PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Theme Feedback

Pages : [1] 2 3

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I finally figured out how to do themeing in vB3 and have made a forums theme that matches the Ubuntu branding. We will still be upgrading to vB4 soon, but we have something people can start playing with.

Just select Ubuntu from the lower left hand side.

Sorry for being lame and slow on this,
T-V

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Starting to look good, and your hard work is very appreciated. Just one thing though and I know its very Beta but the contrast is a bit harsh.

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 04:41 AM
The contrast is a lot better in Chrome compared to Firefox

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 04:47 AM
See what I can do.

T-V

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 05:07 AM
It is only available on Bilberry not Lingonberry

catlover2
May 11th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Looks good so far although I agree that a little more contrast would be nice. Using Firefox 12.

lisati
May 11th, 2012, 05:19 AM
It is only available on Bilberry not Lingonberry

I'd noticed that on the drop-down list too, but otherwise I like what I'm seeing so far.

mehaga
May 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM

sffvba[e0rt
May 11th, 2012, 05:32 AM

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I just checked it on my iPad using Dolphin browser and it looks awesome.

Irihapeti
May 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Pretty good

Face-Ache
May 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Yeah, that's crisp - very elegant looking.

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Previewing it in Fx12.
Its bright, way to bright for my taste. Other then my eyes burning it looks good.

papibe
May 11th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Very nice.

I share the assessment about being a little too bright. Also, font is like a couple of sizes smaller, making it a little difficult to read.

Just my thoughts.

Kind Regards.

QIII
May 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Much more in line with Ubuntu branding.

Maybe a hair too harsh, but the ubuntu.com page is too, IMO.

The top menu area has always struck me as a bit (for want of a better word) disorganized. There's a lot of stuff just up at the top of the page. Useful stuff, all, but maybe cluttered.

Please take that as a constructive critcism and not a dig. I know you are working hard on this and I am impressed.

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Is it brighter that Ubuntu.com or askubuntu?

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Header looks wrong. I hate CSS.

T-V

papibe
May 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Is it brighter that Ubuntu.com or askubuntu?

Their font is bigger, so you see more black (or dark grey) :D

Regards.

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 06:32 AM
No problem. The forums will be different at the top after the upgrade. Thanks of the feedback.

Mike

Much more in line with Ubuntu branding.

Maybe a hair too harsh, but the ubuntu.com page is too, IMO.

The top menu area has always struck me as a bit (for want of a better word) disorganized. There's a lot of stuff just up at the top of the page. Useful stuff, all, but maybe cluttered.

Please take that as a constructive critcism and not a dig. I know you are working hard on this and I am impressed.

ELD
May 11th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Any idea when the VB4 forum will be up?

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Looks very nice to me, and it's easy on my eyes :)

ELD
May 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Looks very nice to me, and it's easy on my eyes :)

Really? It's very harsh on my eyes, very bright!!

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Really? It's very harsh on my eyes, very bright!!

Perhaps the orange could be toned down just a little bit, but hopefully not too much :)

KiwiNZ
The contrast is brighter in Firefox compared to Chrome or Dolphin or Safari.

s.fox
TV the moderators have gone orange, can they be reverted back to red please?

Thankfully I still have my pink user title ;)

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM

I am not seeing any colour change for the Staff except one staff members shocking pink:P

sffvba[e0rt
May 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I too see mods coming up in Orange... I like it :D

s.fox
May 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I am not seeing any colour change for the Staff except one staff members shocking pink:P

http://i.imgur.com/HbJYV.png

^ Orange name :)

I wonder who is using a pink title...

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM

I come up smelling of roses.

lisati
May 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM

So I'm not imagining things! :D

s.fox
May 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I come up smelling of roses.

Do you have a picture? You are using the new theme right? Haha

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
OK who put the white powder in the staff coffee?

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Do you have a picture? You are using the new theme right? Haha

The themes are on the left :P

sffvba[e0rt
May 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I am now confused :confused:

Uncle Spellbinder
May 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I think it looks fantastic! It looks great on my 1920x180 24" monitor. Not too bright at all for me.

Excellent work!

KiwiNZ
My work is done :P:P:P:P:P

lisati
OK who put the white powder in the staff coffee?

The saccharin?

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
The contrast is brighter in Firefox compared to Chrome or Dolphin or Safari.

That may be the problem but I don't see a huge difference between the Ubuntu home page and this new forum theme in Firefox:

wojox
May 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Awesome. :popcorn:

PaulW2U
May 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Also, font is like a couple of sizes smaller, making it a little difficult to read.

Yes, the main text of each post needs to be a little larger.

s.fox
May 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hmm, still not listed on lingonberry...

drmrgd
May 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Looks pretty good! The only thing I noticed that's a little annoying is that (for me on Google-Chrome anyway) the current page one is viewing is not longer bold if you look at page numbers at the bottom. So, it's a bit hard to tell which page one is on at the time.

Nice work so far, though!

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Regarding the brightness of the orange, I was just looking at a how-to I'm still working on and I have some text in bold red:

As a comparison maybe the orange has a bit too "reddish" of a hue :confused:

Maybe is the key word ;)

qamelian
May 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hmm, still not listed on lingonberry...
Should be now. I'm on lingonberry and just switched.

@T-V: Looks great in Firefox here. Super job!

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
To be quite honest I do rather prefer the much mellower orange used in the default Ubuntu Precise theme:

sffvba[e0rt
May 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM
http://design.ubuntu.com/assets/colour-palette

wilee-nilee
May 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I like it a nice change.

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
http://design.ubuntu.com/assets/colour-palette

I'd never seen that before, very cool, thanks :)

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Is there a chance that a Ambiance version of the theme be in the works?
The regular -cleanV3 theme is almost to bright as it is. Some of us have photo sensitive eyes and the Ubuntu Theme is waaaay painful to look at.

Spirallinear forum (http://www.spiralinear.org/forum/index.php) has a softer contrast approach. Perhaps something like this but with Ubuntu color scheme.

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM

I did change the mod colors to match the theme, thought it would be nice for mods to be Ubuntu orange to respect the idea of community. The red of the moderators clash a lot with the theme, but I can change it back if the FC wishes that.

T-V

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I will see what I can tone down but the color palette is fairly limited.

