PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I install a *.tar.gz file in Ubuntu 12.04 64-bits?

ricardo072
May 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Hi All,

I'm not an Ubuntu guru,.. so, could you please tell me how can I install eclipse classic (eclipse-SDK-3.7.2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz) from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ ??

As you may guess, my OS is Ubuntu 12.04 64-bits.

Best regards.
Thanks a lot.

ricardo072
May 11th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I think, I can do the following:

- gunzip (to unzip the file)
- tar -xvf <filename>
- do I need something else?

Pls, I need confirmation from the rest of the Gurus here if this is the best way to do this..

:guitar:

Thanks a lot,
Best regards.

Slim Odds
May 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I think, I can do the following:

- gunzip (to unzip the file)
- tar -xvf <filename>
- do I need something else?

Pls, I need confirmation from the rest of the Gurus here if this is the best way to do this..

:guitar:

Thanks a lot,
Best regards.
A ".tar.gz" file is just like a ZIP file. It can contain anything. You have to know what's in it to know what to do with it.

Enigmapond
May 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Does it need to be compiled or does it have an installer for Linux?

ricardo072
May 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM
For this case, it is "eclipse-SDK-3.7.2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz" and I'm not familiar with the content on linux.. I do not know what this file contains,... will Eclipse be portable (as the same is currently for Windows)?

I'm not using ubuntu right now..

morrie
July 11th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I know from experience that you can just extract the Eclipse build into a folder and run the "Eclipse" program. (It really is that easy). Just make sure you have proper access to that location, as the program will need access to all the build files.

cecilieaux
November 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I have the same newbie problem: a *.tar.gz stops me dead in my tracks.

In this particular moment, I downloaded Open Office from Apache (been using the Windows version and it seems to work faster and lighter than Libre).

I opened it up in the archive manager and there doesn't seem to be an obvious install starting point, just a bunch of .deb files.

Help ... anyone!

snowpine
November 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have the same newbie problem: a *.tar.gz stops me dead in my tracks.

In this particular moment, I downloaded Open Office from Apache (been using the Windows version and it seems to work faster and lighter than Libre).

I opened it up in the archive manager and there doesn't seem to be an obvious install starting point, just a bunch of .deb files.

Help ... anyone!

You can install a .deb file with:

sudo dpkg -i whatever.deb

HOWEVER, in Linux we do not typically install software "the Windows way" by downloading installers from the web. Libreoffice is installed by default in Ubuntu and is really 100% the same as Openoffice (compiled from the same code).

cecilieaux
November 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I was in the same quandary and just found a web page devoted to just this topic:

http://www.geeksite.in/how-tos/linux/ubuntu-how-tos/how-to-install-openoffice-org-3-3-on-ubuntu-12-04-11-10-11-04.html

Hope this helps the next person.

cecilieaux
November 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Snowpine. I didn't expect an answer so quickly.

LatinHacker
April 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM
What if it is not a deb?