PDA

View Full Version : if you have trouble reading the security picture things repond here

darth62969
May 11th, 2012, 01:52 AM
k have any of you come across the security messages that say "type the words in the box" and you can't read a single thing that is there, have a hard time or are unsure of what it is?
let the community then raise awareness for the fact that some of us have dyslexia and can't read **** (i cencered that and i can't spell). so let us know it you are like me and give your idea that will correct this bright idea.

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Yea those things (forgot what you call them atm) are getting super uber hard to figure out. I was on a website the other night and it took me 10 bloody minutes to get the wording correct. Seriously there has to be a better way to avoid bots.

CharlesA
May 11th, 2012, 01:57 AM
You mean the captchas?

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 01:59 AM
You mean the captchas?

Yea thats the word :lolflag:

darth62969
May 11th, 2012, 02:04 AM
good I'm not alone
i actually have an idea have them be audio and request that you type the letter in military style if you know what i mean
ex) alpha beta charlie = abc

darth62969
May 11th, 2012, 02:05 AM
that is the computer says alpha beta charlie and you type abc

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 02:11 AM
that is the computer says alpha beta charlie and you type abc

Somewhere down the line I can see a bot that recognizes that as well.

Im prior military so I know the alphabet all to well, but many folks just cant comprehend them. Ironically I have said "C as in Charlie" and the person reply "C as in Cat?" /face palm..

anaconda
May 11th, 2012, 02:35 AM
yep. they are hard to read sometines...

jwbrase
May 11th, 2012, 06:13 AM
let the community then raise awareness for the fact that some of us have dyslexia

They're getting hard to read even without dyslexia. The idea is that people are better at pattern recognition than computers, but computer pattern recognition is getting better, and so CAPTCHA's are getting harder to decipher for humans.

Irihapeti
May 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I don't have dyslexia but I struggle with some of those captchas - especially the recaptcha thing which looks like it has an inkblot over one of the words.

darth62969
May 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM
that recapticah thing. forget it i takes me at least 10 tries to get it.

SeijiSensei
May 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Somewhere down the line I can see a bot that recognizes that as well.

Actually there are companies in places like India that pay people to decode captchas (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/inside-indias-captcha-solving-economy/1835). You wouldn't need a bot to recognize voice-based captchas, just an army of low-wage folks willing to listen and transcribe thousands of captchas for a few dollars a day.

One of the reasons that captchas have become progressively more difficult over time is to make it difficult for these people to earn a sufficient living and drive their employers out of business.

Dave_L
May 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM
that recapticah thing. forget it i takes me at least 10 tries to get it.

You mean this? http://recaptcha.net/

I agree.

Paqman
May 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
i actually have an idea have them be audio

They should be already. Any site with CAPTCHAs that don't include an audio version is a massive accessibility fail.

forrestcupp
May 11th, 2012, 08:25 PM
In the future, all computers will come with web cams that can also do retinal scans, and any computer that can't submit a retinal scan won't be allowed in.

Megaptera
May 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I don't have dyslexia but I struggle with some of those captchas - especially the recaptcha thing which looks like it has an inkblot over one of the words.

+1 to that! They're a real pain.

odiseo77
May 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Some days ago I even got an asian character in a two words captcha (it had a word consisting of latin characters and another one that seemed to be Japanese). Luckily I know the trick of these combined captchas and it worked only by writing the word consisting of latin characters.

Irihapeti
May 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I saw a recaptcha that had one of the words in Hebrew. Fortunately, you can refresh the thing, which gave something that I could at least attempt.

Sometimes, it takes me several goes before I find one that I can actually decipher.

CharlesA
May 11th, 2012, 09:02 PM
They should be already. Any site with CAPTCHAs that don't include an audio version is a massive accessibility fail.
I know recaptcha does audio ones. Not sure if there are others.

Linuxratty
May 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM
yep. they are hard to read sometines...

Yes they are..And for color blind people,it would be even worse.

darth62969
May 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM
You mean this? http://recaptcha.net/

I agree.
no, the ones i was thinking of are worse (then again the one pictured may not be the hardest)

Irihapeti
May 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
no, the ones i was thinking of are worse (then again the one pictured may not be the hardest)

I think the one shown in the link is kind of misleading. Most of them are much worse than that. (They use reversed text and what looks like an inkblot.)

Dave_L
May 13th, 2012, 02:09 AM

The one pictured is definitely deceptive. The real ones are much harder to read.

odiseo77
May 22nd, 2012, 04:21 AM
A while ago I was using google's adword keyword tool, and got the captcha in the attached image. I wonder what's the image at the left supposed to be :confused: (seems to have "P5" inscribed, or something like that).

BTW; I just entered the sequence at the right side and it worked.

Skara Brae
May 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Well, I am glad to see that there is nothing wrong with me.

Paqman
May 22nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
I wonder what's the image at the left supposed to be :confused: (seems to have "P5" inscribed, or something like that).

It's a house number. Google are using Captchas to match house numbers to photos in Streetview, as well as digitising old documents and translation.

odiseo77
May 22nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
It's a house number. Google are using Captchas to match house numbers to photos in Streetview, as well as digitising old documents and translation.

Didn't know that they were matching house numbers to photos in Streetview. That makes sense.

ArtLaForge
May 22nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
The ones that really frustrate me are the ones I am sure of that " fail ". That wasn't a l that

is a 1. :lolflag:

grahammechanical
May 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
I knew that I had seen it somewhere. Where do these images come from? Check out this link:

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

And note these comments:

reCAPTCHA improves the process of digitizing books by sending words that cannot be read by computers to the Web in the form of CAPTCHAs for humans to decipher. More specifically, each word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is placed on an image and used as a CAPTCHA. This is possible because most OCR programs alert you when a word cannot be read correctly.

But if a computer can't read such a CAPTCHA, how does the system know the correct answer to the puzzle? Here's how: Each new word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is given to a user in conjunction with another word for which the answer is already known. The user is then asked to read both words. If they solve the one for which the answer is known, the system assumes their answer is correct for the new one. The system then gives the new image to a number of other people to determine, with higher confidence, whether the original answer was correct.

Regards

mips
May 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
I knew that I had seen it somewhere. Where do these images come from? Check out this link:

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

And note these comments:

Regards

I was just about to post the same thing. Very useful.

Yes I agree these things can be damn hard to read at times.

user1397
May 23rd, 2012, 12:39 AM
I certainly have struggled with some, but I would say for the most part I get them right the first time

kevdog
May 23rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
I hate the captcha's --- frankly I'm disregarding more and more sites that use these. I just don't sign up.