T-V

Version Dependency
May 11th, 2012, 05:06 PM
It looks great but I can certainly understand how this is kinda hard on some people's eyes. There is so much white and really light gray, and the only thing that breaks it up is that orange. Could use some darker areas., as a previous person suggested, something Ambiance-like.

scouser73
May 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
The theme looks fantastic.

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Will be updating graphics soon.

T-V

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I will see what I can tone down but the color palette is fairly limited.

T-V

IMHO it's not too bad, actually pretty good :)

Way, way back (prior to the Precise dev cycle for sure) I saw a proposed forum theme that actually triggered seizures with me ........... too many "bars" .......... like looking through horizontal window blinds, but I think you're on the right track here :D

Enigmapond
May 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I like new theme. Thank you for you hard work on this. Looks better with Chrome contrast-wise. Very Nice!

Cheers!

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and positive feedback. I will work on the issue mention and see what I can do.

T-V

QIII
May 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Is there a style element that can make grumpy, stupid posts look cheerful and brilliant?

I'm not talking about any of my own posts, mind you.

forrestcupp
May 11th, 2012, 05:35 PM
That may be the problem but I don't see a huge difference between the Ubuntu home page and this new forum theme in Firefox:

The main difference I see is that the white menu text on ubuntu.com is a taller font, but mainly that it has a drop shadow, which makes it look much nicer. If you could put a drop shadow on the menu text here, it would look a lot nicer and come closer to matching ubuntu.com.

QIII
May 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I just noticed something this morning:

The dots in the background lend some nice visual interest. But it looks like the search box at the top right is misaligned.

Very minor.

IWantFroyo
May 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I can verify that it works on IE 7, although it's rather laggy.

QIII
May 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
No lag here in IE 8.

But the font in this box looks a bit funny and small when I'm typing. Looks fine on display.

I also noticed that just above the Ubuntu Forums element, there is a missing row of dots, as though there is an element there that is blank.

The curved corners of the orange menu bar also look pixellated.

Sorry. Not trying to be nit picky!

|{urse
May 11th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah, looks great! A bit pixellated on the corners as mentioned above.

http://browsershots.org/

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah, saw that last night, figured out where the was in CSS. Think it is fixed.

Thanks,
T-V

I just noticed something this morning:

The dots in the background lend some nice visual interest. But it looks like the search box at the top right is misaligned.

Very minor.

QIII
May 11th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Better!

I see the row of dots above the Ubuntu Forums graphic is still missing, though.

Is there something you are adding there?

(How much of your time are you spending on this thing, man?)

MG&TL
May 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM
That's amazing! Thanks, TV.

Looking at the "drop-down" arrows on the top bar, for search and things, they look a bit odd-there's sort of a blue/white thing (tiny, but noticeable) on the right hand side of them...I'm using epiphany/Web.

Other than that, amazing. :D It cheers me up no end when I see the "wait 15 seconds message" now, because it looks pretty.

chamber
May 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Not everything displays brilliantly on my blackberry but looks good on everything else I've checked.

QIII
May 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Just wondering...

Since the buttons and the menu bar have radiused corners, would it be hard to give some of the other elements radiused corners?

The gray backgrounds, perhaps?

But don't neglect the wife, kids, dogs, garden, housekeeping, job, etc while you work on this.

Dedication becomes obsession at some point!

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I'm working on graphics, and hopefully you will see improvements as we go.

T-V

That's amazing! Thanks, TV.

Looking at the "drop-down" arrows on the top bar, for search and things, they look a bit odd-there's sort of a blue/white thing (tiny, but noticeable) on the right hand side of them...I'm using epiphany/Web.

Other than that, amazing. :D It cheers me up no end when I see the "wait 15 seconds message" now, because it looks pretty.

Artemis3
May 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I wish that theme was a little darker in the text areas, not unlike the stylish "Ubuntuforums that is easier on the eyes"...

Dot patterned Silver white against silver white is like... i can't see a thing.

Or make a whole new darker theme, consider it an accessibility issue.

MG&TL
May 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I'm working on graphics, and hopefully you will see improvements as we go.

T-V

Ah...they're icons. In which case, ignore everything I said. :)

Perfect Storm
May 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Looks great. Though the forum logo would look better if aligned with the layout.

Merk42
May 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I did change the mod colors to match the theme, thought it would be nice for mods to be Ubuntu orange to respect the idea of community. The red of the moderators clash a lot with the theme, but I can change it back if the FC wishes that.

T-VWould you be 'allowed' to use Aubergine for that instead? Actually nevermind, I misread.

kdane4
May 11th, 2012, 08:12 PM
looks good.. Keep up the good work . :)

catlover2
May 11th, 2012, 08:12 PM
How about making these: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/rebrand/buttons/quote.gif the same orange as everything else, or at least something not quite as bright.
They look a bit out of place to my eyes.

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'm putting new images on the server. You may see some temp missing graphics.

T-V

catlover2
May 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just noticed that supposed-to-be-smooth scrolling is very choppy in Firefox, but is very smooth with the "cleanv3" theme.

Erik1984
May 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Very refreshing :)

Dry Lips
May 11th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Sweet!

I like it a lot! Keep up the good work :)

PaulW2U
May 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. Good work. =D>

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I have viewed it in Chrome and Firefox, its insanely to bright. As in its to bright to be usable. Even face book has better contrast. I understand there is a pallet scheme you must go by, but I looked it over as well and there is some darker shades that can be used. Not saying it looks bad, it doesnt at all. But the sight must be usable for everyone without hurting their eyes after a hour. I have light sensitivity and using the scheme is like getting salt thrown in my eyes. I will have to keep it on CleanV3 or V2. So what ever you do please dont remove the others.

CharlesA
May 11th, 2012, 11:41 PM

T-V

I hate CSS too.

Sidenote: Staff is coming up as orange instead of red even on cleanv2.

DoubleClicker
May 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM
How about adding a little ambiance brown for the post borders.

Phoenixie
May 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I have colorized a few icons which were still brown. Hope it helps.

zombifier25
May 12th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I'm late on this but it looks really good! Finally you guys are going to do away with the horrible default theme. The only thing that's bothering me is the lack of borders on stuffs.

Face-Ache
May 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I switched to it and haven't gone back to the old theme. I think it looks ace just as it is, contrast doesn't bother me at all.

Phoenixie
May 12th, 2012, 09:53 AM
A few more icons I forgot.

georgelappies
May 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I finally figured out how to do themeing in vB3 and have made a forums theme that matches the Ubuntu branding. We will still be upgrading to vB4 soon, but we have something people can start playing with.

