PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't install onto HP Pavillion DV6000 notebook

Geezer60
May 11th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I first attempted to Upgrade to 12.04 32 bit from 11.10 from the upgrade manager. It immediately told me to insert the 12.04 disk, which of course i didn't have since I was ugrading. So I downloaded and created the disk. Tried upgrading again. This time it told me it couldn't down the necessary files. So I figured I'd do a clean install. After going through the entire process, I got the unbuntu screen but no menus, no unity, no way to do anything. After several reboots with no change, I created a flash drive, had exactly the same results. I just finished reinstalling 11.10 and all my data. Not very impressive so far. I see a lot of other problems with 12.04 in the forums so I have to assume that some of you have actually seen it run. Lucky you.

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 05:34 AM
??? you tried to do the upgrade online from the upgrade manager and it asked you to insert the Cd are talking about ubuntu ???

you are not describing an online upgrade at all first its software manager not upgrade manager , when a distro up grade is available a button shows up at the top when you click it you have to type in your password then files start uploading from the server about 4,000 of them or so it seems any how and then after about 2 hours these files start to de package install and configure then clean up takes about another hour and a half or more there is no request for a cd or disk what so ever ..

if you are luck if your power and internet connection holds out the whole time in the end it requests you reboot and if all went well you see your newly upgraded OS ..

at least this is how every upgrade I have ever done and anyone else I have seen here up till this point ..

the whole Idea of online updates and upgrades is no need for burning the Image to DVD or boolable USB, I will sahy it is more thena good Idesa to have a known working live CD for problems that can happen ..

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 05:50 AM
i have 12.4 installed on this HP no problem popped the dvd I made in the drive booted it manually partitioned while in live boot and clicked install button from ther it booted to desk top and been running it since ..

Geezer60
May 11th, 2012, 05:58 AM
yes, you read it right. It surprised me too. As I wrote, I didn't have a 12.4 disk because I didn't expect i needed one. Way too many very strange things happened with this. And I've been using ubuntu and upgrading on various computers since 9.04. Many strange things happened. Makes me afraid to try it on my desktop now.

Geezer60
May 11th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Oh and also we're both wrong. It's update manager, not upgrade or software manager. :)

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 06:04 AM
as far as I am aware the upgrade dont ask for a disk not at all so what ever that is I have no Idea shrug ..

not sure how much memory that lap top has it could be to your advantage if it runs windows to get gparted and make a swap partition to help out the Live cd boot ..

its software updater to be technical as I pull down the menu here to be sure :)

any how I noticed that you made a point of 32bit 12.4 is what you have , I know thats an old HP then the one I have here I brought home last weekend and installed ubuntu on nearly out of the box..

if that is a 32 bit machine keep in mind the processor has to support pae as of this version if the procesor is older you may have to install lubuntu I beleve they say wil still work ,,

Saewulf
May 12th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I had the same exact 12.04 problem on my Pavillion DV6000 but installing from a 64bit desktop ISO disk I had downloaded. From the initial post in the thread: "After going through the entire process, I got the unbuntu screen but no menus, no unity, no way to do anything."

I should note that I had been running 10.04 since April 2010 on an 80Gb SSD. With user data files backed up I indicated to the installer on the ISO disk to use the entire 80Gb for a new install. There was no indication that anything was wrong until I booted from the new 12.04 install and it seemed to several minutes to get to a desktop, which as the creater of this thread indicated, had nothing on it and not way to do anything. I was surprised because 10.04 had been the most seamless installation I'd ever done. I'm sure I've done something silly but right off hand I can't see it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Geezer60
May 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I just started this to provide info. Since this seems to be a shoulder shrugger, I've reinstalled 11.10 and will stick with it for whatever life remains in this old laptop. When I feel the need for adventure, I might try installing 12.4 on my desktop. Thanks guys.

commandojay1
July 15th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I understand this has been marked as solved, but the solution seems to be to re-install everything. I just went from 11.04 to 12.04 with the same issue. Boots up and shows only the desktop background image and something like an invisible bar at the top.
I'll keep searching, but just in case can someone point directly to an ongoing post that is dealing with this issue?

I have a DV6000, to be specific, a DV6104CA.

commandojay1
July 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Well I solved the issue, at least for me fairly quickly. Once the blank desktop is up, press CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the log off screen. There are other ways to get to the login screen which you can look up. Once the login screen is there, press the Ubuntu button above the password window. Make sure it is for your login and not for the guest user. Select Unity 2D instead of Unity. Then login. Everything works at that point and allows you to see if there is better drivers for your system.