PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] updating and synaptic package

leilton
May 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
From the correspondence I have seen, and general comments, it appears best that if I'm to upgrade to 12.04 Ubuntu, best via CD.

My question is, if I do so, do I lose Xubuntu that I installed via Synaptic rather than via disc (which by the way I don't yet have).

Sorry if silly question, but a lot of work involved in reinserting everything on X if I have to redo all.

jadtech
May 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I believe as long as its an upgrade that you do and not an install everything should remain , the trouble you could run into is if some of the older parts will work with 12.04 ..

what you may run in to is after the upgrade you may find your self at the Ubuntu desk top needing to update the other desk environment to get it all working again ..

I have never done this before the rule and Idea of upgrading though is so that the set up you have remains so other then upgrading the peices it all should be good ..

leilton
May 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I believe as long as its an upgrade that you do and not an install everything should remain , the trouble you could run into is if some of the older parts will work with 12.04 ..

what you may run in to is after the upgrade you may find your self at the Ubuntu desk top needing to update the other desk environment to get it all working again ..

I have never done this before the rule and Idea of upgrading though is so that the set up you have remains so other then upgrading the peices it all should be good ..

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm actually hoping that as I'm using Ubuntu 12.4 (when I get it loaded), Xubuntu will be from that , the update for it will also act as an update for X.

Again thanks for help.