PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/Unix-like Habits Manifesting In Windows

Shadius
May 9th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I've switched over to Ubuntu from Windows, but I occasionally use Windows. Sometimes I forget that I'm on a Windows PC and start doing things I would do on Ubuntu like trying to access the Terminal and asking myself, "Why isn't Terminal opening!?" after continuously pressing the keyboard shortcut! :lolflag: I've caught myself doing these things a few times, so I was wondering if any of you have had that happened too? If so, please share! A funny one would be good! I've added a poll also.

CharlesA
May 9th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Try using rm or ls in a cmd window..

Oops..

MBybee
May 9th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Try using rm or ls in a cmd window..

Oops..

Been doing this one for 15 years... you'd think I'd know by now :D
How about hitting the "win/super" key and starting to type something, only to realize that Windows doesn't work that way?

CharlesA
May 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Been doing this one for 15 years... you'd think I'd know by now :D
How about hitting the "win/super" key and starting to type something, only to realize that Windows doesn't work that way?
Vista/7/Server 2K8 do that. ;)

eriktheblu
May 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I am most often guilty of trying to mouse wheel scroll on an inactive window (the way Windows handles this is disgusting).

Sometimes I'll try to employ workspaces or ls in the command line.

Simian Man
May 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Copy-paste with select/middle mouse click is another one. Most of these things are general Unix things and not specific to Ubuntu.

|{urse
May 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I find myself using cat instead of type. And ls instead of dir of course.

overcast
May 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I am used to the windows menu style in the startups. But realized even windows is on the road to end that up so decided to ditch windows and joined hands with unity. I don't use and remember windows practices on ubuntu, i am all for learning something new.

Shadius
May 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Copy-paste with select/middle mouse click is another one. Most of these things are general Unix things and not specific to Ubuntu.

I've edited the thread title to include Unix-like things as you mentioned. :)

LillyDragon
May 9th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I use Dexpot for virtual desktops and Rocketdock for quick app access on Windows 7, so it's not too far alien from Xubuntu; I rarely attempt to use more Ubuntu-specific keyboard shortcuts and the like while running Windows. If anything, more of my Windows habits are translating to Ubuntu! I find myself trying to use CTRL-ALT-DELETE on Xubuntu a lot, even though that shortcut on Windows has been ditched since Vista. :P Old habits die hard!

Although Windows does feel a lot "stiffer" than Linux, being more difficult to skin and modify. I still keep trying to use the scroll wheel on a blank desktop, or the workspace switcher, to change workspaces, which Dexpot doesn't do. xD

drawkcab
May 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
recently i've been using gnome shell on a couple of my mahines and I find myself going for the hot corner in all my other systems.

Shadius
May 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Quick question, how do I edit the thread name since someone mentioned that it's not specific to Ubuntu, but rather being Unix-like. So I'd rather it be titled "Ubuntu/Unix-like Habits Manifesting In Windows". Also, need to edit the poll. Anyone know how?

CharlesA
May 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Quick question, how do I edit the thread name since someone mentioned that it's not specific to Ubuntu, but rather being Unix-like. So I'd rather it be titled "Ubuntu/Unix-like Habits Manifesting In Windows". Also, need to edit the poll. Anyone know how?

Fixed it for you.

Shadius
May 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Fixed it for you.

Thank you CharlesA