Sorry for being lame and slow on this,
T-V

Most excellent! thanks it looks very nice. Please continue the customisation and please keep the ubuntu font the default font :)

zombifier25
May 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hey, you should consider making a blue or grey theme. It would go well with Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu users.
(Actually, the real reason that I made this post is that I like blue/grey more than orange. Guilty)

Linuxratty
May 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM

All I see is clearvu1 and 2.

zombifier25
May 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I read the Ubuntu Brand Guidelines (http://design.ubuntu.com/assets/ubuntu-logo) and it seems the new Ubuntu Forums logo does not follow it (scroll down to the very end of the guidelines page)
Just want to point that out.

Phoenixie
May 12th, 2012, 03:00 PM

If you go to the Forum Index (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php) you should see it. But indeed that's a bug.

|{urse
May 12th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Looks great. Though the forum logo would look better if aligned with the layout.

Yeah, just saw that a style="margin-left: 30px;" on the div containing the logo might help. Not necessarily inline, u know what i mean lol

Bandit
May 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
How about adding a little ambiance brown for the post borders.

Yea or at least orange.

Just a side note, neutral colors normally shades of gray generally can be used seen fit by the site designer to help correct contrast issues. In most cases at least. I think that might be acceptable here. <-- notice key word "think".

Just currently its very very hard to see the other white input boxes or even the post boarders. It looks like a big white piece of notebook paper from my standpoint. I been fooling around with all the color and temp settings on my monitor and all of them still dont show it any better. Even different browsers are still to bright.

papibe
May 12th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Dear Technoviking & all.

I can't stop myself from insisting on the size of the new font.

IMHO it is too small (at least for me). I have to zoom it to be able to read it without squinting. I think both previous themes have a good, readable sized font.

I've attached some pictures just in case.

Respectfully,
papibe.

KiwiNZ
May 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Dear Technoviking & all.

IMHO it is too small (at least for me). I have to zoom it to be able to read it without squinting. I think both previous themes have a good, readable sized font.

I've attached some pictures just in case.

Respectfully,
papibe.

I am not experiencing this at all, I have run this on Firefox, Chrome, Safari in OSX. Firefox and Chrome in ubuntu. Firefox, Chrome, IE in Windows 7 and Safari , Dolphin on my iPad and the fonts in all cases are spot on.

lisati
May 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM

I had that for a while too. The last time I checked the availability of the new theme in the list seemed to vary according to which of the servers the forum is hosted on provided the page to my browser.

papibe
May 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I am not experiencing this at all, I have run this on Firefox, Chrome, Safari in OSX. Firefox and Chrome in ubuntu. Firefox, Chrome, IE in Windows 7 and Safari , Dolphin on my iPad and the fonts in all cases are spot on.

Did you see the screenshots?

I made sure all were taken reseting the zoom (Ctrl+0).

For me, new them zoomed-in (Ctrl++) matches both un-zomed cleans (Ctrl+0).

If it's an anomaly on my system, what could it be?

Kind Regards.

PaulW2U
May 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM
If it's an anomaly on my system, what could it be?

I'm seeing the same.

I've just opened two rekonq windows and displayed the forum in each, an old theme against the new theme. The fonts are definitely smaller. I'm seeing the same with Opera and Firefox too.

KiwiNZ
May 12th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I would a suspect a localised settings/preferences issue

Linuxratty
May 12th, 2012, 11:48 PM
If you go to the Forum Index (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php) you should see it. But indeed that's a bug.

I should,but I don't...Just the 2 clearv options that have always been there..Oh well,I can wait.

coffeecat
May 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM

@papibe, I can confirm what you are seeing. Most of the difference is horizontally rather than vertically, but that would still be significant for some people. It seems to be a function of the design of the Ubuntu and Verdana fonts, Verdana being what you see with the old style if you have MS core fonts installed. See my screenshot for a comparison. The two lines are 18-point Verdana above and 18-point Ubuntu below, both in LibreOffice. It doesn't matter that it's LibreOffice - I was just using that as a convenient way to compare two fonts rendered to the same point size.

Since this is causing problems for some people, I will try to ensure that this is taken into account.

Out of interest, I tried installing the Ubuntu font family in both MacOS and Windows 7 earlier today to see what the forum would look like in those two OSs. The Ubuntu font coming out smaller was even more obvious in Windows, not that many people will be installing the Ubuntu font family in Windows! :)

Bandit
May 13th, 2012, 12:35 AM
@papibe, I can confirm what you are seeing. ............

I noticed it some also. But running a 27" monitor it wasnt a big deal to me. Not that they were smaller, but just more narrow. But maybe a tad larger would be a good idea.

papibe
May 13th, 2012, 12:41 AM
@papibe, I can confirm what you are seeing...

Thanks coffecat for taking interest, and your detailed answer.

If I understand correctly then (and according to this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats)), all users who have installed ubuntu-restricted-extras will be experiencing this effect.

If so, it's a significant number of users, IMO.

Kind Regards.

P.D.: I'm glad that you found a reasonable explanation, so I don't have to update my eyeglasses prescription ):P

lisati
May 13th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I should,but I don't...Just the 2 clearv options that have always been there..Oh well,I can wait.

As previously noted, it seems to depend on which of Canonical's servers sends the page you're viewing to your browser.

codingman
May 13th, 2012, 12:59 AM
header looks wrong. I hate css.

T-v

how dare you!!!

codingman
May 13th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Make the reply threads have hover attributes, don't make them have to be that you have to go directly to the center, make the box a link. Also don't put boxes for the quote things, it would look better if it would have a gradient, and not be so bold.

Irihapeti
May 13th, 2012, 01:06 AM

T-V

For a CSS-hater, you're doing jolly well. =D>

It's looking good, even on my horrible Chrome graphics chip which doesn't render pale colours very well (and some not at all).

Enigmapond
May 13th, 2012, 01:12 AM
It actually looks better on my Chrome which is fine as that's my primary. Yes, for a CSSHater you are doing a brilliant job!

|{urse
May 13th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Irihapeti, rockin the s3 :) lol.

Technoviking
May 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Just updated fonts use, now matches all other *ubuntu*.com websites.

