PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Successful upgrade to 12.04!

tomdkat
May 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
For the FIRST time as an Ubuntu user, I've been able to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu *without* some kind of problem or issue that required me to find a solution here.

Additionally, Ubuntu 12.04 actually runs, via LiveCD, on my mom's old Dell computer, something previous versions of Ubuntu failed to do.

So far, 12.04 has been stable and the most smooth upgrade experience I've had to date.

Thanks! :)

Peace...

|{urse
May 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Schweet, glad to hear someone is droppin knowledge when things actually go totally fine! I'm always afraid to upgrade. What are your system specs? Any other info? Might help someone out ^^

Pockets free bean ;)

tomdkat
May 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I upgraded from Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit on my dated eMachines T6416 system. Here are some specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon64 @ 2Ghz
RAM: 2.5GB
Hard drive space: ~400GB, with one SATA drive
Video adapter: RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]

I still have an issue with being able to print only ONCE to my USB printer (using a USB to Parallel adapter), but that started with Ubuntu 11.10.

Previously, I would have to go through hoops to get my video card working properly after doing an upgrade, which meant I spent a fair amount of time at a terminal login until I could get the video driver issues resolved. That didn't happen with the 12.04 upgrade.

When I upgraded to 11.10, I lost access to my SATA drive, due to a kernel issue, I believe. I got that access eventually resolved and it was preserved through the 12.04 upgrade.

My USB Bluetooth adapter works flawlessly AND I'm able to browser my mobile phone via Bluetooth, something I could't do with 12.04.

So, I'm basically a happy camper with the Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade. At some point, I'll want to do a fresh install so I can migrate to GRUB2 and ext4 as the filesystem for all of my drives. :)

The system isn't perfect but those aren't related to the Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade. Things like Unity doesn't work well with some applications and Unity isn't well suited to those who don't run application windows maximized. Sometimes Dash has issues, but that was the case with 11.10 too. :)

Peace...