PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi not recognizing wireless adapter

carlito95
May 11th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I just finished installing ubuntu with wubi, and I went to install the drivers, but then realized that I had no internet connection (it wasn't recognizing the wireless adapter). I searched for about an hour and couldn't find anything that related to this problem. Any solutions?

jadtech
May 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM
have you looked in system settings additional drivers many times you will find a driver for video and wireless there for your hardware ready to install ..

wilee-nilee
May 12th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Post the actual device.

carlito95
May 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Post the actual device.

its a Netgear N300

carlito95
May 12th, 2012, 03:43 AM
have you looked in system settings additional drivers many times you will find a driver for video and wireless there for your hardware ready to install ..

I have, but the wireless adapter isn't listed and it won't let me download the ones listed because I don't have an internet access because the wireless adapter isn't getting recognized.

jadtech
May 12th, 2012, 03:52 AM
you might have installed wubi to avoid having to make a live cd , how ever I am thinking to resolve this that could be the answer here because you could simply uninstall and reinstall there is a 80% chance you will get the same results..

if you can down load ISO and burn that and boot from it if there is a good chance the wireless will work on the live cd if that is the case then you can for sure get the drive for your wubi how ever at that point you might want to decide to just install ubuntu on its own partition either way from Live cd you will know and see if ubuntu will run on your computer out of the box and see just what tweaks will be needed ..

keep in mind a wubi install is not exsactly ubuntu out of the box you are installing it as a windows program so you are also at the mercy of any issue and quirks your computer has with windows ..

its all an adventure you are out to try and learn something new or not right :)

i recomend burning the ISO to a dvd or USB flash drive the image is a bit bigger then a CD sould be and 8 out of 10 times will not work ..

wilee-nilee
May 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM
its a Netgear N300

With a look at the web I see lots of tries but nobody claiming to get it to work, it is a broadcom, can't really claim it wont work really though.

If it was me I would get a usb modem that just plugs and works their pretty cheap, if you have the money.

Here is a wiki that names ones that do work, I'm sure it is missing others that do as well.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

jadtech
May 12th, 2012, 04:04 AM
this new HP has a broadcom wireless card and is working fine , it didnt work the best untill I install the additional driver but the barebone live cd did log on line though very weak signal ..

carlito95
May 12th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll put my laziness aside and burn a fresh iso.

jadtech
May 12th, 2012, 04:30 AM
you could take the easy route out and see if your connection works hard wired from your router most likely will use it that way or try to down load and install working wireless driver and get it working ..

though not the most instant way I like wilee-nilee's solution too it may not be instant right now but if you buy hardware that is suported you end up with solid system ..