PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 problem

hyperhopper
May 11th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Somehow my mother decided she should try to update her computer. No idea what she did wrong, but she called me to look at it and I see this

http://i.imgur.com/DGv1B.jpg

Is there any way I can fix the system while not deleting any files?

The top option results in the text going away but the purpleish screen staying on the screen forever without change untill the power button is pressed.

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 01:06 AM
this is all well and good your in recovery and all , how ever with out a clue how you got there or what the problems were or anything else about the computer its self how is it anyone can know where to go from here :)

upgrades that go wrong are never good news how ever I will bet unless your willing to just give up everything and go get a ISO for a fresh install with any where from a day or 5 there is a way to get this going or at least salvage any pictures and personal files there were before that at least so don't give up on it unless your just ina big hurry to get a working computer back ..

how ever I am not sure what to direct you to do in recovery at this post I just know in most situations clicking the option for the last version can be an invitation to bigger problems depending various set up it could have been running ..

if you don't know exactly how the update end up in recovery and your feeling adventurous maybe try rebooting and see if you can read copy any of the errors messages and post them here for others to see there are a lot of people here very good at knowing what to do seeing a kew key bits of logs ..

maybe also try to find out did the install go good if any strange messages or such were seen, did the computer lose power or internet during the down load or install any facts you can dig up would help ...

Bucky Ball
May 11th, 2012, 01:08 AM
What is wrong with it? That is the grub menu. What happens when you hit return on the first entry???

(Looks like she upgraded, not updated. It would now be 12.04 LTS with that kernel I suspect.)

@jadtech: What error messages? The pic looks normal, just missing the last kernel which shouldn't prevent it from booting.

hyperhopper
May 11th, 2012, 01:12 AM
What is wrong with it? That is the grub menu. What happens when you hit return on the first entry???

(Looks like she upgraded, not updated. It would now be 12.04 LTS with that kernel I suspect.)

@jadtech: What error messages? The pic looks normal, just missing the last kernel which shouldn't prevent it from booting.

I completely forgot, top message results in the text going away and the screen staying that color infinitely, with no change.

jadtech
May 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM

my question was how did it get there a good upgrade will look for your password and boot up to the desk top not end up at the grub menu I have upgraded from 11.10 3 times and have done 2 full installs ..

Bucky Ball
May 11th, 2012, 02:41 AM
K. Reboot and when you get to that screen, hit 'e' to edit, find the line that ends in:

quiet splash... and add this to the end of that line (a space after splash):

nomodsetInstructions to save and reboot are at the bottom of that edit screen ('x' and 'b' from memory but check). What happens?

kansasnoob
May 11th, 2012, 11:30 AM
K. Reboot and when you get to that screen, hit 'e' to edit, find the line that ends in:

quiet splash... and add this to the end of that line (a space after splash):

nomodsetInstructions to save and reboot are at the bottom of that edit screen ('x' and 'b' from memory but check). What happens?

Shouldn't that second command be:

nomodeset

hyperhopper
May 11th, 2012, 01:18 PM
The line ends in

quiet splash vt.handoff = 7

And putting the nomodset or nomodeset between splash and vt.handoff=7 does nothing, same result