PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome Shell without Unity

kurt18947
May 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
This is news to me, might be old hat for others. I for one can cope with Unity, I don't hate it but prefer gnome shell with a few extensions. There has been a remix 'in the wild' for a few days, found here:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/ubuntu-gnome-shell-remix-1204-available.html#more

I can do without some of the changed defaults, e.g. evolution but nothing that a little time with Synaptic can't cure. I haven't tried it yet but I think I'm about to.

markbl
May 10th, 2012, 12:00 AM
A simple "apt-get install gnome-shell" is the one-liner you need to add gnome-shell to a vanilla ubuntu 12.04 installation (or click install via ubuntu software center or synaptic if you prefer). Then you can just choose to log in with GNOME (=gnome-shell), or Ubuntu (= Unity) at the login prompt. Neither environment will affect the other.

Ubuntu is the most popular distro (and IMHO the best). Gnome-shell is supported and trivial to install. You don't need to remove Unity, nor do you need a special remix.

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Running it right now a nice alternative for the OCD crowd amongst others that can't have a extra DE, in spite of the advantage of that. Although it does have the fallback gnome as well

zombifier25
May 10th, 2012, 07:17 AM
because

sudo apt-get remove unity
is too mainstream...