0
libwww-perl libwww-robotrules-perl libxml2-utils libxss1
ntrack-module-libnl-0 oxygen-icon-theme phonon phonon-backend-gstreamer
plasma-scriptengine-javascript qapt-batch shared-desktop-ontologies
soprano-daemon virtuoso-minimal virtuoso-opensource-6.1-bin
virtuoso-opensource-6.1-common
0 upgraded, 106 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 54.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 169 MB of additional disk space will be used.

It installs way too many frameworks that will be running in the background. It will also affect updates etc.

Why would that make you furious? There are more important things in life to be furious over. Cancer, taxes, government, etc.
WTH I am on this forum to discuss matters about Ubuntu, so why go all zen.

wolfen69
May 12th, 2012, 04:53 AM
so why go all zen.

I didn't realize that was a bad thing. This is the community cafe, where almost anything can be expressed within the rules.

And btw, after years of installing "invasive" kde libraries, I've never had a problem having less than 200 mb of kde libs. Heck, kde users have 100% kde libs and don't have any problems. You make it seem like a cancer. "The purity of my install is ruined!"

I'll never understand why people freak out because they need to install another de's libs. OH MY GAWD! Anything but that!
):P

And guess what? Most of those imposing kde libs you posted are just a few kb each. In fact, you only need 54mb total. :rolleyes:

Bandit
May 12th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I'll never understand why people freak out because they need to install another de's libs. OH MY GAWD! Anything but that!
):P

And guess what? Most of those imposing kde libs you posted are just a few kb each. In fact, you only need 54mb total. :rolleyes:

When I started using Linux you got every lib from every desktop or windowmanager all installed at one time for the user to figure out what he/she likes. Thats LDM, WM, XWM, GNOME, KDE, Enlightenment and few others that sure slipped my mind.

I used mostly GTK apps like GIMP, but somethings like KPPP were just so easy for dialup.

But yea, unless there is a diskspace issue.. Screw It!! Install them all!!

wolfen69
May 12th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Screw It!! Install them all!!

I like your attitude. People worry too much about bull&$#@.

craig10x
May 12th, 2012, 06:21 AM
K3b burner is the ONLY KDE program i have installed (because Brasero these days "sucks" and K3b is awesome and works great...and i never gave that aspect a second thought (about the small package of kde dependencies that it brings in)....I have a 500 gb hard drive...why would i be worried about the small amount of space it takes...

And i don't see any performance downgrade from having them...what's the big deal, really?

wolfen69
May 12th, 2012, 06:33 AM
And i don't see any performance downgrade from having them...what's the big deal, really?

I guess that people feel violated by K libs being installed. If there was a picture of a facepalm big enough to relay how I feel, I'd do it. Bandit? (help me out)

Obviously some people are ignorant. Long time users know better. There's some really nice K apps out there.

woxuxow
May 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM
it`s the worst program i`ve ever saw
even worse than any windows application

wolfen69
May 12th, 2012, 07:02 AM
it`s the worst program i`ve ever saw
even worse than any windows application
brasero? I've used it no problem. Want me to list the # of windows things that have gone wrong? I didn't think so.

I have a tip for you. If there's an app you don't like, don't use it. Same with any other pc.

Guess what? I happen to think K3B is the best I've used. That's my experience, what's wrong with that?

carl4926
May 12th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Install k3b and be done with it

I actually know some have used imageburn in wine, apparently it's awesome

zombifier25
May 12th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Install k3b and be done with it

I actually know some have used imageburn in wine, apparently it's awesome

Windows system applications in Wine possible? Totally did not see that coming.

BigSilly
May 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Like everyone says, install K3b. I always make it among my first programs I install on a fresh Ubuntu, as simply put it's the best. KDE libraries don't make any difference to the system performance, and it's well worth it for such an awesome program. :)

cecilpierce
May 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I just DL a free version of NERO but haven't tried it yet, looks neat :)

sffvba[e0rt
May 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I don't really burn much to CD/DVD except the odd ISO of Linux and I have never had issues with Brasero...

Morbius1
May 12th, 2012, 12:28 PM
What VTPoet said.

Reliable, predictable, cheap, coaster free.

houseworkshy
May 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I've had problems with brassero to so just use disc creator, which I think was in the default install anyway ( 10.04lts ), can't swear to that. Bung in the blank media then close the automatically opening box ... well I don't now as I told it not to open on detecting blank disks years ago. Then right click on the file in question, choose "write to disk", use the properties tab to choose burn speed, open or closed, ect and set it off. It works a treat. Been on a distro binge recently and must be dozens without fails. Still use the simulator first anyway.

neu5eeCh
May 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks to the availability of cheap external hard disks, I don't burn that often ( once every 4 months) to spend that much ($80) on it. But I do respect Nero.

I was going to point out that NERO 4 was only $25; and I was also going to give you a link, but it looks like Nero has stopped offering their Linux version -- a shame. It was a great piece of software - much slimmed down compared to their windows offering.

Edit: For anyone else still interested this link (http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-linux4-update.php), to NERO, still appears to work for the Linux version.

zer010
May 12th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I used to have issue with Brasero and other burn programs when blanking discs. I've since learned that I can just burn to a used RW disc and Brasero asks to blank it first, which it does and then it burns what I want. Insofar, I've yet to have any more coaster issues. K3B is okay, but not my favorite. Xburn is fine, but can fail to burn at times. GnomeBaker is pretty good, but can still be a little wonky sometimes. Never bought Nero, but I've tried it and it's just as good as it's Win counterpart.
In a nutshell, I'm not really partial to any of the programs as I rarely need them. When I do, I use the default and if that fails, I use others....