The new forum theme uses the following font in order:
Ubuntu, "Bitstream Vera Sans", "DejaVu Sans", Tahoma, sans-serif;

For the best experience install the Ubuntu font on your machine if you are not currently running Ubuntu.

You can find more information here (http://font.ubuntu.com/).

T-V

MisterGaribaldi
May 13th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Looks interesting on my MBP running Chrome in Lion.

It is a bit bright, isn't it? I mean, at least TV didn't decide to mimic Unity, so we should be grateful for that, I suppose.

Technoviking
May 13th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Looks interesting on my MBP running Chrome in Lion.

It is a bit bright, isn't it? I mean, at least TV didn't decide to mimic Unity, so we should be grateful for that, I suppose.

That is version 2.0 :)

T_V

papibe
May 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Just updated fonts use...

Thanks Technoviking!

Even before installing the Ubuntu font, it is as readable as before :D

Kind Regards.

Phoenixie
May 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Try switching to Cleanv3 first.

coffeecat
May 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
If I understand correctly then (and according to this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats)), all users who have installed ubuntu-restricted-extras will be experiencing this effect.

If so, it's a significant number of users, IMO.

If I'm reading you correctly, no that's not quite what I meant.

The style sheet for the old cleanv forum theme listed Verdana, Arial, Tahoma as the fonts in that order. Not quite sure why - the reason for that choice is lost in the mists of history! :-k :wink: What that meant is that if you are a Linux user and install the MS core fonts (Ubuntu-restricted-extras includes the package ttf-mscorefonts-installer), then the forum text would render in Verdana. If you don't install MS core fonts - and hence don't have any of those three installed - then your browser falls back on its own default and the font will depend on the browser setting. For Firefox and Ubuntu that meant a somewhat unpleasant (to my eyes!) serif font.

For Windows and Mac users, Verdana and Arial is installed by default and Windows and Mac users will see cleanv with Verdana. Tahoma is also present in Windows - not sure about MacOS without looking. So I cannot envisage any likely scenario where anyone would actually see the forum rendered in Arial or Tahoma, but there you are. Mine not to reason why. :)

The new Ubuntu theme has Ubuntu as the first font, so if the Ubuntu font family is installed on your system, that's what you'll see. Hence my rather bizarre experiment installing the Ubuntu fonts to MacOS and Windows to see what it would look like!

EDIT: @papibe, I've just noticed that you're using Ubuntu 10.04. The Ubuntu font family doesn't come as default in 10.04, so you need to install it to see the theme at its best. But I see you've discovered this. I wonder if you were seeing the rather dismal default serif font before.

Phoenixie
May 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Here is how I think the header should look like: http://i.imgur.com/wFDdT.png.

Can someone fix that?

:guitar:

*^kyfds(
May 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
loving this.

really loving this.

Put a little bit of padding on the left hand side of the logo to straighten it up a bit.

other than that, completely awesome.

zombifier25
May 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM
here is how i think the header should look like: http://i.imgur.com/wFDdT.png.

Can someone fix that?

this

Bandit
May 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Can someone fix that?

I agree, it looks better, more uniformed and cuts down on a good bit of the white.

Technoviking
May 13th, 2012, 07:36 PM
That will be an upcoming change.

TV
'

Can someone fix that?

MisterGaribaldi
May 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Can someone fix that?

Agreed, and also agreed with the three posts immediately following it.

Thanks again, TV!

phibxr
May 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Finally some progress on this one. Please make it the default option as soon as possible. :)

MisterGaribaldi
May 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM
And, with the right fonts installed, it looks...

http://beatsfrombeijing.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/jimmie_jj_walkerundated-dyn-o-mite-med-wide.jpg?w=500

mc4man
May 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Just noticed that supposed-to-be-smooth scrolling is very choppy in Firefox, but is very smooth with the "cleanv3" theme.

See the same here, FF only on 12.04/10 - cleanv2/3 SS works fine, ubuntu theme shows a breakdown in SS. Is seen immediately upon switching to ubuntu theme, SS returns immediately when switching back.

If affected comment here with some hardware specs, video driver ect.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+bug/998872

DoubleClicker
May 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM

Can someone fix that?

That's just way to much orange. Personally I think current black/orange on white header looks pretty good, but if you want a colored background, how about:

Technoviking
May 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Purple shades are for Canonical and Enterprise and orange is for community related projects.

T-V

That's just way to much orange. Personally I think current black/orange on white header looks pretty good, but if you want a colored background, how about:

Technoviking
May 13th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I will look into this but all that is different is some CSS code and some graphic, which are smaller that the originals.

T-V

See the same here, FF only on 12.04/10 - cleanv2/3 SS works fine, ubuntu theme shows a breakdown in SS. Is seen immediately upon switching to ubuntu theme, SS returns immediately when switching back.

If affected comment here with some hardware specs, video driver ect.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+bug/998872

Bandit
May 14th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I will look into this but all that is different is some CSS code and some graphic, which are smaller that the originals.

T-V

It could be an eye illusion with the brighter background compared to the other themes. But I may be wrong, they all scroll smooth on my system.

EDIT:
Yea seems to me as slightly choppier due to screen refresh and brightness. Which means nothing has changed, just brighter screen makes it appear choppier to the eye.

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks for check this. I was wondering if it on a disk cache also.

T-V

It could be an eye illusion with the brighter background compared to the other themes. But I may be wrong, they all scroll smooth on my system.

EDIT:
Yea seems to me as slightly choppier due to screen refresh and brightness. Which means nothing has changed, just brighter screen makes it appear choppier to the eye.

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Just uploaded some more newer graphics. Thanks to Phoenixie for the help.

T-V

teejay17
May 14th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Well it's here now. I gotta say it looks absolutely lovely. My only gripe is that it isn't enabled by default. I think users, and especially new forum applicants, should see the payoff for all the hard work. Maybe enabled by default is something that is coming in the not-too-distant future?
Great work guys!

zombifier25
May 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM
A beta forum theme is being worked on (choose "ubuntu" from the theme chooser) and it looks pretty good.

teejay17
May 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM
A beta forum theme is being worked on (choose "ubuntu" from the theme chooser) and it looks pretty good.
I've enabled it — I like it. So it is just beta right now? And will become default later?

coffeecat
May 14th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Well it's here now. I gotta say it looks absolutely lovely. My only gripe is that it isn't enabled by default.

