PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] compiz on kubuntu anyone?

boddhisatva
May 11th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I've been looking forward to 12.04 and KDE 4.8 as I've heard that compiz was going to work fine with it. After the upgrade, it doesn't seem to. It does start, but the desktop behaves oddly and not everything quite works. I can't get back my experience from comnpiz-powered Ubuntu (I've switched to KDE because of the hopeless configurability of Gnome3). I wonder if anyone got Kubuntu 12.04 to work with Compiz.

By the way, KWin, even with all of its effects enabled, is NOT a satisfactory replacement for Compiz. It doesn't support mouse shortcuts for window manipulation (mouse buttons for minimizing, scaling, moving), desktop zoom doesn't support mouse wheel (the fast and convenient Meta+wheel), there's no screenshot option (meta+LMB in Compiz, extremely useful), plus a whole host of wonderful options. So if I could get Compiz back, I would be thrilled.

MadHatter93
May 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm about to set up compiz on my fresh kubuntu install, and see if I can get it to work, I'll let you know how I fare.

Also, KWin does have a screenshot option, [PrtSc] brings up a dialog where you can either make do with the screen it just capped or customize your selection.

BigCityCat
May 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Kwin is better imho.Do you have compiz-kde installed? Also when you goto default programs and set default window manager. There should be a drop down list. Did you try both? I know one works and not the other but I cant remember which.