PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10 to 12.04 upgrade & update issues

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I tried to upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 and after about a half hour of downloading I got an error that it couldn't download some of the packages. I did some research that said I should install the latest 10.10 updates before upgrading, which I thought I did. When I tried to update 10.10 with the latest fixes I received the following error: Failed to download package files – check your Internet connection
Details:
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release i386 (20120423)]/pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_2.2.0.3-1ubuntu3_all.deb File not found
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ - Release i386 (20120423)]/pool/main/f/fakeroot/fakeroot_1.18.2-1_i386.deb File not found

My internet connection is fine, (I'm using it now to post this :smile: ), could it be timing out on their end? I imagine the servers are still pretty busy. Otherwise I have a 12.04 iso I burned, is it recommended to upgrade using an iso, or would that format over everything? Can I click 'upgrade' and somehow point the upgrade manager to the cd instead of downloading it? And I noticed my 10.04 is 32bit and my pc is 64. Would upgrading to a 12.04 64 bit version cause more problems than it would be worth?

As always, any help you can offer would be much appreciated and thanks in advance !

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 01:51 AM
10.10 is eol.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

You are probably better installing 12.04 alongside it and tweaking 12.04 how you want and dragging over the important stuff. Back up 10.10 first though.

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I thought when I started the upgrade it was trying to upgrade me to 12.04. Now it says, there is a new version 11.04, as if it is going to step me through the multiple upgrades to get to 12.04. But in the error messages I posted above, it looks like it is trying to find 12.04. Could this be part of the problem? Or the fact that I had 12.04 in the cd at the time?

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I thought when I started the upgrade it was trying to upgrade me to 12.04. Now it says, there is a new version 11.04, as if it is going to step me through the multiple upgrades to get to 12.04. But in the error messages I posted above, it looks like it is trying to find 12.04. Could this be part of the problem? Or the fact that I had 12.04 in the cd at the time?

Look at my link, to even correctly update to 11.04 you have to change the /etc/apt/sources.list

To be honest I would not mess around with this if you are not backed up, if it fails you may be in trouble unless you get help. I would think what it might be like if that help does not arrive.

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I think you are right. I backed up about a month ago and need to back up my latest files, bookmarks etc. Something is definitely wrong here. I just went through the update and upgrade processes again and they both failed. Now I remember why I put the 12.04 cd in. After clicking on the upgrade to 11.04 button it specifically asks me to insert a 12.04 LTS cd in. It reads my 12.04 cd while saying it is "downloading" the packages for 11.04 then gives an internet connection error, but the error messages of what it is trying to retrieve are paths to the 12.04 cd. Now I'm in a loop with no fix. I can't use update manager for anything. Updating latest 10.10 fixes crashes. Upgrading to 11.04 crashes. And upgrading to 12.04 crashes. I think my only option is to back up, format and install 12.04 from a live cd.

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I think you are right. I backed up about a month ago and need to back up my latest files, bookmarks etc. Something is definitely wrong here. I just went through the update and upgrade processes again and they both failed. Now I remember why I put the 12.04 cd in. After clicking on the upgrade to 11.04 button it specifically asks me to insert a 12.04 LTS cd in. It reads my 12.04 cd while saying it is "downloading" the packages for 11.04 then gives an internet connection error, but the error messages of what it is trying to retrieve are paths to the 12.04 cd. Now I'm in a loop with no fix. I can't use update manager for anything. Updating latest 10.10 fixes crashes. Upgrading to 11.04 crashes. And upgrading to 12.04 crashes. I think my only option is to back up, format and install 12.04 from a live cd.

Cool, you have back ups, that is what I would do at this point.

Fortunately 12.04.1 is supported for five years so just keep an eye on the EOL of it.

You might check it out on a live cd, it is different now, with unity and gnome 3, but there are about 50 desktops that can be used.

Also keep in mind that 10.04.1 is supported for another year or so if the new setups are not likable to you.

Best of luck. :D

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the help.

there are about 50 desktops that can be used
Wow! I didn't know there were 50 desktops!

10.04.1 is supported for another year
Yeah, that's what I thought I had installed. When my pc crashed I grabbed an old iso (10.10) thinking it was the LTS and put it on my old laptop (this machine).