Please see this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977943

As you can see, Technoviking still considered this theme to be in Beta when the thread was started, and is still working on issues and feedback.

jshepherd
May 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I like it. It's like a newly decorated room. More pleasing to the eye.

scouser73
May 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Is there any way to make this the default theme under Chrome? By the way it looks brilliant.

zombifier25
May 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Is there any way to make this the default theme under Chrome? By the way it looks brilliant.

Look at the bottom left corner of the website. You should see a list with "cleanv2". Choose "ubuntu" from that list.

coffeecat
May 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM

You can make it your default by going to UserCP -> Edit Options. At the bottom of that page choose Ubuntu from the drop-down choice for forum skin. If you can't see Ubuntu, refresh the page and hope to get it served by server bilberry. Unfortunately, lingonberry is still sulking at the moment and refuses to acknowledge the existence of the new theme. Sorry about that! :)

Erik1984
May 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
In a previous thread about the new forum theme I read that the coffee beans were going to be removed. In the current state of the new theme they are still there. What are the plans for the beans? I hope they stay :P

scouser73
May 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
You can make it your default by going to UserCP -> Edit Options. At the bottom of that page choose Ubuntu from the drop-down choice for forum skin. If you can't see Ubuntu, refresh the page and hope to get it served by server bilberry. Unfortunately, lingonberry is still sulking at the moment and refuses to acknowledge the existence of the new theme. Sorry about that! :)

You are an absolute diamond, thanks.

teejay17
May 14th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Please see this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977943

As you can see, Technoviking still considered this theme to be in Beta when the thread was started, and is still working on issues and feedback.
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading the ongoing discussion. What I take away from it is that the forum will eventually become default after there's consensus that everything looks great.

PaulW2U
May 14th, 2012, 05:18 PM
"Ubuntu Orange " looks good. =D>

Discovered it while using Opera Mini on my rather basic Nokia 6303 mobile phone.

rai4shu2
May 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I like it. This really should be the default.

Enigmapond
May 14th, 2012, 05:28 PM
We are all about choices here. One persons default is another persons horror..:) The new face is great...BTW

cecilpierce
May 14th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Things are looking brighter !

:)

BigSilly
May 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Wow, lovely new theme. I chose Ubuntu, rather than Ubuntu-Orange as it's easier on my eyes, but both are much much better than the old ones. These really do need to be the default options now. Well done Techno!

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Ubuntu_orange is now Ubuntu and should be the default. You may have to re-select.

T-V

Cavsfan
May 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I just noticed the change. It looks great! So, I don't have to do anything like add the Firefox addons mentioned in the first post right?

I am seeing it how it is supposed to look I think.

Here is what I see:

http://ompldr.org/tZHF1eQ (http://ompldr.org/vZHF1eQ)

PaulW2U
May 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I am seeing it how it is supposed to look I think.

Here is what I see:

http://ompldr.org/tZHF1eQ (http://ompldr.org/vZHF1eQ)

Yes, that is what I see in Firefox, Opera and rekonq. :)

Dragonbite
May 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM
This new style is going to take a bit to get used to, but it's pretty nice overall.

I prefer ubuntu-white. The straight ubuntu seems too "orang-y"

lykwydchykyn
May 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Is it possible to leave the old theme as an option? I have tried both Ubuntu and Ubuntu-White and the orange hurts my eyes, to be quite honest.

Cavsfan
May 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Yes, that is what I see in Firefox, Opera and rekonq. :)

Thanks!

This new style is going to take a bit to get used to, but it's pretty nice overall.

I prefer ubuntu-white. The straight ubuntu seems too "orang-y"

So, with the Stylish and Style addons you can modify the colors? If so, does that affect other websites, or is it a site by site thing?

CharlesA
May 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Yes, the main text of each post needs to be a little larger.
Yes please.

I am having a hell of a time reading the normal text and it looks like both the links on the index, thread titles in the sub forums and body text are set to be 13px which is around 10 point font which is too small imho.

16px is the equivlent to 12 point font. 12 pt font would be preferable imho.

MisterGaribaldi
May 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Yeah, it's kind of small on my MBP, too.

maqtanim
May 14th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Wow! New theme, new look! I like the orange look! =D>

Dragonbite
May 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
So, with the Stylish and Style addons you can modify the colors? If so, does that affect other websites, or is it a site by site thing?

I didn't install anything, the theme of the site just changed. I picked ubuntu-white from the style drop-down list selector on the bottom of the page.

Cavsfan
May 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I didn't install anything, the theme of the site just changed. I picked ubuntu-white from the style drop-down list selector on the bottom of the page.

Thank you very much! I found that on the main page for the forum after looking around a bit at the bottom of this page.
I like the white better myself. :guitar:

khelben1979
May 14th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I would prefer the possibility to switch between different themes myself. So far I don't like it and I will spend far less time on this forum because of it, too bright on my eyes.

Hoping for a theme setting in the near future.

Phoenixie
May 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The logo is way too big otherwise it's getting better.

kansasnoob
May 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The brightness of the reddish orange is actually giving me a headache after a few hours ............... please restore the option to revert to the old themes until we get this toned down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unusable is just that, even if it's only unusable by a very few!

nothingspecial
May 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Threads merged.

Erik1984
May 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
The other thread was locked so I'll ask my question here again: Will the 'bean count' and icons stay?

MG&TL
May 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
The other thread was locked so I'll ask my question here again: Will the 'bean count' and icons stay?

This is just speculation, but as we're just getting a theme change, not an upgrade, I think they're staying for now.

Derek Karpinski
May 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Wow.........my retinas have been scalded! What about making the background dark? Like the ambience theme.

I do like the orange, just darken up the b/g stuff a bit.

Toz
May 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM
The brightness of the reddish orange is actually giving me a headache after a few hours ............... please restore the option to revert to the old themes until we get this toned down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
I'm okay with the changes, its just too bright.

Would also be nice if we could skin it or change the colours to match more evenly with our desktops - not alot of orange in xubuntu.

Luckiboy
May 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
On the dutch Ubuntu forum, there is a button to make the background grey. It's much more prettier for your eyes.
Link: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org (the accessibility icon above in the orange bar)

Cavsfan
May 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Have you tried the ubuntu-white? It is not as bright.

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
The screen colors are set by the branding guide. I can not change it.

T-V

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
In case you are wondering what colors I have to use.