Morbius1
May 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I was going to point out that NERO 4 was only $25; and I was also going to give you a link, but it looks like Nero has stopped offering their Linux version -- a shame. It was a great piece of software - much slimmed down compared to their windows offering.

Edit: For anyone else still interested this link (http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-linux4-update.php), to NERO, still appears to work for the Linux version.
That's a shame. It still works in 12.04 ( at least in Xubuntu 12.04 ) so I'm grateful for that.

zer010
May 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Then again, one could always just use growisofs.
http://linux.die.net/man/1/growisofs

Bandit
May 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I guess that people feel violated by K libs being installed. If there was a picture of a facepalm big enough to relay how I feel, I'd do it. Bandit? (help me out)

Obviously some people are ignorant. Long time users know better. There's some really nice K apps out there.

Agreed. I was a sleep.. hehe

Here this should work!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x1B-v1Lyd74/TijdA11DSyI/AAAAAAAABKs/c0RMoL6g8Ek/s200/ChuckNorrisApproved-200px-Blue.png

mips
May 12th, 2012, 09:13 PM
For a foss solution K3B rocks!

I have Nero Linux & XFBurn installed though.

Artemis3
May 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Back when i used gnome, i used gnomebaker. Now that i use xfce, i use Xfburn.

It seemed to me brasero used the drive more directly, not as a simple frontend for cdrecord/wodim/etc. This was good and bad at the same time, seemed fine when cdrecord didn't like your drive, bad when you had another problem with the drive for whatever reason; then the drive would remain unusable until reboot.

I also had the experience of k3b totally ruining brasero (and the other way around), it seemed to conflict with some kde libs trying to use the drive at the same time as brasero, leaving it in an unusable state, or coaster factory (Nautilus messing didn't help either).

From this experience i stick to a single burning solution, and preferably remove the others, i would specially uninstall brasero.

BTW: you have to remember when installing packages, "recommended" packages are assumed as dependencies. That can be changed for apt and synaptic, no idea about software center. So that long list of k3b dependencies can probably be reduced a little.

With apt, all you need is an /etc/apt/apt.conf with the option:
APT::Install-Recommends "0"; or use the option: --no-install-recommends (ie: sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends k3b).

But these days i rarely burn discs anymore, seems the technology will last even less than floppies, made obsolete by usb sticks and sd cards.

Long term backup storage remains the puzzle, off line HDs? Mass pile of SD cards? (SDXC is coming with 64g sizes now...)

scouser73
May 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I've just removed Brasero and installed K3b after having read the responses from users on the Software Centre, it's an excellent piece of software and very fast...and now my disc has been burnt and the tray has popped out. Job done.

pt123
May 16th, 2012, 03:06 AM
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends k3b
Thanks that cut it from 106 packages to 58 packages

cdparanoia cdrdao k3b k3b-data kate-data katepart kde-runtime
kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools
libattica0.3 libk3b6 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcddb4 libkcmutils4
libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5
libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4
libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff3-4
libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4
libktexteditor4 libnepomuk4 libnepomukdatamanagement4 libnepomukquery4a
libnepomuksync4 libnepomukutils4 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libplasma3
libpolkit-qt-1-1 libqca2 libqt4-qt3support libsolid4 libsoprano4
libthreadweaver4 ntrack-module-libnl-0 oxygen-icon-theme
plasma-scriptengine-javascript shared-desktop-ontologies soprano-daemon

Swagman
May 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I've never had a problem with Brasero.

Ok, it sometimes gives an error message on completion about ejection not possible or some-such but it's burnt the disk correctly and you don't have to do a Masonic handshake to get normalise to work, unlike K3B.

Don't get me wrong, K3B IS awesome it's just they buggered up normalise.

Why do I need normalise in this day & age ?

Well, our trucks still use standard cd players (no mp3), How quaint !!
So I have to burn eleventy million cd's to play in my truck.

[edit]

Off topic but has anyone noticed how easily home built cd discs knacker these days ? I keep mine in a proper cd spindle but they still scratch ?

BrokenKingpin
May 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have never found Brasero to be all that good. It is a nice looking app, but it seems to be broken in almost every release for me. Ubuntu should really consider changing it as the default, or at least ensure it is not broken on release.

XFburn has always worked for me and will pull in less dependencies than K3b.

SlackerD
May 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM
When I started using Linux you got every lib from every desktop or windowmanager all installed at one time for the user to figure out what he/she likes. Thats LDM, WM, XWM, GNOME, KDE, Enlightenment and few others that sure slipped my mind.

I used mostly GTK apps like GIMP, but somethings like KPPP were just so easy for dialup.

But yea, unless there is a diskspace issue.. Screw It!! Install them all!!

http://k3b.org/

If you look at the requirements page, it doesn't need that many dependencies.

KDE >= 3.2 - KDE is the great window manager, the powerful desktop, the very powerful c++ library K3b is based on, and a lot of programs.
QT >= 3.2 KDE 3.2 requires the QT library version 3.2, a cross-platform GUI development toolkit. Since K3b is a threaded application QT needs to be compiled with threading support enabled.
cdrecord/mkisofs - Cdrecord creates home-burned CDs with a CD-R/CD-RW recorder.
dvd+rw-tools - The DVD+RW-Tools are used to burn and format DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) media. To enable all K3b DVD burning features version >= 7.0 is required.

And granted, the requirements page is a bit dated. It displays the requirements for k3b 1.0.

|{urse
May 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Brasero gets replaced on all my systems shortly after install. It never seems to work correctly.

leclerc65
May 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I hate Windows, but Unetbootin and Image Burn are two programs that I can't miss. So instead of upgrading computers, I keep all the junks to do specialized jobs.:P