As far as backing up is concerned, would you know of an easy way to list the applications I have downloaded? I can back up my files easy enough, but I have installed several applications that I want to remember to reinstall. Like when you go into Ubuntu Software Center and click on installed software. I want to get a list that would show Games -> Assault Cube, AisleRiot, Konquest; Graphics-> Blender, Gimp; Programming -> Bluefish, Kompozer; etc. Almost like a listing of the Application menu and sub-menus. Wouldn't there have to be a file that stored the menu information somewhere?

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the help.

Wow! I didn't know there were 50 desktops!

Yeah, that's what I thought I had installed. When my pc crashed I grabbed an old iso (10.10) thinking it was the LTS and put it on my old laptop (this machine).

As far as backing up is concerned, would you know of an easy way to list the applications I have downloaded? I can back up my files easy enough, but I have installed several applications that I want to remember to reinstall. Like when you go into Ubuntu Software Center and click on installed software. I want to get a list that would show Games -> Assault Cube, AisleRiot, Konquest; Graphics-> Blender, Gimp; Programming -> Bluefish, Kompozer; etc. Almost like a listing of the Application menu and sub-menus. Wouldn't there have to be a file that stored the menu information somewhere?

Fifty may be a bit high but here is a link on some.

http://xwinman.org/

You can do a dpkg save to reinstall with, or just read.

Install dselect if you need to reload, the first command saves the list in home.

dpkg --get-selections > installed software
dpkg --set-selections < installed-softwareRun this to bring up dselect to reinstall.

sudo dselectAny installs that were downloads from the web and not in the repos will need a download again,

I have made this list into a bash and loaded it in synaptic as well.

Here is the UF link where I got these commands.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Cool commands! I've seen dpkg before but didn't really know what it did. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I found the output file in Home called "installed", but it was empty. My terminal output is:
$ dpkg --get-selections > installed software
No packages found matching software.
$ dpkg --set-selections < installed-software
bash: installed-software: No such file or directory

I checked the man on dpkg because I thought the < > symbols looked out of place, but saw similar commands listed, so I think the syntax is correct. The link to the thread you posted showed others using it successfully, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe because I'm in the middle of an "upgrade loop" it is locked down or something.

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Cool commands! I've seen dpkg before but didn't really know what it did. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I found the output file in Home called "installed", but it was empty. My terminal output is:
$ dpkg --get-selections > installed software
No packages found matching software.
$ dpkg --set-selections < installed-software
bash: installed-software: No such file or directory

I checked the man on dpkg because I thought the < > symbols looked out of place, but saw similar commands listed, so I think the syntax is correct. The link to the thread you posted showed others using it successfully, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe because I'm in the middle of an "upgrade loop" it is locked down or something.

Not sure myself really, this has worked for me.

Really my skills are where I have had to fix something so I learned the associated stuff.

What happens if you just run a update in the terminal.

sudo apt-get update

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM
One of the problems is the first command said installed software and should have said installed-software, with a dash. This gives me a file called installed-software with a listing of software -- so that part is working. The second command gives me: "dpkg: operation requires read/write access to dpkg status area" -
Just figured it out. 2nd command needed sudo!

PcMojo
May 10th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure what the second command (set-selections) did. It looks like the first command (get) builds the file for installed software. The second command somehow selects them (not sure how because the file hasn't changed and I don't see another file). I guess after copying this file and doing a new install the third command would parse through the list and install the packages. With every upgrade there is a pretty good sized list of files "no longer supported" & "no longer needed" so I'm not so sure this is a good idea. But having the initial list as a cheat sheet to remember what I had installed on the old system is pretty handy. Thanks again for the help!

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Last time I used it I just ran this to bring up dselect which has a task list which includes install.
sudo dselect

PcMojo
May 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I ended up reformatting and doing a clean install. By searching the forums I found out that somewhere in the update / upgrade process my apt-get was running in the background and locking down a bunch of files. That's why I couldn't install Avg, Avast, or anything else, including updates and upgrades. I found a thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685004) that explained how to kill all or find an individual process and kill it. That fixed it, but after reading other threads I decided to do a clean install. I'm back up and running now, just trying to figure out some new 12.04 glitches. My cd / dvd won't burn anymore and I think it is ruining blank disks! I might have to post another thread. Thanks again for the help!