PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 upgrade crashed; any reliable systems?

anyutka2009
May 11th, 2012, 12:50 AM
My Ubuntu 12.04 crashed also!! Is there a stable LINUX system that I can instal and have no problems???

anyutka2009
May 11th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I need a reliable system that I can use and have no problems with. Is there a reliable buntu or Linux system????

Bucky Ball
May 11th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Go for the last LTS release, 10.04 LTS. It has support for another year and is pretty much rock solid. LTS releases are the go for production machines and servers that you 'can use and have no problems with.' ;)

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

PS: Looks like you've been using 10.10. Was there anything wrong with that?

darkod
May 11th, 2012, 01:05 AM
You can also do clean installs after every LTS. Depends on specific software you might be running. But a clean install every 3yrs or 5yrs is not that much, and it's alwats better than an upgrade.

Beside, you might have the option to fix your issue, but you don't sound interested in it and never mentioned what is wrong with it.

Did you try 12.04 in live mode first to see if it runs on your machine?

anyutka2009
May 11th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I've been using ubuntu for a few years now and i do like it. but i have always found a few problems but was able to still work with the system pretty well. i've had 11.10 and i was upgrading to 12.04 when i disturbed my computer during installation and it crashed and i wasn't able to log in and lost all my files. had to do a clean install three times before it worked and now there's still issues.
any suggestions??

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM
so far I have been using 12.04 several months now from beta 2 and it seem solid while computers have come and gone the OS is still going strong ..

keep in mind with upgrades at least online your at the mercy of servers and the internet not so much the OS or upgrade its self most failures during upgrade turn out to be power, internet or hardware related though many find it far easy to blame software that may never have even gotten fully installed or configured :)

Timothy Taylor
May 11th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I've been using 10.04 LTS since it was released and found it to be rock solid.

In stark contrast, 12.04 is bug-ridden rubbish - completely screwed up my system. I've had to do a clean reinstall of 10.04 - still in progress...

Luckily I backed up my files first, so all I've lost is 2-3 days.
:icon_frown:

anyutka2009
May 11th, 2012, 03:36 AM
OK!! Thanks guys!!! Ill try to reinstall with a new live usb. it should work

darkod
May 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM
1. I don't know what disturbed my computer during the upgrade means, but you can't seriously expect it to work 100% if you in any way have stopped the upgrade.

2. Note that what works for me, doesn't necessarily work for you. You might find 10.04 too old with old versions of software.

You still don't mention any issues you have with 12.04. If they are not critical issues, I would better try to solve them now, than install 10.04 because sooner or later it will stop to be supported (in one year). So, more or less, after six months you will need to be thinking moving to 12.04 anyway.

It's already released, why not try to install and sort the issues now, instead of looking (possibly) into another clean install six months from now and doing the same troubleshooting and sorting out of issues anyway.

mörgæs
May 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Please don't double-post.
Merged.