Ubuntu Orange: #DD4814
Warm Grey 10%: #F7F6F5
Cool Grey (text): #333333
White: #FFFFFF
Black (text): #000000

Morbius1
May 14th, 2012, 08:14 PM
is it possible to leave the old theme as an option? I have tried both ubuntu and ubuntu-white and the orange hurts my eyes, to be quite honest.
+1

teejay17
May 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
In case you are wondering what colors I have to use.

Ubuntu Orange: #DD4814
Warm Grey 10%: #F7F6F5
Cool Grey (text): #333333
White: #FFFFFF
Black (text): #000000
And there's nothing wrong with them. They are the official colours. ♦

del_diablo
May 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Good, but needs more grey or black. Ubuntu dark theme?

Hylas de Niall
May 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Niiiice! I'm liking this :)

kansasnoob
May 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Have you tried the ubuntu-white? It is not as bright.

That's what I'm using, still too harsh of a reddish-orange. It seems OK for a while but then it becomes almost painful .................... and the old themes should not have been removed!!!!!!!!!

kansasnoob
May 14th, 2012, 08:28 PM
The screen colors are set by the branding guide. I can not change it.

T-V

That then means I can no longer use the forums for more than four hours at a time :cry:

If the intention is to "cull the herd" this should do it :(

There always need to be options that will work for everyone all the time.

Phoenixie
May 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I have been playing around creating a new thread status icons. Here is a preview:

http://i.imgur.com/NKhQ7.png

And these are the old ones:

http://i.imgur.com/ZS2aM.png

What do you guys think? Should I continue working on them?

sffvba[e0rt
May 14th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I have been playing around creating a new thread status icons. Here is a preview:

+1 ... looking good!

Yellow Pasque
May 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM
This site needs a dark theme, but it has for years, so I'm not holding my breath.

The other thing I see is the lack of a "preview" where you would hold the cursor over a topic and it would pop up a tooltip with the first few lines of a post. That was a real timesaver.

qamelian
May 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
This site needs a dark theme, but it has for years, so I'm not holding my breath.

The other thing I see is the lack of a "preview" where you would hold the cursor over a topic and it would pop up a tooltip with the first few lines of a post. That was a real timesaver.
I'm still getting preview tool tips here.

Morbius1
May 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM
That then means I can no longer use the forums for more than four hours at a time :cry:

If the intention is to "cull the herd" this should do it :(

There always need to be options that will work for everyone all the time.
Four hours is far far longer than I can tolerate. To be quite honest about it your comment about culling the heard ran through my mind almost instantly when I first saw this change.

Elfy
May 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM

I'm still getting preview tool tips here.

browser.chrome.toolbar_tips

I believe - it's set to true here and I see them - perhaps qamelian will doublecheck :)

Yellow Pasque
May 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for confirming that. I run Debian sid and use the generic Firefox (iceweasel 12.x). The problem seems limited to that browser as the preview works correctly in Midori and in my Ubuntu VM with FF12.

wewantutopia
May 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
That's what I'm using, still too harsh of a reddish-orange. It seems OK for a while but then it becomes almost painful .................... and the old themes should not have been removed!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely 100% agree.

The old themes should at least be an option...

Yellow Pasque
May 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM

I believe - it's set to true here and I see them - perhaps qamelian will doublecheck :)
Thanks, but my browser.chrome.toolbar_tips key is also set to "true" in iceweasel and the preview worked fine right before the theme change.

Elfy
May 14th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks, but my browser.chrome.toolbar_tips key is also set to "true" in iceweasel and the preview worked fine right before the theme change.

If that's the case then perhaps file a bug given that

Thanks for confirming that. I run Debian sid and use the generic Firefox (iceweasel 12.x). The problem seems limited to that browser as the preview works correctly in Midori and in my Ubuntu VM with FF12.

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+filebug

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979510

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM
How do I get the old theme back while this one is being worked on? I only see choices for Ubuntu or Ubuntu-White.

forrestcupp
May 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM
The quicker you can get black drop shadows on the white text, like ubuntu.com has, the quicker people will stop complaining about it being hard on the eyes. That will make things much more readable, and look more like the web site.

forrestcupp
May 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Here's an example from ubuntu.com of what I'm talking about with the black drop shadows on white text. It's much more readable.

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

d2btoo
May 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
+1 for drop shadows.

BTW meantime why not use a dark theme.

CharlesA
May 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
How do I get the old theme back while this one is being worked on? I only see choices for Ubuntu or Ubuntu-White.

I think the old themes have been disabled. I don't see them either.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Perhaps, but choice is nice too. Sorta like which DE you prefer.. :twisted:

+1 for drop shadows.

Nice theme. Are you using Stylish?

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM

I agree. However, nothing I have in the way of an OS or browser is unique. I can't help with solving problems with the theme; so, why should I have to watch it change whenever I choose to visit the forum during the Beta? The first time, my thought was a DNS redirect hack :)

Once it is finished, I will adopt it. It is just and annoyance. When I came here this morning I could change to an old theme. I came here after work, and now I can't select an old theme.

d2btoo
May 14th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Nice theme. Are you using Stylish?

Yes. :)
http://userstyles.org/styles/33467/ubuntu-forums-kiss

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Perhaps, but choice is nice too. Sorta like which DE you prefer.. :twisted:

Change being the only constant is far more fulfilling than choice, choice leads to procrastination and stagnation.:-\"

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I agree. However, nothing I have in the way of an OS or browser is unique. I can't help with solving problems with the theme; so, why should I have to watch it change whenever I choose to visit the forum during the Beta? The first time, my thought was a DNS redirect hack :)

Once it is finished, I will adopt it.

Watching it evolve is fun

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I will say though in my humble view the 'edit' 'quote' etc icons are a tad on the gaudy colour wise.

lykwydchykyn
May 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Change being the only constant is far more fulfilling than choice, choice leads to procrastination and stagnation.:-\"

Please do not dismiss criticism of the new theme as simply resistance to change. I don't care what color the forum is, as long as it doesn't cause strain on my eyes. This orange color (in either theme) causes my eyes discomfort.

I ask for the old theme back as an option simply because I assume it's less work than creating a brand new theme with less orange.

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Please do not dismiss criticism of the new theme as simply resistance to change. I don't care what color the forum is, as long as it doesn't cause strain on my eyes. This orange color (in either theme) causes my eyes discomfort.

