PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installation Help Acer Netbook

Del64
May 9th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hello,

I recently wanted to try out the windows installation of Linux though windows on my new netbook. The PC is an 64bit Acer Aspire One 722. I decided to try Kubuntu since I like KDE bit better.

I am still fairly new to Linux so I am unsure what the problem may be here: The software installed fine on Windows end however when I attempt to boot into Kubuntu the screen boots normally, the mouse appears and then freezes. This does this upon every boot option.

I attached the following screenshots below: One in verbose the other in a normal boot.

I uninstalled and re-installed this with no luck of success.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

cortman
May 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I had the same problem on my Acer Aspire One 722 as well. Thankfully there's a very simple, albeit puzzling fix: On bootup press F2 to go into BIOS, and change the boot order to network boot FIRST. Save and reboot.
I wrote up some stuff about Linux on the 722 here (http://cortman.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/linux-on-acer-aspire-one-722-0369/), you may or may not find it interesting. Good luck!
EDIT: I think it's F2. It may be some other F key, it'll say at the Acer splash screen.

Del64
May 9th, 2012, 10:47 PM
That did not work, I even plugged it into the router with the same results.

cortman
May 9th, 2012, 10:58 PM
AFAIK this is a well known problem, and this fix has never failed that I've seen. I'm not sure what your level of proficiency is; but are you sure you're changing the dedicated boot order, and not just choosing to boot from a different device (which is a one-time action)?

Del64
May 9th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Yes. I have changed the order in the BIOS to boot from the network, some Atheros driver, first. All it does is say wired connection failed and exiting this boot which leads to the windows boot manager where I select either Windows or Kubuntu.

edit: Demo mode works now though. Everything else isnt

jadtech
May 10th, 2012, 12:38 AM
did you try the boot modification ??? try pressing f6 trring nomodeset soft spash there are several others

Last Mohican
May 10th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Were you trying to install a netbook version of Kubuntu or did you just do the desktop version? I have a netbook and I want to do the same thing, but if you tried the netbook version maybe I should wait.

Why did you choose the "Windows installation"? My approach is to put it on USB first.

jadtech
May 10th, 2012, 03:31 AM
im not sure why they tried a windows install though its not mine to question , each machine is differnet the way to get a feel to kn ow if it will work well on yours is to get an ISO burn a dvd or bootable USB and see if if will boot and run in test mode ..

some take a bit of tweaking most of the solutions are built in to the live CD a few are not ...

Del64
May 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
What about pressing f6? I did not quiet understand the rest of that sentence lol.

I installed it through Windows using the wubi executable. I did not want to partition my hard drive, which is why I took this direction.

As I said earlier, demo mode of Kubuntu works, backtrack linux as a live cd works; what does not work is finishing the installation in default boot, verbose, and acpi workarounds mode. Verbose mode has gone past the previous steps where it stopped in my first post. I will post another screenshot soon.

I set the PC to network boot first, is there anything else I can do?

cortman
May 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
If you can actually boot to the desktop, blacklisting the acer_wmi module in the kernel seems to help. If you can't and it was a partitioned installation, I'd say chroot in with a live CD, but I'm not sure how all that would work with Wubi.

Del64
May 13th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I can use the demo mode and any other live CD to do that , I am just not sure how. How would I black list the that item?

jadtech
May 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM
look if you are trying to install wubi no partition rather then trying to boot from the cd boot to windows then put the cd in the drive and it will pop up and ask if you want to start the wubi installer ..

nhow ever since you cant get it to boot from the CD I cant say the wubi install will work it will most likly need tweaking ..

keep in mind wubi is a windows program there is no ned to boot from that CD if your not going to parttition how every running live cd and wubi are basically the same Idea with one difference you can down load and install update wubi ..

Del64
May 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I understand that, I am asking how would I would I tweak it aka blacklist this feature by Acer.

jadtech
May 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
wubi install gives you no options of that nature there isn't much in the way of that flexibilty with wubi and I beleive black listing something after its already installed is ponitless since well its already there :)

the help was advice to get the live CD to boot for you , if you dont want to partition you dont need to boot that CD at all , after its all installed if ubuntu has trouble booting you can come back with details and see what needs to be ajusted ..

cortman
May 13th, 2012, 08:07 PM
wubi install gives you no options of that nature there isn't much in the way of that flexibilty with wubi and I beleive black listing something after its already installed is ponitless since well its already there :)

the help was advice to get the live CD to boot for you , if you dont want to partition you dont need to boot that CD at all , after its all installed if ubuntu has trouble booting you can come back with details and see what needs to be ajusted ..

This is misleading and incorrect. Blacklisting kernel modules is a process executed within the Linux system and is unaffected by wubi/virtualization.

I understand that, I am asking how would I would I tweak it aka blacklist this feature by Acer.

You can blacklist it by running the following in a terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add the line

blacklist acer_wmi

to the file, save, and reboot.

jadtech
May 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
there is no terminal though :) he is in windows with a wubi installer !?!?! which comes as part of the ISO ..

all you get to do is click in stall it asked for a user name and password and install then in the end tell you to remove disk and reboot ..

jadtech
May 13th, 2012, 08:35 PM
i do understand what you are attempting to show him to get the live CD to boot how ever not much need to boot from that disk if they want to install wubi just boot to window put the CD in the drive ciick install when the installer comes up ..

I do understand they could have the same issue after the install maybe not..