I ask for the old theme back as an option simply because I assume it's less work than creating a brand new theme with less orange.

The colours are the Canonical/ Ubuntu official colour scheme.

Cavsfan
May 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM

That is very easy on the eyes! Thanks!

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 14th, 2012, 10:05 PM

That is defiantly an option. :)

lykwydchykyn
May 14th, 2012, 10:06 PM
The colours are the Canonical/ Ubuntu official colour scheme.

I realize that.

MG&TL
May 14th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I don't know what everyone's on about...mine doesn't hurt my eyes at all...maybe your screens are too bright?

Not trying to take the mickey here, just can't see why everyone'e eyes hurt.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I haven't seen a sticky that tells people visiting the forum that a Beta is in progress. It may exist; however, I haven't seen one. Would this be a reasonable sticky? I know most people don't read stickies. :)

Very active thread about change.

:lolflag:

Morbius1
May 14th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I don't know what everyone's on about...mine doesn't hurt my eyes at all...maybe your screens are too bright?

It's most likely an age thing and even if it's not in your case I don't care.

And people, please stop all this change or die nonsense. It's becoming like Lord of the Flies around here.

lykwydchykyn
May 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM

People are different. Some people can't stand broccoli. Some people can't eat peanuts. Some people go crazy if there's a clock ticking in the room.

Some people can't look at a screen full of bright, sharp colors for very long before they feel eyestrain and headache.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
People are different. Some people can't stand broccoli. Some people can't eat peanuts. Some people go crazy if there's a clock ticking in the room.

Some people can't look at a screen full of bright, sharp colors for very long before they feel eyestrain and headache.

I think you are on to something.

Orange as well as Red seem to stimulate emotion in some cultures. When reading support questions and responses, the over abundance of red or orange may emotionally stimulate someone that is already frustrated to start with.

The culturally emotional stimulation may not be a bad thing except when it interferes with a logical, calm, solution to a problem. Just an observation.

The Ubuntu Staff is multi-cultural; therefore, they may understand what I am suggesting.

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM
When we changed to the previous scheme we had a lot "it hurts my eyes change back".

qamelian
May 14th, 2012, 10:33 PM

And you are correct! :)

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Please do, looks great.

T-V

praveenthivari
May 14th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Looks good.
Only thing is the Quick reply box, Reply box, emoticons, the icons used in the forums need a new look.
These thing still give a feel of old forums.

Edit: Just as I posted this, I saw Technoviking's new icon set. So they look good. Eagerly waiting for them land here.

praveenthivari
May 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Please do, looks great.

T-V

Looks great.

Any improvements for reply, quick reply boxes, drop down menu ??

madjr
May 14th, 2012, 10:50 PM
would like for it to be a little less white.

MG&TL
May 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't call these bright, sharp colours- this (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=really+bright+colours&um=1&hl=en&client=ubuntu&channel=es&biw=1293&bih=686&tbm=isch&tbnid=BzCfearUafxaYM:&imgrefurl=http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php%3Ftopic%3D50943.0&docid=djhqfq5qvxcMOM&imgurl=http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/195679/bright-rainbow-colours-stripes.jpg&w=926&h=595&ei=AH6xT4mcLcb_8gPkqsSTCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=780&vpy=395&dur=684&hovh=180&hovw=280&tx=175&ty=166&sig=113635934895181272889&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=211&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:102) might be more like it.

But I can see your point and appreciate all people are different.

Maybe we can stick to the colour scheme as laid out by our SABDFL/design team, but switch the colours around a bit, so we have orange highlights, rather than orange almost everywhere.

forrestcupp
May 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I just remember back when everyone cried about the theme hurting their eyes back when they changed the Backyard to OMG Pink Ponies and the text was pink. Everyone complained of eye strain, so they changed it to purple. So I'm not expecting much now. :)

But anyway, the only part that's hard on the eyes is the top of the screen. How much time do people really spend looking at the top of the screen? I'm usually scrolling through the threads, which are a nice black text on gray background. The part I'm usually looking at isn't that hard on the eyes, and the Quote buttons aren't really big enough to stick out a lot.

But as fast as this thread is moving, I feel obligated to keep putting in my request for black drop shadows on the white text, which would make it easier on the eyes, and match ubuntu.com better. :D

KiwiNZ
May 14th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Even Dart Vader approves

<--------------

sffvba[e0rt
May 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Even Dart Vader approves

<--------------

... so it is settled then ;)

BlinkinCat
May 14th, 2012, 11:04 PM
i just remember back when everyone cried about the theme hurting their eyes back when they changed the backyard to omg pink ponies and the text was pink. Everyone complained of eye strain, so they changed it to purple. So i'm not expecting much now. :)

but anyway, the only part that's hard on the eyes is the top of the screen. How much time do people really spend looking at the top of the screen? I'm usually scrolling through the threads, which are a nice black text on gray background. The part i'm usually looking at isn't that hard on the eyes, and the quote buttons aren't really big enough to stick out a lot.

But as fast as this thread is moving, i feel obligated to keep putting in my request for black drop shadows on the white text, which would make it easier on the eyes, and match ubuntu.com better. :d

+1

Stewie2kill
May 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Fantastic work! I was wondering how this was coming along and 'if', indeed, at all.

Very much so appreciated!

Irihapeti
May 14th, 2012, 11:39 PM
T-V:

I find it fascinating watching the changes as the theme evolves.

I bet you are learning LOTS about CSS along the way!

codingman
May 14th, 2012, 11:46 PM
like ubuntu-white better than the original; what happened to my earlier posts?

Technoviking
May 14th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I am, but is it is CSS though a vBulletin filter which is kinda mind-numbing :).

T-V

T-V:

I find it fascinating watching the changes as the theme evolves.

I bet you are learning LOTS about CSS along the way!

Linuxratty
May 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Ohh,it's orangey!
:):KS I like it!

Irihapeti
May 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I am, but is it is CSS though a vBulletin filter which is kinda mind-numbing :).

T-V

Analogous perhaps to BBCode or wiki markup instead of original HTML tags? Not the same thing - I can understand disliking that.

Bandit
May 15th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Header looks much better. Keep up the good work.

Think it may be possible to get some medium grey outlines around the post cells?

Bucky Ball
May 15th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Hi all,

Just to say I love the new look forum! Yay! ;)

overdrank
May 15th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Threads merged.

craig10x
May 15th, 2012, 01:18 AM
the ubuntu fonts make it easier to read...however, it would be nice if you could make the type somewhat larger for the actual posts...that always been kind of on the small size and harder to read, and even with the ubuntu fonts, the type is still to small...so that would be my suggestion for improvement...and i am sure many others would like that too! ;)

Quadunit404
May 15th, 2012, 01:51 AM
We will still be upgrading to vB4 soon

You will after Episode 3 is released! I just know you will!

Technoviking
May 15th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Please see this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1980246

T-V

Bandit
May 15th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Hey Mike,
You mentioned the themes Ubuntu and Ubuntu-white. Which theme is the current default and will there be an ambient version for us folk with sensitive eyes? You doing good, keep up the hard work.

- Joe

Technoviking
May 15th, 2012, 02:46 AM
No sorry, that is not allowed in the branding guidelines if I created I would be asked to remove it. I trying to find a way to tone down the colors, if possible. I'm contacting the Canonical Design team and asking for advice, hopefully we can find middle ground on this.

T-V

Hey Mike,
You mentioned the themes Ubuntu and Ubuntu-white. Which theme is the current default and will there be an ambient version for us folk with sensitive eyes? You doing good, keep up the hard work.

- Joe

Bandit
May 15th, 2012, 02:52 AM
No sorry, that is not allowed in the branding guidelines if I created I would be asked to remove it. I trying to find a way to tone down the colors, if possible. I'm contacting the Canonical Design team and asking for advice, hopefully we can find middle ground on this.

T-V
The colors are good. Its the white that starts giving me headaches after a few minutes. I have a sever light sensitivity. Tell them its a accessibility issue, which is true. :)

thatguruguy
May 15th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Well done.

Technoviking
May 15th, 2012, 02:58 AM
The colors are good. Its the white that starts giving me headaches after a few minutes. I have a sever light sensitivity. Tell them its a accessibility issue, which is true. :)

What exactly is to bright?
Do other *.ubuntu.com site have the same effect?
Does adjusting your monitor brightness a tiny bit help?
Can you file a bug?

Thanks,
T-V

sammiev
May 15th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I like the orange on the staff and so on, but these old eyes and new colours are killing me on the rest. I find I must dull my screen for this site and brighten for all my other usual sites. Can we have a happy medium or give us an option to shut it off and go with just 2 colours of our choice. Thanks. :)

Bandit
May 15th, 2012, 03:05 AM
What exactly is to bright?
Do other *.ubuntu.com site have the same effect?
Does adjusting your monitor brightness a tiny bit help?
Can you file a bug?

Thanks,
T-V

I had been using the CleanV3 theme as it was slightly warmer in cooler, still bright though. But yea if you want I can file a bug, let me dig my account information out and I will do that.

I have tried different settings on my monitor ASUS 27" LCD. Even choosing a lower contrast view mode the almost-white on white bleeds out. Much like the effect you would get keeping your eyes open to long stairing at a light bulb. I get the after glow effect in my eyes which leads to my eyes and head hurting. Mind you I also have this same issue driving at night as well. So I try to avoid night driving as much as possible.

Technoviking
May 15th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Please file a bug if you find the colors to bright (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+filebug). Need better information than it is too bright. Provide screenshots and please do a bug report.

Cheers,
T-V

Bandit
May 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Please file a bug ...

Done, thanks for the link Mike. BTW, despite my screwed up vision your doing a good job.

EDIT:
Here is a screenshot describing what I am talking about.

Linuxratty
May 15th, 2012, 03:39 AM
+1 for drop shadows.

For me,the Gray text on black is virtually impossible to read.

Definitely like the new look...new icons look good as well.

sammiev
May 15th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Please file a bug if you find the colors to bright (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+filebug). Need better information than it is too bright. Provide screenshots and please do a bug report.

Cheers,
T-V

Since I have so many passwords and totally impossible to remember them all I will add my screen shot here.

Primefalcon
May 15th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I have to say, the forum theme is looking pretty darn awesome

pbpersson
May 15th, 2012, 05:16 AM
WOW! That woke me up!

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

c@ssie
May 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
](*,)

The site is sooo fugly now. Why did you make the site so orange?
The branding guidlines have an ubuntu forums logo, and it's black text on white with orange COF.

I thought it was going to look like :

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=214423&d=1331921677

kansasnoob
May 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I found a pre-existing bug report and added a comment along with marking that it effected me too:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+bug/999432

I really want to like the new theme but the headaches make it unusable :(

kansasnoob
May 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
](*,)

The site is sooo fugly now. Why did you make the site so orange?
The branding guidlines have an ubuntu forums logo, and it's black text on white with orange COF.

I thought it was going to look like :

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=214423&d=1331921677

I think that's the Ubuntu-White theme, please see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1980246

kansasnoob
May 15th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I found a pre-existing bug report and added a comment along with marking that it effected me too:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuforums.org/+bug/999432

I really want to like the new theme but the headaches make it unusable :(

I actually think we should try the same exact orange used in the wiki:

And please bring back Ubuntu-White sooner rather than later ;)

Usability needs to be the top priority.

KiwiNZ
May 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
We have to meet the design specifications set by our owners.

DoubleClicker
May 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
We have to meet the design specifications set by our owners.

Ok, I have read he specifications, a they do not necessitate an orange background on the logo.

This is from the official design site
http://design.ubuntu.com/wp-content/uploads/brand-extensions-1.gif

also the have an alliance for Aubergine highlights

http://design.ubuntu.com/wp-content/uploads/ubuntu-colour-wheel-voice.png

Our colour palette consists of orange, aubergine, white and warm grey. The amount of colour we use for community and Canonical collateral varies according to the emphasis of the content.

At one end of the scale, where the work is dominated by the community, the emphasis is on a fresh palette, the use of white and orange, and warm grey for balance. Aubergine is used only as a highlight.

At the other end of the scale, where the work is more focused on Canonical, the palette is more refined and grounded, with much more emphasis on aubergine as the core colour. Orange is only used as a highlight and we use white and warm grey to complement the orange and aubergine.

KiwiNZ
May 15th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Ok, I have read he specifications, a they do not necessitate an orange background on the logo.

This is from the official design site
http://design.ubuntu.com/wp-content/uploads/brand-extensions-1.gif

also the have an alliance for Aubergine highlights

Refer technoviking's previous posts as to what is allowable.